Students

Philosophical question -- what can or cannot be shared about student affairs on RFD and in real life

[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
224 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

Philosophical question -- what can or cannot be shared about student affairs on RFD and in real life

An example
Zeeodd wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 5:29 pm
Hi miniimufin,
Curious to know what the entry level salary for a newly minted public health inspector is, preferable in peel/halton health units. Also is it easy to land a full-time permanent job or is it all contracts nowadays?
miniimufin wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 3:03 pm
Hi Zeeodd, I'm still in the program so i couldn't tell you what the requirements for a basic entry level job would look like. The Program assistant (Darlene) sends us jobs through email once or so per week but even then its mostly for grads with 1-2 years of experience and for those who are already certified inspectors. I highly recommend you find internships while in the program. http://www.ciphi.ca/careers/position-place/ this site should give you an overview of whats expected at the intermediate level (we're talking 4-5 years of experience). Also i'm in occupational health, so i'm not too sure about public health.
Having read those posts above, I want to ask what information can be shared as a student or prospect for undergrad, postgrad or college? Privacy is an issue, let alone competitiveness of individuals... Spare me if I ask the wrong question... Becoming a post-secondary student with a mindset of a high school student is a foretelling of problems at post-secondary...
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4432 posts
2061 upvotes
Edmonton
Not sure what your question is... Salary ranges are pretty public. They're readily available on the Internet, many organizations make them available, etc. So there's no "philosophical" (did you mean ethical?) question about sharing that information. People shouldn't post someone else's specific salary information, but that's about it.

C
Jul 1, 2009
660 posts
105 upvotes
The only thing I can think of is the difference between repping for the university/college vs. private discussion.
For example, if I get asked by the department to go and talk about the program to potential students or whoever, I'm there to promote the program. By doing so, if there are potential problems with the program, I'll have to skirt the question or downplay the issues and stick with the positive talking points.
However, if someone later in private asks me what I think of the program, then I can say whatever I want.

Otherwise there really is no harm in sharing what the program is about and how things are run. Information like that can be easily obtained by talking to the program coordinator/administrator or admissions people.
Dec 12, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
okay... not aware of any breached ethical or moral codes. I'm not a representative for any school. I just shared my personal experience. Care to elaborate?

Having read those posts above, I want to ask what information can be shared as a student or prospect for undergrad, postgrad or college? Privacy is an issue, let alone competitiveness of individuals... Spare me if I ask the wrong question... Becoming a post-secondary student with a mindset of a high school student is a foretelling of problems at post-secondary...
[/quote]
[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
224 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Your responses lead me possibly to think whether asking questions on student affairs is ethical or not. Maybe it is a part of original question but I was thinking more about a big picture idea. What information will be shared? For example, a mentor at a college would share more about student life than a teaching assistant who share more about program related answers. However, classmates in the same program are often on your team on performance because all are studying in the same program. They may not share all ideas about issues which grading matters in. So far the shared experiences are all about different content but the same environment -- the school.
So having said that, the medium -- the school or the RFD -- I think is at least or even more important then the content. An example that RFDer is conscious about the medium follows. It is not a fancy new idea but more an observation.
surflife6 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 11:04 pm
I don't want to go into too much detail as anyone can read this but [PM-ing is possible].
If you the readers prefer concept than observation, an application of McLuhan's "The Medium is the Message is fitting. For example, given information shared on the Seneca thread, I can have a conversation with a mentor and newcomers during the welcoming week in September, even though I may also be a newcomer without knowing much about the college. Given that communication, I would make friends more easily and connect better at Seneca. In other words, I take the RFDers' online communication on content in post and the medium in how information is shared into real life network -- global village. My identity perceived by my network of schoolmates can possibly be made up of these communication -- a reason numerous one post RFDers ask or express an idea that appears biased in the observation of other readers. Reciprocity makes online sharing of information work. I am replying with my ideas.

Obviously, a RFDer can express random whatever things and that expression replaces the meaning of the message with no meaning at all. So say whatever you like about the ethics or sharing experience in this thread. For myself, I was just releasing extra thinking when I am searching about college programs, admissions and stuff. In other words, this particular post -- not the thread -- is relaxing my brain... sorry if I take your time away. Back to real life.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5909 posts
576 upvotes
Greely
niroopg wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:17 pm
What in the world...?
This sums it up well.