• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2013 12:49 am
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4910 posts
753 upvotes
quanvn wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 4:04 am
Is it better than the iphone app that does this?
There is no way a cellphone can kick out as much light as an actual table lamp such as these ones offered by Philips.

I set mine on 20 (the maximum allowable setting) so that it's as bright as possible when I want to wake up. It's bright enough as a bedside reading lamp and dimmable all the way down if you want to set the mood. This thing has now replaced both my traditional alarm clock AND my traditional bedside lamp in one appliance.

Note that when you flick on a traditional bedside lamp, it will come right on at full force and is a harsh transition from darkness. The Philips lamps fade in when you turn it on, so it doesn't hit you like a freight train. It turns off in the same way, powering down to give you a couple of seconds of fading light so you can adjust yourself in bed before pitch blackness.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1053 posts
136 upvotes
Brampton
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 4:21 am
There is no way a cellphone can kick out as much light as an actual table lamp such as these ones offered by Philips.

I set mine on 20 (the maximum allowable setting) so that it's as bright as possible when I want to wake up. It's bright enough as a bedside reading lamp and dimmable all the way down if you want to set the mood. This thing has now replaced both my traditional alarm clock AND my traditional bedside lamp in one appliance.

Note that when you flick on a traditional bedside lamp, it will come right on at full force and is a harsh transition from darkness. The Philips lamps fade in when you turn it on, so it doesn't hit you like a freight train. It turns off in the same way, powering down to give you a couple of seconds of fading light so you can adjust yourself in bed before pitch blackness.
I was referring to the waking up method with the sounds to slowly wake you up, thanks for the info about the lighting I'm really thinking about getting one. I am not a morning person and snooze for like 30-40mins.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3300 posts
719 upvotes
Wow! I just learned about this product.
I WILL get one.. maybe on boxing day, I don't know but eventually I'll get it.

Looks like the perfect way to wake up!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1053 posts
136 upvotes
Brampton
Couldn't help it, I just bought one. Thanks OP
Nov 24, 2012
667 posts
111 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
slowtyper wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 8:04 am
There was a thread earlier with some good info on these lights but the thread got deleted.

I ordered from sears with a 12% discount and free shipping, however its backordered and it was estimated it would be sent out on dec 31 (I doubt that).

http://www.sears.ca/product/philips-wak ... F3470_5_60 At the time ( a couple days ago ), it was on sale for $84.48, but the sale has just ended it seems.

Just saw on costco.ca they have a newer model on sale, it goes for the same regular price on amazon.COM, which means its a pretty good deal for us Canadians. http://www.costco.ca/Philips%C2%AE-HF35 ... reId=10302

Note, this is DIFFERENT from the $140 one on amazon.ca http://www.amazon.ca/Philips-HF3520-Wak ... 997&sr=8-1

The amazon one has sunset coloured simulation and the costco one is only white I believe.
Ye I posted the Sears deal and they deleted the thread before I could get properly thanked :(
Nov 24, 2012
667 posts
111 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I snagged one of the Costco ones too. Gonna see if its worth the extra $20 or so dollars.

Let me know if you see the GoLite Blu energy lamp go on sale as well!!
Jun 19, 2010
180 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks op... ordered a costco one, hoping it works out okay and that it maybe arrives before Christmas.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4910 posts
753 upvotes
quanvn wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 4:32 am
I was referring to the waking up method with the sounds to slowly wake you up, thanks for the info about the lighting I'm really thinking about getting one. I am not a morning person and snooze for like 30-40mins.
For years, I had been relying on a cellphone alarm to wake me up. I snoozed forty minutes each morning, ignoring the first few alarms before finally groggily tearing myself out of the warm comforts of bed. My alarm tone was always set to favourite, blaring, energetic rock songs, ones that typically get me fired up about going out on Friday and Saturday nights, so the intention behind those tracks was to get me shooting out of bed ready to take on the world. The fact that I slept through my favourite party/attitude songs rendered sound ineffective for me. Also attesting to my ignoring sound is that my upstairs neighbour can be stomping around and I always seem to fall back asleep rather quickly.

Now that I have this Philips device, I've realized sound alone isn't enough. Light must also be present, like in nature with the sun rising. Light tells the brain it's time to wake up. Don't get me wrong, I can sleep and take naps when it is broad daylight, but the combination of the two help synergistically. Both sound and light are available on devices such as these.

Random musing... apparently the sound of a baby (especially your own) crying is an extremely effective way to wake up due to the evolutionary implication that, as a vulnerable cave dwelling family, your offspring was in danger of being threatened by something frightening, like a predator or the elements, and you as a parent or guardian would immediately shoot up from slumber to come to your baby's rescue. Survival of the species depended on your quick reaction and rapid awakening to the waking state so that your children could live and continue to pass on your genes. However, as effective as the sound of an infant's cries incorporated into a wake-up light would be, it would also be an extremely harsh and abrupt way to transition into the waking world... :lol: I suppose that's why these Philips devices have built-in soothing sounds, like the tropical chiming tone and the sound of birds chirping. For those who desire the harshness of an unnatural sound, FM radio is always available as an option for those who want to leap out of bed to the musical stylings of Gangnam Style or Call Me Maybe. :lol:
BarcaFan wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 5:13 am
Ye I posted the Sears deal and they deleted the thread before I could get properly thanked :(
Now I'm curious. What exactly happened to that old thread? I don't watch Hot Deals like a hawk, but I definitely would have tried to participate in that thread if I had seen it, due to the subject matter it entailed.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1053 posts
136 upvotes
Brampton
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 2:07 pm
For years, I had been relying on a cellphone alarm to wake me up. I snoozed forty minutes each morning, ignoring the first few alarms before finally groggily tearing myself out of the warm comforts of bed. My alarm tone was always set to favourite, blaring, energetic rock songs, ones that typically get me fired up about going out on Friday and Saturday nights, so the intention behind those tracks was to get me shooting out of bed ready to take on the world. The fact that I slept through my favourite party/attitude songs rendered sound ineffective for me. Also attesting to my ignoring sound is that my upstairs neighbour can be stomping around and I always seem to fall back asleep rather quickly.

Now that I have this Philips device, I've realized sound alone isn't enough. Light must also be present, like in nature with the sun rising. Light tells the brain it's time to wake up. Don't get me wrong, I can sleep and take naps when it is broad daylight, but the combination of the two help synergistically. Both sound and light are available on devices such as these.

Random musing... apparently the sound of a baby (especially your own) crying is an extremely effective way to wake up due to the evolutionary implication that, as a vulnerable cave dwelling family, your offspring was in danger of being threatened by something frightening, like a predator or the elements, and you as a parent or guardian would immediately shoot up from slumber to come to your baby's rescue. Survival of the species depended on your quick reaction and rapid awakening to the waking state so that your children could live and continue to pass on your genes. However, as effective as the sound of an infant's cries incorporated into a wake-up light would be, it would also be an extremely harsh and abrupt way to transition into the waking world... :lol: I suppose that's why these Philips devices have built-in soothing sounds, like the tropical chiming tone and the sound of birds chirping. For those who desire the harshness of an unnatural sound, FM radio is always available as an option for those who want to leap out of bed to the musical stylings of Gangnam Style or Call Me Maybe. :lol:

Now I'm curious. What exactly happened to that old thread? I don't watch Hot Deals like a hawk, but I definitely would have tried to participate in that thread if I had seen it, due to the subject matter it entailed.
Great, I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this then. Thanks for the review
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1496 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
quanvn wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 4:32 am
I believe you are referring to Sleep Cycle. I used that app for over a year before I bought the Philips Lamp, and although it worked fairly well, I still found myself hitting the snooze button a few times before finally getting up. I found that if you sleep in a dark room, trying to wake up even at the appropriate time (according to the app) is still difficult as your body still thinks it's night.

The main advantage of the lamp over the app is that the light helps trigger your body to wake up gradually by simulating sunlight. I'm finding I'm less groggy waking up now then before.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4910 posts
753 upvotes
grego9198 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 2:53 pm
The main advantage of the lamp over the app is that the light helps trigger your body to wake up gradually by simulating sunlight. I'm finding I'm less groggy waking up now then before.
I concur with this. After having a Philips lamp for a few weeks now with daily use, I can attest to less grogginess. I am NOT a morning person and I usually want to murder everyone in my path. I haven't felt nearly as uncooperative or zombie-like upon rolling out of bed as I used to with a cellphone alarm.

Mind you, lately, now that I've become accustomed to this device, I still snooze and I don't roll out of bed right away as soon as the light level hits maximum and the sound starts playing. I still take time to rouse once everything is on full blast. On weekdays, I'll still lie in bed for another 10-15 minutes, letting the light and soothing sounds stimulate my poorly evolved reptile brain into thinking daytime has arrived (when in fact it is still pitch black outside as expected during this time of year), drifting in and out of a light sleep during this duration. At least waking up in this way is less harsh than a cellphone alarm or traditional alarm and I have noticed a huge improvement in my mood. I may still not be a morning person, but it has taken the murderous edge off.

On weekends, I will snooze over an hour with the device trying to wake me up on full blast. :lol: At least by the time I do roll out of bed, I'm pretty much ready to go and in a good mood. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1053 posts
136 upvotes
Brampton
grego9198 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 2:53 pm
I believe you are referring to Sleep Cycle. I used that app for over a year before I bought the Philips Lamp, and although it worked fairly well, I still found myself hitting the snooze button a few times before finally getting up. I found that if you sleep in a dark room, trying to wake up even at the appropriate time (according to the app) is still difficult as your body still thinks it's night.

Thanks, my room is in the basement with no windows so it is pitch black.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
3904 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
For those that can order and pickup from the states, Amazon.COM has a $20 coupon on the Philips wake up light, bringing the 3510 to $79.99 and the 3520 to $99.99
× < >