Food & Drink

The Philips Airfryer - Share your recipes

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2015 10:20 pm
Oct 16, 2007
288 posts
6 upvotes

The Philips Airfryer - Share your recipes

Another thread got me started on how much I love my Philips Airfryer. If you have one, share what you've made with us! Here is a list of the things I've tried:
Potato Fries
Sweet Potato Fries
Rotisserie chicken
Crispy Chicken Wings
Taro Chips
Apple Chips
Sweet Potato Chips
Kale Chips
Agedashi Tofu
Salmon Steaks
Halibut Fish and Chips
21 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1148 posts
492 upvotes
drokli wrote: Another thread got me started on how much I love my Philips Airfryer. If you have one, share what you've made with us! Here is a list of the things I've tried:
Potato Fries
Sweet Potato Fries
Rotisserie chicken
Crispy Chicken Wings
Taro Chips
Apple Chips
Sweet Potato Chips
Kale Chips
Agedashi Tofu
Salmon Steaks
Halibut Fish and Chips
How would that one work? I thought battered foods don't work in these type of things.

And how well do you think this would work for something like spring rolls or falafels.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Oct 16, 2007
288 posts
6 upvotes
Maybe not the typical Halibut fish and chips you were thinking. The Airfryer is not AS successful with wet-batter fried foods because the foods sit in a basket that is 'floating' to allow air to circulate. What I did was dredge dried, cleaned halibut in flour, dipped in egg wash, dredge in panko+bread crumbs, then did the last two steps once more. It was as close to a thick batter texture as it could get! I've home made both spring rolls and falafel and they turn out very well too. Again, not like real oil-fried foods, but definitely as close without the guilt. I highly recommend the Airfryer if you like fried foods!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Isn't this the same as the T-Fal Actifry? That thing takes 45 minutes to make french fries.

Is this the one?

Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Not sure why these units don't require any oil like the T-Fal model and still produce some very crispy results.

Actually you can achieve the same results in the conventional oven. This is just a very compact convection oven.

Wouldn't mind trying it if it weren't so expensive. $99 would be a no brainer, but double that, that gives me pause. I have a lot of useless appliances that I thought I would use but only to have it sit in the cupboards.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
15 seconds of Googling tells me this is $200?
I don't know... I'd rather keep my actual fryer.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
death_hawk wrote: 15 seconds of Googling tells me this is $200?
The thing with this is it's very compact and the heat gets really hot real fast. I don't know how much power it draws, but it may be ideal for someone who is a bachelor or a 2 person family to cook a fast meal like the chicken drum sticks. You don't really need to pre-heat and the seasoning stays on the chicken unlike a fryer it just falls off into the oil.

I love to buy those Grace? Jamaican jerk spices and use a generous coating on chicken legs. No Frills sells between 3-5 in a bag and they're usually a smidgen under $5. Great with rice and some steamed vegetables and pretty healthy too if you don't eat the skin, but I do anyway. That's where all the seasoning is. Anyway, I have said enough; I can't give away all my super recipes away ;)
Oct 16, 2007
288 posts
6 upvotes
Nope, not quite the same as the Actifry and it does not rotate the food (an miraculously doesn't need you to manually rotate the food either). I have fries that are piled in the basket, sitting on top of each other. In the 20-30 minutes of cooking, i only need to toss once. Yes, because it is like a convection oven. But the problem with your standard convection mode on your oven is that typically your fries are sitting on a pan, which has a cooler surface and all sides of your food don't cook at the same rate. With the Airfryer, hot air is distributing around all sides of the food and it almost dehydrates the outside, making the crispyness. That is why it can make apple chips so well.
Supercooled wrote: Not sure why these units don't require any oil like the T-Fal model and still produce some very crispy results.

Actually you can achieve the same results in the conventional oven. This is just a very compact convection oven.

Wouldn't mind trying it if it weren't so expensive. $99 would be a no brainer, but double that, that gives me pause. I have a lot of useless appliances that I thought I would use but only to have it sit in the cupboards.
Oct 16, 2007
288 posts
6 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: 15 seconds of Googling tells me this is $200?
Yes, $200, but think about the oil in your actual fryer. Might as well get the $8 combos at the local fast food joint, then, right?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
drokli wrote: Yes, $200, but think about the oil in your actual fryer.
What about it?
Might as well get the $8 combos at the local fast food joint, then, right?
What? This doesn't even make sense.
Oct 16, 2007
288 posts
6 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: What about it?

What? This doesn't even make sense.
Sorry - I'm only saying that you're consuming the oil used to fry your foods. If you keep your actual fryer, then you're eating foods that are full of oil - same as the fried foods from the fast food restaurants. Is that clearer to understand? I was only trying to argue that the $200 is spent on a healthier eating lifestyle.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
drokli wrote: Sorry - I'm only saying that you're consuming the oil used to fry your foods. If you keep your actual fryer, then you're eating foods that are full of oil - same as the fried foods from the fast food restaurants. Is that clearer to understand?
It's about as clear as mud because it's false.
I'm not saying you're not consuming any oil, but to say that it's anywhere near "full" of oil is ridiculous.
If that were true, I'd be having to top up my oil between changes.
I was only trying to argue that the $200 is spent on a healthier eating lifestyle.
I would argue that the taste and texture of fried foods will beat anything that comes out of any device that isn't a deep fryer.
There is no way to replicate the properties and heat conduction of oil.
Oct 16, 2007
288 posts
6 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: It's about as clear as mud because it's false.
I'm not saying you're not consuming any oil, but to say that it's anywhere near "full" of oil is ridiculous.
If that were true, I'd be having to top up my oil between changes.

I would argue that the taste and texture of fried foods will beat anything that comes out of any device that isn't a deep fryer.
There is no way to replicate the properties and heat conduction of oil.
Sorry, this thread wasn't started to pick a fight - sorry I used "full" incorrectly. The fact of the matter is, using one tablespoon of oil coating fries is a lot healthier than dunking fries in oil and frying them the old fashioned way, right? Thanks for your input but let's get some recipes shared by Airfryer owners! :D
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
drokli wrote: The fact of the matter is, using one tablespoon of oil coating fries is a lot healthier than dunking fries in oil and frying them the old fashioned way, right?
Actually this would be absorbed because it's just sitting on the fries. When deep frying, the hot oil hits the water in the fries causing it to push out keeping oil from seeping in.
So at the end of the day, you're getting comparable amounts of oil between the 2 cooking methods, except that oil is far more efficient at heat transfer therefore producing a better product.
Oct 16, 2007
288 posts
6 upvotes
WOW. Thank you, death_hawk for all your wisdom and knowledge. All hail death_hawk! Congratulations! You win!
Go find another thread to pick a fight, but nobody asked for you opinion. I asked for people to share recipes. From people that own or care to talk about the positives around the Airfryer. Thank you again!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Well this thread went south fast.

So drako can you say honestky the taste is pound for pounf the same as deep frjed? Can you be duped ina blind fold test?

I would like to try this but $200 is just too rich for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
Supercooled wrote: Well this thread went south fast.

So drako can you say honestky the taste is pound for pounf the same as deep frjed? Can you be duped ina blind fold test?

I would like to try this but $200 is just too rich for me.

nothing to do with the thread. thread was asking for recipes, not a taste test challenge.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2136 posts
1965 upvotes
drokli wrote: WOW. Thank you, death_hawk for all your wisdom and knowledge. All hail death_hawk! Congratulations! You win!
Go find another thread to pick a fight, but nobody asked for you opinion. I asked for people to share recipes. From people that own or care to talk about the positives around the Airfryer. Thank you again!
Well, actually, you did express an opinion about health benefits of the air fryer vs deep fryer, so it was fir game to debunk that. But go back to your thread, extolling the virtues of this wonder appliance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)