Off Topic

Phoenix payroll mess - 'Can't guarantee' fixing Phoenix won't cost $1B: Qualtrough

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 9:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4207 upvotes
Ottawa
ilove wrote:
May 12th, 2017 12:06 pm
I heard the CRA people had no problem with their retro, but don't know if it's true or not.
CRA is another department, Phoenix affects them as much as anyone else. Phoenix is administered by Public Works....and thoer satff is getting screwed as much as everyone else.
I officially retired last May, took till October to get the pension sort of fixed (but not quite) and still am owed severance and now, back pay on a newly signed contract.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4085 posts
1118 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 12th, 2017 12:32 pm
CRA is another department, Phoenix affects them as much as anyone else. Phoenix is administered by Public Works....and thoer satff is getting screwed as much as everyone else.
I officially retired last May, took till October to get the pension sort of fixed (but not quite) and still am owed severance and now, back pay on a newly signed contract.
What I meant to say is...despite all the doomsday talk, CRA (who ratified a new CBA ahead of everyone else) employees didn't seem to have problems with retro pay in Phoenix. Here's to hoping. I am also one of the lucky people who were never affected by Phoenix.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4207 upvotes
Ottawa
ilove wrote:
May 12th, 2017 12:45 pm
What I meant to say is...despite all the doomsday talk, CRA (who ratified a new CBA ahead of everyone else) employees didn't seem to have problems with retro pay in Phoenix. Here's to hoping. I am also one of the lucky people who were never affected by Phoenix.
I know people in CRA and they had the same problems, especially when people moved form one section to another and if there was any pay adjustments to be made (re-classifications or promotions).
I actually know people that have turned down a promotion to prevent a mess up of their pay. They got acting positions without the pay raise instead of official promotions with pay hoping that this will all be fixed soon.
May 22, 2017
3 posts
To anyone who got overpayments last fiscal:
Check your stubs carefully!!! I've had deductions for the overpayments taken off my NET pay. My gross amounts stayed the same, along with all the usual taxes and other deductions, but since they're taking it from my net, I've payed income taxes twice on the same amount. Currently trying to explain this to my compensation to no avail, and mirimachi isn't much help either. Looks like this mess has no end in sight.
Jul 5, 2004
22207 posts
2099 upvotes
User558736 wrote:
May 26th, 2017 2:25 am
Check your stubs carefully!!! I've had deductions for the overpayments taken off my NET pay. My gross amounts stayed the same, along with all the usual taxes and other deductions, but since they're taking it from my net, I've payed income taxes twice on the same amount. Currently trying to explain this to my compensation to no avail, and mirimachi isn't much help either. Looks like this mess has no end in sight.
That's the way they're doing it and they don't seem to think there's anything wrong with doing it that way. It's crazy. Not to mention, the price tag for this system is now approaching $800 million. I was talking to a senior executive the other day and they now estimate it's going to be 50 years before Phoenix pays for itself, and that's if all the problems get resolved right now and it starts functioning like it was supposed to. We all know that won't happen and the price tag is surely going to be over $1 billion before long.

I know people don't care whether federal public service employees get paid or not, but that $1 billion being spent is everyone's money and everyone should be very angry Phoenix was rolled out even though the government was told this would happen
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7878 posts
565 upvotes
User558736 wrote:
May 26th, 2017 2:25 am
Wow. That is absolutely bonkers.

Getting Phoenix was one thing but the implementation has been something else. It should have been gradually rolled out but I'm guessing some execs wanted their performance bonus.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
a widespread walkout and sit in at MP's offices and parliament hill should do the trick. weather is improving. go for it! money is the only reason you are there and you're not getting it so fight for it! start a "publicly shame an MP contest". get creative.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4207 upvotes
Ottawa
Stock R wrote:
May 26th, 2017 10:47 am
Wow. That is absolutely bonkers.

Getting Phoenix was one thing but the implementation has been something else. It should have been gradually rolled out but I'm guessing some execs wanted their performance bonus.
The government wanted full implementation immediately, against the wishes of executives and management and unions. Not defending the bonuses at all but, they did what the government wanted so, actually got bonus for that :(

What is more bonkers is that Public Services and Procurement Canada are trying to get people to work with the system but they don't have enough applicants.
https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/ ... ter=886984
https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/ ... ter=940659
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27746 posts
788 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Just found out some dude has been (and still is) getting DOUBLE PAID all of last year. Yikes!
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Jun 28, 2015
192 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was one of the chosen ones.

I had the audacity to get on pat leave for a month. My forms were dated from mid-july to mid-august. I stopped getting paid in mid-june and got my first regular pay again the first week of December. My ROI never got sent to EI so I didn't get that either. No top ups, of course.

As has been said, you can't contact the compensation advisors directly. You call a generic call center (CGI) and they open a "ticket" ... but don't give you a ticket number to reference. I had to explain the issue a half a dozen times to a half a dozen people as there is no communication or flow of information.

My situation was resolved by emailing the president of my organization directly (or at least his office). Within in minutes, my email was responded to. Within 10 minutes of that, an email from the press to The DG of HR and compensation was sent. Within 15 min of that, both those dg's had emailed their staff. Within an hour, I had 3 compensation advisors emailing me. Despite this.. it STILL took 4.5 weeks to get the issue resolved. Unreal.

I'm currently on assignment 2 levels above my substantive. Still no pay. No idea for when. Our union contract was just voted on and should be ratified soon. 3-4 months we are supposed to get out increases and back pay. HA! I'll choke on a banana if that happens.

It's a cluster**** from beginning to end. Absolutely unacceptable. And the good news is .. There is no end in sight.

Oye.
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 29th, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reported/don't bypass swear filter
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4085 posts
1118 upvotes
I was one of the chosen ones who never ran into any issues with Phoenix. My annual step up kicked in beautifully too. It's all a crap shoot.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26204 posts
6064 upvotes
GTHA
BMO moves to foreclose on Phoenix pay victim: GO PUBLIC
Homeowner begs bank for leniency when pay is interrupted, and bank relents after Go Public's inquiries
To read more: http://cbc.ca/1.4142184

Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27746 posts
788 upvotes
Dildo, NL
LucifersGhost wrote:
May 29th, 2017 5:09 pm
I was one of the chosen ones.
...... Despite this.. it STILL took 4.5 weeks to get the issue resolved. Unreal.....
WOW...that's impressive..and yes, disheartening that with all that it still took that long.

What collective are you? you can pm if you wish. I've never heard of this 3-4 months business. It's usually 'the govt has 120 days to process the retro' sorta language. Unless you added that in. I'm just amazed I get my OT. Still no bilingual (coming up on 1.5years)., eventhough Je me Souviens toujours!
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26204 posts
6064 upvotes
GTHA
Many Phoenix payroll system claims reimbursements rejected by Ottawa
Federal government officials promised they would reimburse public servants for out-of-pocket expenses directly caused by Phoenix payroll woes, but the government is denying much of what's being claimed by employees, documents show.
To read more: http://www.cbc.ca/1.4220988

Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
200 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 26th, 2017 2:50 pm
The government wanted full implementation immediately, against the wishes of executives and management and unions. Not defending the bonuses at all but, they did what the government wanted so, actually got bonus for that :(
Pete, who is the "government"?
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)