Phone blacklisted by bell for "fraudulent activation"

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2017 10:26 pm
[OP]
Nov 20, 2015
8 posts
4 upvotes

Phone blacklisted by bell for "fraudulent activation"

I paid $$$ for a brand new google pixel off of craigslist in December. A month later, it was blacklisted by Bell due to a "fraudulent activation". I got the RCMP involved, and although they couldn't help, they told me that the seller had used a fake address when activating the account. Is Bell within its rights to blacklist the phone? What should I do?
42 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5498 posts
1653 upvotes
Space
Sounds like you're screwed. Bell will never give you the exact details. Most likely what happened is someone got a new contract and didn't pay the bill. You can look up try those IMEI changing guys on kijiji and see if they can help.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3505 posts
2165 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
You bought from a scammer. This is why people should not buy phones from Kijiji or Craigslist. Just giving these scammers more money to screw over people's credits and caused you headaches.

You can try to replace the IMEI but that's illegal. Other than keeping it as a paperweight, you can sell it overseas at blacklist system is only in North America.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4973 posts
1083 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
frugalminimalist wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 3:51 am
I paid $$$ for a brand new google pixel off of craigslist in December. A month later, it was blacklisted by Bell due to a "fraudulent activation". I got the RCMP involved, and although they couldn't help, they told me that the seller had used a fake address when activating the account. Is Bell within its rights to blacklist the phone? What should I do?
I can trade you a working phone for your blacklisted phone.

Freedom Mobile

Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
There's not much you can do with a blacklisted phone other than re-sell it for parts or possibly use it overseas.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2021 posts
375 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Would a blacklisted phone need to be unlocked to work overseas ?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
frugalminimalist wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 3:51 am
There are a couple of options:
1. Sell it overseas at a big discount
2. Use it without the SIM and it can only operate with Wifi around. Most people have wifi at home and office. Get the Fido deal ( $15 for 3 Gb a month with a free tablet), you can generate a wifi hotspot in your car. That covers most occasions (YMMV though).
I feel sorry for genuine buyers forking out money to scammers. But the Blacklist body is operated by the carriers with the key purpose of killing off the second hand used market. I personally do not see its rationale at all. If you have bought a TV, or any electronic device, there is no such hassle
Last edited by danieltoronto on Jan 21st, 2017 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
If the phone is blacklisted, I don't think it will connect to any cellular network.

Pixel phones are factory unlocked.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16589 posts
6464 upvotes
Oakville
Yes, Bell is within their rights to blacklist it unfortunately.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18916 posts
2221 upvotes
Niagara Falls
audit13 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:17 am
If the phone is blacklisted, I don't think it will connect to any cellular network.

I'm fairly certain phones black listed in Canada are only black listed within Canada. Providers around the world do not share their blacklisted IMEI's
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
Blacklisted phones will not work in north America based on phones I worked with for other people, these include a nexus 5 that was purchased through T-Mobile and an s4 from AT&T.

As a test, a blacklisted in imei can be entered into swappa.com to check.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4973 posts
1083 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
audit13 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:17 am

It will connect to any network overseas, I have a blacklisted phone works perfect in Asia.

Freedom Mobile

Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18916 posts
2221 upvotes
Niagara Falls
audit13 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:50 am
Blacklisted phones will not work in north America based on phones I worked with for other people, these include a nexus 5 that was purchased through T-Mobile and an s4 from AT&T.

As a test, a blacklisted in imei can be entered into swappa.com to check.
Well, guess I was wrong then. I didn't think the US and Canada shared Thier blacklist.

IMO if the government has given corporations the ability to disable phones from Thier network they should also be forcing them to come up with a method where people can purchase phones without worry.

Even if that means sellers are required to purchase a package showing no liens against the phone like we do with vehicles.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
d1ulove3 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:51 am
It will connect to any network overseas, I have a blacklisted phone works perfect in Asia.
I was referring to a post about connecting the phone to a Fido tablet plan.

I know a blacklisted phone will not work in north America. I don't have first hand knowledge about overseas.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1389 posts
683 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:50 am
Blacklisted phones will not work in north America based on phones I worked with for other people
No just Canada / USA
Places like Mexico, Cuba, Caribbean will happily use the device

Caribbean pays well for blacklisted phones
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming