Cell Phones

Phone Emergency Alert for Missing Person??

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 12:00 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6172 posts
711 upvotes

Phone Emergency Alert for Missing Person??

Just received twice today I thought it's the test that never came in last time.
I am not questioning whether it is an emergency
I mean it's important to find a missing person,
but isn't it more useful if they just post a picture through the normal channels like CP24 or news instead of sending a text description on amber alert?
Last edited by sf1 on May 14th, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
5722 posts
1165 upvotes
Toronto
the sound scared the shit out of me
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6172 posts
711 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 1:20 pm
What is wrong with both? Do you think text descriptions of Amber Alerts are useless?
without the picture to me it's not that useful.
I actually had to google the name see what the person looks like.
They should have sent a link with an actual picture of the child that is missing, data charges should be exempted.
Glad the child is safe now.
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2015
1219 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sf1 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 1:27 pm
without the picture to me it's not that useful.
I actually had to google the name see what the person looks like.
They should have sent a link with an actual picture of the child that is missing, data charges should be exempted.
Glad the child is safe now.
But I believe this emergency alert thing is a distraction to drivers. I mean imagine you're focusing on driving and all of a sudden *Vibrate*Vibrate*, now instead of focusing on the road, your looking at your cell phone. Does anyone know if this emergency alert messages will pop up in the infotainment system of a car?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6172 posts
711 upvotes
lamboman wrote:
May 14th, 2018 1:32 pm
But I believe this emergency alert thing is a distraction to drivers. I mean imagine you're focusing on driving and all of a sudden *Vibrate*Vibrate*, now instead of focusing on the road, your looking at your cell phone. Does anyone know if this emergency alert messages will pop up in the infotainment system of a car?
it actually went to my bluetooth audio when i was driving.
not sure about the infotainment as I don't have.
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2015
1219 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sf1 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 1:33 pm
it actually went to my bluetooth audio when i was driving.
not sure about the infotainment as I don't have.
When it came to your bluetooth audio, did it surprise you? Were you shocked/startled? Clearly it is a distraction IMO. They should find better ways to send these emergency alert messages. Not saying it is not important, just the way they send them is not safe for users who are driving on the road.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14606 posts
5310 upvotes
Oakville
lamboman wrote:
May 14th, 2018 1:40 pm
When it came to your bluetooth audio, did it surprise you? Were you shocked/startled? Clearly it is a distraction IMO. They should find better ways to send these emergency alert messages. Not saying it is not important, just the way they send them is not safe for users who are driving on the road.
Don't they do the amber alerts on the radio, too? I don't listen to the radio when I'm driving anymore so I wouldn't know, but I would assume they do? Same as how they do it on TV. But it will absolutely be a distraction for people who don'e know what this crazy new sound is coming from their phones. I was sitting at my desk and I definitely pulled my phone out of my pocket. I would've done the same on the road if I didn't already keep my phone in a cd-mount any way (though my phone also read the alert out to me).

As for whether or not a textual description is useful - it's better than NO description. THey're looking to get the information out as many ways as possible.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7299 posts
1143 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
May 14th, 2018 2:07 pm
Don't they do the amber alerts on the radio, too? I don't listen to the radio when I'm driving anymore so I wouldn't know, but I would assume they do? Same as how they do it on TV. But it will absolutely be a distraction for people who don'e know what this crazy new sound is coming from their phones. I was sitting at my desk and I definitely pulled my phone out of my pocket. I would've done the same on the road if I didn't already keep my phone in a cd-mount any way (though my phone also read the alert out to me).

As for whether or not a textual description is useful - it's better than NO description. THey're looking to get the information out as many ways as possible.
They do. It takes over all radio stations.
Mar 13, 2018
815 posts
385 upvotes
sf1 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 12:16 pm
Just received twice today I thought it's the test that never came in last time.
I am not questioning whether it is an emergency
I mean it's important to find a missing person,
but isn't it more useful if they just post a picture through the normal channels like CP24 or news instead of sending a text description on amber alert?
But it wasn't a missing person, it was a child abduction/kidnapping
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
185 upvotes
Mars.
Gboard2 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 8:22 pm
But it wasn't a missing person, it was a child abduction/kidnapping
What's your point? Worth pissing off a bunch of people? Sure, maybe, but making it mandatory is a PITA.

Someone lost a kid - their problem, not mine, and no i'm not Liberal.
Don't be a cooch.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5035 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I have two Fido sims (one data and one for voice).
I have got nothing. So does Fido censor that piece of info"?
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Apr 20, 2015
100 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You do know you can turn them off? It's on your messaging app. You can set it so you don't get amber alerts
Mar 13, 2018
815 posts
385 upvotes
superangrypenguin wrote:
May 14th, 2018 8:51 pm
What's your point? Worth pissing off a bunch of people? Sure, maybe, but making it mandatory is a PITA.

You don't know the difference between a lost/missing persons and kidnapping/abduction?

I wasn't saying merits of it..just pointing out it wasn't a missing child and pointing out your lack of having basic facts before posting

What does liberal have to do or not with it? Thanks for the irrelevant information?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14606 posts
5310 upvotes
Oakville
superangrypenguin wrote:
May 14th, 2018 8:51 pm

"I'm not liberal, and I don't care about abducted children if it inconveniences me in even the slightest bit" is kind of hilarious, I'm not gonna lie.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)