Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Philips wake up light, $100 at costco.ca

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2013 12:49 am
Nov 28, 2006
431 posts
53 upvotes
to the people that have or bought this, can you give a review? is it worth it?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2006
1320 posts
191 upvotes
tchoke wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 11:09 am
Did you read anything up there ^^^?? Especially everything CanadaGooseForumAdmin said?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1053 posts
136 upvotes
Brampton
tchoke wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 11:09 am
Nethervue wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 11:12 am
Did you read anything up there ^^^?? Especially everything CanadaGooseForumAdmin said?
+1

I suggest try reading the whole thread, not just the last post.
Apr 27, 2008
735 posts
167 upvotes
fathom wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 3:09 pm
I bought the old shape and love it. I'm not a morning person and really makes a difference
con: my wife is a morning person so even at the lowest setting it wakes her up, so she's up 30min than the actual alarm (also means coffee in bed for me though lol).

The Costco deal is better IMHO: comes with a replacement bulb , dimming light as you go to sleep, and 20-40min light in the morning vs. just 30min fixed time.
aasoror wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 10:59 pm
Is that extra bulb confirmed, didn't catch it on the costco page.
aasoror wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 9:47 am
Any one ?
Curtis_E_Bare wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 10:55 am
No extra bulb when I purchased mine from Costco.
The Costco.ca website does not state that an extra bulb is included. Rather, it states, "Includes replaceable halogen lamp" meaning one is included, and is a type of bulb that can be replaced. If it said included "replacement" halogen lamp, one would expect it would have an extra bulb. Hope that helps clarify things. Cheers.
Aug 1, 2006
488 posts
44 upvotes
shizzle what if my head turns the other way while i was sleeping..
not trolling. just saying. its $100 for an alarm clock =.="
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4910 posts
753 upvotes
ahTin1257 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 11:48 am
shizzle what if my head turns the other way while i was sleeping..
not trolling. just saying. its $100 for an alarm clock =.="
Alarm clock PLUS a very bright dimmable light good for reading at full brightness and setting the mood at lower increments. Well worth the $100 or less.

Somewhat irrelevant regarding your head orientation because this device is quite bright and casts light throughout your bedroom (my room is about 12ft x 12ft). I typically sleep on the side of the bed opposite the bedside table where the lamp is, and I still wake up due to sufficient light levels given off by the device.

The bigger problem is what to do if there is a power outage in the middle of the night. In traditional alarm clocks, you can insert a 9V battery as a backup source of power. It was discussed in the previous thread (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/lightnin ... a-1258724/) that this Philips lamp has a built-in battery backup, which was rumoured to last 15 minutes if the electrical supply to it were cut off. I was able to unplug the device, then quickly plug it back in, and it kept the programming intact. Upon trying for a slightly longer unplugged period, it did not retain the programming, but I postulated that it was because the device needs to stay plugged into the wall to actually charge the battery to full capacity first before it can sustain fifteen full minutes of no primary power source. I never got around to testing it again.

Thus I have been unable to tear myself away from the shackles of having my cellphone as a backup, just in case the power goes out longer than fifteen minutes during the middle of the night.
Jul 13, 2009
170 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Canadagoose, is the light more of a white light like natural sunlight or is the halogen more orangey? Orange light in the morning still gives me the urge to kill.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1017 posts
98 upvotes
Maple
Bit the bullet on this. Will see how it affects my husband. He's the type that snoozes for 30 minutes each day, wakes up still groggy, and then gets to work late.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4910 posts
753 upvotes
Here's a good video showing the colour temperature of the light, quite accurate to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlk8HoHzyoM

Obviously the sun itself kicks out an enormous array of wavelengths that have profound effects on earth's creatures that are not replicable on an artificial light source such as this device, but I think Philips attempts to replicate as wide a spectrum as possible, and thus the light that this device emits is as close to natural white light as possible.

When the device is fading in, the casing emits a white glow, but you can see the halogen filament through the casing and it appears as a small orange circle... almost like a rising sun. ;) Too bad these days I usually sleep through the warmup period and only notice the light is on full blast after its 30 minute fade-in process has elapsed and the device is making sounds. :lol:
May 15, 2012
53 posts
10 upvotes
KAMLOOPS
DealFiend wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 5:36 pm
Does anyone know if they have it in-store?
Anyone know of anywhere that has it other than costco? I don't have a membership was hoping to price match somewhere. Can't find it online anywhere....
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
18189 posts
107681 upvotes
GTA
I recently picked up the 3520 (LED w/ sunrise simulation) and tested it out for the first time today. Definitely a huge improvement over waking up to the alarm on my cell - wasn't groggy at all. I woke up as soon as the sound came on (yet feeling very refreshed) which tells me the light did its job. I'll have to see whether this proves effective in the long run or whether I'll just end up getting used to it and sleep through it. As mentioned, the unit does not have a reliable battery backup system, so definitely have another alarm set as a backup.
Mar 5, 2011
41 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks OP, I ordered from Costco. :)
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4218 upvotes
Can't you just get a high-powered industrial spotlight and hook that up to a timer to get the same effect?
× < >