Off Topic

Phoenix payroll mess - 'Can't guarantee' fixing Phoenix won't cost $1B: Qualtrough

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 9:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5152 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:38 am
7,000 federal workers in a backlog of cases now...

Backlog of pay problems shrinking, but underpaid workers still face 'long road'
http://rdnewsnow.com/article/529692/bac ... -long-road
That headline made me laugh. They have taken the original 80,000 and whittled it down to 7,000. What they are not saying is how many have been added to the pile in the meantime. Mine is certainly there somewhere although 6 weeks after filing the appropriate documentation, I still do not even have acknowledgement, let alone a resolution.
Jul 5, 2004
22210 posts
2100 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:38 am
7,000 federal workers in a backlog of cases now...

Backlog of pay problems shrinking, but underpaid workers still face 'long road'
http://rdnewsnow.com/article/529692/bac ... -long-road
This is so misleading. As every federal employee knows, the issues that are occurring today are exactly the same as a year ago. If your pay is fine, it's likely to remain that way as long as you don't change anything. If you go into a different position, get a pay raise, or change anything related to your pay, that's when the problems arise. Most people who do have to change their pay will end up with major pay problems. The worst part of the whole thing is that there is nobody to actually talk to about resolving the problem. The provided solution is to send an electronic document with the issue. The problem is those seem to go nowhere.

The entire Phoenix system is still a pile of shit. Nothing has changed.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23383 posts
1101 upvotes
Markham, ON
The 7,000 will be compensated with a picture with JT. Everyone will be happy now.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1397 posts
200 upvotes
Mississauga
Shaner wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:04 pm
This is so misleading. As every federal employee knows, the issues that are occurring today are exactly the same as a year ago. If your pay is fine, it's likely to remain that way as long as you don't change anything. If you go into a different position, get a pay raise, or change anything related to your pay, that's when the problems arise. Most people who do have to change their pay will end up with major pay problems. The worst part of the whole thing is that there is nobody to actually talk to about resolving the problem. The provided solution is to send an electronic document with the issue. The problem is those seem to go nowhere.

The entire Phoenix system is still a pile of shit. Nothing has changed.
I just moved from my permanent position into a higher paying acting assignment within the public service. I am not sure if I will get the right pay and I agree that the most frustrating part is there is nobody to talk to about the pay issues. The call centre that they have for Phoenix issues only take down your information and forward it to the compensation advisors for review/action. They provide no case numbers or timeframes for resolution. The electronic form serves the same purpose.
Dec 9, 2007
172 posts
15 upvotes
kulb wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 9:37 pm
I just moved from my permanent position into a higher paying acting assignment within the public service. I am not sure if I will get the right pay and I agree that the most frustrating part is there is nobody to talk to about the pay issues. The call centre that they have for Phoenix issues only take down your information and forward it to the compensation advisors for review/action. They provide no case numbers or timeframes for resolution. The electronic form serves the same purpose.
Get in line buddy. My pay has been wrong since the start of Phoenix and I've been short changed for over a year. As an added bonus, my t4s we're screwed as the numbers don't add up correctly plus I was given an extra t4 saying I worked in a different province.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4088 posts
1120 upvotes
How will Phoenix handle the signing bonus and the retro pay? I shudder at the thought of that.

Can any CRA employees chime in? You guys are going through this currently, I believe
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1146 posts
338 upvotes
New York City
Redsanta wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 10:28 pm
Should the govt sue IBM?
Depends on the statement of work. Deloitte was also involved.

Usually the firms are pretty good at covering their asses, unless there were negligence.

I don't have the details but my gut feeling, based on my experience, is that the sales folks over-promised, while the folks on the ground (PMs, analyst, developers, testers, trainers etc...) have to deliver on an unrealistic plan. The plan was unrealistic to begin with since in the government, many times the contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder (all else equal), so the sales folks tend to underestimate on the hours/fees. It's the race to the bottom in the consulting industry.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2950 posts
186 upvotes
Bring in people from India they will fix the system in one or two months. LOL.
And at half the cost. really.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10759 posts
1278 upvotes
Edmonton
My wife's maternity leave top up still hasnt started yet and our son is 5 months old next week. At least the ei side has been consistent so we aren't having to live as a single paycheck household.

Even a call to our mp and cbc did sfa. The call center doesn't give 2 f*** just take your name and number and never contacts back.

Can't wait for the backlog to finally get resolved. The belt tightening we had to do to make ends meet when my wife's proper pay didn't start was stressful on top of having a baby come early.

The whole system needs to be scrapped along with every management and administration employee and replaced with one of many proven private contractors.

This is the risk of being a federal employee, sure the salary and benefits look great on paper, but when the shell game starts to actually provide you the proper salary, you have nobody to complain to.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
You guys should be throttling MPs by now. sit in their offices and refuse to leave until they fix it. everyone go now. it could be the number one issue in Canada by Monday morning. oh wait, it's Canada, no one will do a thing.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27748 posts
788 upvotes
Dildo, NL
One of my clerks did a spousal relo. He pay never stopped. as a result her EI couldn't kick in. It was a mess for her last year.

People I hired still are getting paid their old pay, by old dept., not in HRMS, paper leave tracking LOL...what a mess.

I didn't get paid for 2.5months. Our kitchen reno budget was annihilated, Spouse was furious.....Do NOT mess with a persons Kitchen... Haven't received my bilingual in a year, meanwhile one of my colleagues has been getting it mistaken for the past year (and not in a bil posn) LOL. When my esa was processed finally, they screwed up and paid it out ....TWICE....ughhhhh...the pay doesn't factor in 'periods of pay' for a payment, so it taxed me as someone making a bazillion dollars. What a mess.

I'm really interested to see how the collective agreement 'rules' on the new signing dates, actually pan out or not. In that they must be paid out within 3-4 months of signing....yeah right...maybe in the best case scenario circumstances. I don't see retro pay happening anytime soon.

If we didn't have a healthy savings for that Kitchen, we would've been in a serious world of hurt.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4088 posts
1120 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
May 12th, 2017 11:20 am
One of my clerks did a spousal relo. He pay never stopped. as a result her EI couldn't kick in. It was a mess for her last year.

People I hired still are getting paid their old pay, by old dept., not in HRMS, paper leave tracking LOL...what a mess.

I didn't get paid for 2.5months. Our kitchen reno budget was annihilated, Spouse was furious.....Do NOT mess with a persons Kitchen... Haven't received my bilingual in a year, meanwhile one of my colleagues has been getting it mistaken for the past year (and not in a bil posn) LOL. When my esa was processed finally, they screwed up and paid it out ....TWICE....ughhhhh...the pay doesn't factor in 'periods of pay' for a payment, so it taxed me as someone making a bazillion dollars. What a mess.

I'm really interested to see how the collective agreement 'rules' on the new signing dates, actually pan out or not. In that they must be paid out within 3-4 months of signing....yeah right...maybe in the best case scenario circumstances. I don't see retro pay happening anytime soon.

If we didn't have a healthy savings for that Kitchen, we would've been in a serious world of hurt.
I heard the CRA people had no problem with their retro, but don't know if it's true or not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)