Philips-Saeco Stainless-Steel GranBaristo Espresso Machine

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2017 5:26 pm
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
3882 posts
1024 upvotes
Great deal, but careful, toll and water tank goes in from the top, so no cabinets above on the counter unless you want to move it every time, major PITA

Full review here
May 31, 2016
19 posts
13 upvotes
Great deal - I have one of these machines. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1395 posts
176 upvotes
lifeisfuneh wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 6:25 am
Great deal, but careful, toll and water tank goes in from the top, so no cabinets above on the counter unless you want to move it every time, major PITA

Full review here
Not that much of a PITA... there's enough clearance for me to pour water in without moving the machine.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1623 posts
486 upvotes
Is it only me who thinks $1500 (let alone 2500) for an espresso machine at home is freaking ridiculous???
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4796 posts
1348 upvotes
ON
djredhat wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 7:12 pm
Is it only me who thinks $1500 (let alone 2500) for an espresso machine at home is freaking ridiculous???
Pfffft...plebeian.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1144 posts
432 upvotes
Montreal, QC
djredhat wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 7:12 pm
It's not ridiculous... What is ridiculous, is paying $7 every morning for a crappy coffee at CharBucks. If the machine stands the test of time, then it is worth it.
I have a old Saeco Vienna Deluxe for nearly 4 or 5 yrs now, and buddy had bought it refurb from newegg.ca about 3 yrs before that (and gave me it). Was not as expensive, but still a significant amount at the time when he bought it. It has served us well all these years, so even if it dies tomorrow, I won't feel bad. At 2 or 3 Americano/Espresso a day being pulled from the unit, it has paid itself off easily over the years. Just my morning double shot Americano for the drive to work, is enough to pay itself off in no time. And I get to choose my roast/coffee. That's not including the number of cappucinos and other drinks during get togethers. It is so easy to make a coffee, that I have pretty much put my regular coffee maker away, and it only comes out during large family get togethers, where some people prefer black water :)

Before one of these automated units, I had a Mokita Combi (rebranded Lelit/Imat PL042 unit with very slight mods), since I didn't have the cash to buy the Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder I wanted at the time :). I still have the unit, but keep in in my basement kitchen as a backup. unit. It has a great Lux grinder, and makes a pretty nice coffee (assuming the right beans obviously). It was slightly better than the automatic I use now, but laziness prevailed :)

So is $1500 a lot of money for a machine.. Absolutely.. However if it stands the test of time, and doesn't fail prematurely like some some high end Delonghi units (sister had one - and I promised I'd never get anything from Delonghi again), then it is worth it.
For those in Montreal, we have a Saeco service center on St Laurent street (not far from Jarry). And for those that are more technically inclined, you can buy all Philips (including Saeco) parts at ElectroTech which is just off the Aut13 and Henri Bourassa. So at least support is not far away if needed.

Personally, I prefer simpler units (I'm old school, but to each his own). This unit has quite a bit of electronics, which often means, a lot more things to go wrong. I don't care for bells and whistles, as long as the coffee is good.
For those who don't mind refurb, I found this place a few years ago (in Laval, not far from Montreal), and a friend got a unit from them, and he has been happy. Machines start at about $360 and go up. For about $500 you can get a decent machine.
Or something like this at about $800 would probably also serve most pretty well.

However, the Costco return policy is always there if you decide to get this machine and don't like it. Exactly what my sister did with her Delonghi :)
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2012
1416 posts
497 upvotes
pays for itself in 1-2 years + with the health benefits of coffee = it would be ridiculous not to have one.. = )

this is a nice piece of machine - seems like a good deal and worth every penny ... but i am content with my basic $400 breville BES870 machine. lol
Jul 21, 2013
389 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
HRhater wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:26 pm
pays for itself in 1-2 years + with the health benefits of coffee = it would be ridiculous not to have one.. = )

this is a nice piece of machine - seems like a good deal and worth every penny ... but i am content with my basic $400 breville BES870 machine. lol
Agree. We had a Nespresso, and when I showed my wife we have our money completely out of it after only a year she was sold. We have the one without the automatic milk thing and it makes great coffee.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1813 posts
279 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
So anyone with this machine ?
Are you happy with the purchase ?