Off Topic

Phoenix payroll mess - 'Can't guarantee' fixing Phoenix won't cost $1B: Qualtrough

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 9:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3437 posts
195 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 12:10 pm
Nobody is disagreeing that all governments make mistakes while in office but do you disagree about the "small government" philosophy of the Harper government?
If you want to debate the policies of the former Conservative government, start another thread......but don't expect it to lead to a productive conversation.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 3:25 pm
Sorry, I do not know what "small government" philosophy" means. Please explain.
"small government" originated with the idea that government controlled the lives of people and businesses to an excessive degree though rules and regulations. The solution was to reduce the number of rules and regulations but when this failed, the "small government" philosophy morphed into reducing the scale and cost of public services. In practice in Canada, this became outsource government departments to agencies, change status of public servants, reduce public service sick days, change pension plans to reduce cost, allow self regulation of key functions, etc.

The reform element of the previous Conservative government was probably the most aggressive follower of this approach but all neo-liberal governments have pursued (mistakenly, in my opinion) this philosophy.

The promise of cost savings through the introduction of a new payroll system was irresistible but we know how that worked out. When it's all over, the true costs will be accounted for and I suspect they will not be as positive as promised.

In the case of Phoenix, the poison pill was left by the Conservatives and swallowed by the Liberals. Could the Liberals have stopped it going ahead? I don't know - they say they couldn't, the Conservatives say they could!
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3437 posts
195 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 2:59 pm
"small government" originated with the idea that government controlled the lives of people and businesses to an excessive degree though rules and regulations. The solution was to reduce the number of rules and regulations but when this failed ......
What do you mean, failed? Do you prefer your life to be controlled to an excessive degree by rules and regulations?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28228 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
Jimbobs wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 2:14 am
Good luck with that! But seriously, it must be extraordinarily frustrating for this to go on and on and on without resolution.

IMO, while the current government may be responsible for the exacerbation of the problem, the root cause lies in the "small government" philosophy of the previous Conservative government. But regardless, it's up to the current government to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.
Woo Hoo!! Happy day. My MP came through and I got my severance and back pay yesterday. No notice, no letter, no warning, just 2 deposits in my account. Hoping that my adjustments will be forthcoming as a result.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:16 am
Woo Hoo!! Happy day. My MP came through and I got my severance and back pay yesterday. No notice, no letter, no warning, just 2 deposits in my account. Hoping that my adjustments will be forthcoming as a result.
Congratulations and glad to hear that you got your case resolved!

On the other hand, I think it is a pretty dire state of affairs when an elected official has to intervene in what should be a routine administrative matter. If MP's and their staff are doing stuff like this, what are government employees doing?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6319 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
CheapScotch wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 5:54 am
What do you mean, failed? Do you prefer your life to be controlled to an excessive degree by rules and regulations?
I see you're back to the business of selective quoting and inferring things that suit your argument.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28228 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
Jimbobs wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 3:01 pm
Congratulations and glad to hear that you got your case resolved!

On the other hand, I think it is a pretty dire state of affairs when an elected official has to intervene in what should be a routine administrative matter. If MP's and their staff are doing stuff like this, what are government employees doing?
What is worse, someone elses file was put aside to take care of mine....delaying their problems.
I heard from some people in the offices that they are still overwhelmed and some stuff is on paper. Once the shit storm is over, then they wlll have to enter all that paper into the software so...the end may not be close yet.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3437 posts
195 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 3:02 pm
I see you're back to the business of selective quoting and inferring things that suit your argument.
You're ducking the question. How has reducing the number of rules and regulations "failed"?
Dec 9, 2007
172 posts
15 upvotes
Almost 1.5 years later and my biweekly pay is finally corrected. I wonder how long before I get what is owed to me.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4085 posts
1118 upvotes
PSAC is reporting that members of the PA group (the largest bargaining group) will receive their signing bonuses and the new rates of pay on the August 23 pay cheque. No mention of retro payments though.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
787 upvotes
Dildo, NL
flair.14 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 8:49 pm
Almost 1.5 years later and my biweekly pay is finally corrected. I wonder how long before I get what is owed to me.
Congratulations! baby steps.
ilove wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 10:08 pm
PSAC is reporting that members of the PA group (the largest bargaining group) will receive their signing bonuses and the new rates of pay on the August 23 pay cheque. No mention of retro payments though.
Well., *IF* it happens, that's a start.

I was in that group in the past so I am wondering if I'll get anything automatically (retro, as not currently in it) in the bulk processing (which Phoneix is allegedly *good at*), or I'll have to submit a claim/par/feedback for it.

Question: Is your pay rate & Gross rate supposed to be equal or not? I've only had a couple identical. The vassssssssssssssst majority are different. What would be a cause for that & should we be doing anything about that?

My colleague has 24 open cases.

Exciting times!

I always love logging in. Always tickled to see what errors I get. Today I think phoenix called me impotent!!
Failure of server APACHE bridge:

No backend server available for connection: timed out after 10 seconds or idempotent set to OFF or method not idempotent.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4085 posts
1118 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 8:00 am
Question: Is your pay rate & Gross rate supposed to be equal or not? I've only had a couple identical. The vassssssssssssssst majority are different. What would be a cause for that & should we be doing anything about that?
If you are full-time, your gross pay per paycheque should be your annual salary divided by 26.088888.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
787 upvotes
Dildo, NL
ilove wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:31 am
If you are full-time, your gross pay per paycheque should be your annual salary divided by 26.088888.
Ahhh, I see your confusion.

I am not asking "how to figure out" what your bi-weekly is "from" your gross salary.

On your Paycheck:
Under General:
Pay Rate: $x Biweekly

Under Paycheque Summary:
Gross Earnings, period current $x

Those two #'s *should* be identical, assuming you didn't do any overtime.

YET, most of mine are different. Latest one is actually identical for once., but majority are not.

Is this Phoneix BS, or has this always been like this, Should I look into this *and hold my breath for years* while it gets looked into?
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1054 posts
174 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
ilove wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 10:08 pm
I'm in that group too and tried to access my last paycheck on line yesterday, but wasn't able to. Apparently the Phoenx program had frozen up, due to too many people being online.

Anyway, I believe we're supposed to get our retro pay sometime between now and mid November. Don't they have like 180 days since the contract was signed to deposit the retro pay?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5152 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
knuks101 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:45 pm
I'm in that group too and tried to access my last paycheck on line yesterday, but wasn't able to. Apparently the Phoenx program had frozen up, due to too many people being online.

Anyway, I believe we're supposed to get our retro pay sometime between now and mid November. Don't they have like 180 days since the contract was signed to deposit the retro pay?
Retro pay is coming Sept 6th, If you don't have any manual adjustments (ie. acting, mat leave, etc.).
August 23rd will have the salary adjustment and the $650 bonus.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)