• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2010 9:42 am
[OP]
Feb 20, 2002
933 posts
320 upvotes

[Canada Post] Philips PHDTV3 antenna (refurb?) - $17.95+shipping

More offers from Canada Post
During my research into indoor antennae for receiving over-the-air HDTV, I came across the Philips PHDTV3. It is a clone of the Zenith Silver Sensor (though the aesthetics are different). It also has a built-in amplifier for weak signals.

Philips PHDTV3 for $17.95

Sold by FCSurplus (specializes in surplus stuff), I would assume that this is a refurb or equivalent with no manufacturer's warranty. FCSurplus will do exchanges for defective merchandise within 14 days but no refunds.

I had to call in my order because the online checkout has a $24 minimum for shipping. Shipping to Toronto came out to $10.80 via Canada Post. I could not find a cheaper deal elsewhere for the PHDTV3 or other Silver Sensor clones like the Terk HDTVa. Hope this helps anyone looking for an indoor antenna.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1390 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
Unless you live in 100m from CN tower, this antenna is a waste of money. You won't be able to receive anything.
Dec 28, 2006
575 posts
111 upvotes
[QUOTE]Aug 25th, 2010 12:38 PM
andrew4321 don't buy it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless you live in 100m from CN tower, this antenna is a waste of money. You won't be able to receive anything.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100m from the CN tower and was able to get all the Canadian Channels with this antenna, but the US ones weren't very reliable. I've since upgraded to a bigger, more expensive antenna and can get a few of the Buffalo channels more reliably, but I did have good luck with this one for the Canadian channels. Having said that, I'm in Don Mills on the 19th floor of a condo with a SW view (I can clearly see the CN tower if I look out most windows or from my balcony). Height and a clear view of the CN tower definitely play a factor - if you're on the ground floor of a building or are in a house and don't have a clear view of the CN tower than, yes, this would be a waste, but if you're fairly high up and can see the CN tower then I'd give this a go.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8921 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
This thing is a PIECE OF CRAP. Do not confuse it with the other Philips Silver Sensor. I returned it after I saw it picked up 1 channel instead of the usual 5 I had with the Philips Silver Sensor model. And the one channel was about 50% LOWER signal than with my original antenna!!!

DO NOT BUY THIS THING UNLESS IT'S $1, it can't pick up ANYTHING properly. It is NOT a silver sensor model.
Reviews of people getting no channels or 1, pretty much "poor/very poor" ratings compared to the "good reviews": http://www.hdtvantennalabs.com/reviews/ ... ews_1.html
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5449 posts
231 upvotes
Mississauga
andrew4321 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 12:38 pm
althoma1 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 12:54 pm
I'm not 100m from the CN tower and was able to get all the Canadian Channels with this antenna, but the US ones weren't very reliable. I've since upgraded to a bigger, more expensive antenna and can get a few of the Buffalo channels more reliably, but I did have good luck with this one for the Canadian channels. Having said that, I'm in Don Mills on the 19th floor of a condo with a SW view (I can clearly see the CN tower if I look out most windows or from my balcony). Height and a clear view of the CN tower definitely play a factor - if you're on the ground floor of a building or are in a house and don't have a clear view of the CN tower than, yes, this would be a waste, but if you're fairly high up and can see the CN tower then I'd give this a go.
yuprules wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 1:21 pm
This thing is a PIECE OF CRAP. Do not confuse it with the other Philips Silver Sensor. I returned it after I saw it picked up 1 channel instead of the usual 14 I had with the Philips Silver Sensor model.

DO NOT BUY THIS THING UNLESS IT'S $1, it can't pick up ANYTHING properly. It's as bad as RABBIT EARS from the dollar store.
Wow, lots of mis-information here. I own this antenna, bought new from Dell 2 years ago.

I live Yonge/Finch, west-side, 7th floor facing East, condos all over surrounding me except for the East opening. Can get all the Canadian channels (sometimes have to adjust depending on which channels I want), I get some US channels, including the difficult to obtain NBC (again some adjusting depending on what I want). I can get CBC without even turning on the built-in amp. Is it a waste of money? Not for me, and I don't live high up and get that many channels already. I watched World Cup and the Winter Olympics with this bad boy with no problems. 5.1 sound and all.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2005
1055 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal
I currently get only 4-5 channels here in Montreal with the usual FM antenna, will this help get more channels? I have a few buildings around me
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8921 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
M-e-X-x wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 1:34 pm
Wow, lots of mis-information here. I own this antenna, bought new from Dell 2 years ago.

I live Yonge/Finch, west-side, 7th floor facing East, condos all over surrounding me except for the East opening. Can get all the Canadian channels (sometimes have to adjust depending on which channels I want), I get some US channels, including the difficult to obtain NBC (again some adjusting depending on what I want). I can get CBC without even turning on the built-in amp. Is it a waste of money? Not for me, and I don't live high up and get that many channels already. I watched World Cup and the Winter Olympics with this bad boy with no problems. 5.1 sound and all.
I guess all the people in that link I posted are wrong too :) Pretty much 3 to 1 "poor rating" compared to "good" on that page. I wouldn't buy this ever again nor would I recommend it to anyone. You must had gotten lucky because of your location.

Link of end user reviews to save scrolling: http://www.hdtvantennalabs.com/reviews/ ... ews_1.html
optimum wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 1:38 pm
I currently get only 4-5 channels here in Montreal with the usual FM antenna, will this help get more channels? I have a few buildings around me
I bought this so called HDTV antenna from Dell 2 years ago also for $30 some odd dollars, it was a piece of crap. I returned it right away.

Maybe get this instead as Montreal is really hard to find OTA stuff:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

But first PM me your location for more specifics and I can help you out to get U.S. channels and such without hijacking this thread. I'd be glad to help as I've been helping friends get OTA HD for 3 years in Montreal before we even got an HD transmitter for CBC :)
Nov 23, 2005
15 posts
7 upvotes
Has anyone used this antenna or any others in Ottawa?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8921 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
Dreg wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 2:14 pm
Has anyone used this antenna or any others in Ottawa?
My friend bought a REAL (not this one!) Philips Silver Sensor, he gets CBC and Omni Ottawa (CTV and Global are not HD yet till next year).
Apr 28, 2010
22 posts
7 upvotes
PC Cyber also advertises a few refurbished Philips in-door HDTV antennaes on their website from 5.77 to 13.77 but most are out of stock right now.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2002
933 posts
320 upvotes
yuprules wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 2:29 pm
My friend bought a REAL (not this one!) Philips Silver Sensor, he gets CBC and Omni Ottawa (CTV and Global are not HD yet till next year).
I wish you would stop spouting off nonsense in this thread. First off, the original Silver Sensor was made by Zenith, as in the Zenith Silver Sensor. Secondly, there are several ZSS clones including the Philips PHDTV3, Philips PHDTV1, Terk HDTVi, Terk HDTVa, and Channel Master 4020. So whether or not you choose to believe it, the PHDTV3 is actually a Silver Sensor clone. Check the digitalhome forums for more (correct) info.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8921 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
vader_slri wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 3:07 pm
I wish you would stop spouting off nonsense in this thread. First off, the original Silver Sensor was made by Zenith, as in the Zenith Silver Sensor. Secondly, there are several ZSS clones including the Philips PHDTV3, Philips PHDTV1, Terk HDTVi, Terk HDTVa, and Channel Master 4020. So whether or not you choose to believe it, the PHDTV3 is actually a Silver Sensor clone. Check the digitalhome forums for more (correct) info.
Nonsense? This PHDTV3 antenna is GARBAGE, that is a fact. It has been given nothing but bad reviews on the internet. It is not only from my own personal experience from owning one that this model is crap...the http://www.hdtvantennalabs.com/reviews/ ... ews_1.html has pages upon pages of "poor/very poor reviews" where a REAL Silver Sensor or Silver Sensor clone rarely has that many bad reviews.

This is a Silver Sensor Clone by Philips http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PM-HDTV1- ... B00022O9VM. This plastic PHDTV3 in this thread is a piece of garbage, it is NOT even close to what a proper Silver Sensor or clone can receive.
Nov 23, 2007
4 posts
1 upvote
Canada
I bought this PHDTV1, it is not a silver sensor. It couldn't lock onto a single channel. I returned it the same day.

For this price, get a real Zenith or Philips clone from stores that are scattered across Missisauga for $15!
[OP]
Feb 20, 2002
933 posts
320 upvotes
yuprules wrote:
Aug 25th, 2010 3:09 pm
Nonsense? This PHDTV3 antenna is GARBAGE, that is a fact. It has been given nothing but bad reviews on the internet. It is not only from my own personal experience from owning one that this model is crap...the http://www.hdtvantennalabs.com/reviews/ ... ews_1.html has pages upon pages of "poor/very poor reviews" where a REAL Silver Sensor or Silver Sensor clone rarely has that many bad reviews.

This is a Silver Sensor Clone by Philips http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PM-HDTV1- ... B00022O9VM. This plastic PHDTV3 in this thread is a piece of garbage, it is NOT even close to what a proper Silver Sensor or clone can receive.
The difference between the PHDTV1 and PHDTV3 is that the latter one includes an amplifier. Inside the plastic shroud of the PHDTV3 is the exact same log periodic dipole array.