Cell Phones

Phone is missing band 4, how much of a problem will that be?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 11:15 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 8, 2016
114 posts
86 upvotes

Phone is missing band 4, how much of a problem will that be?

I am with rogers, I see that it still has band 7, is that good? I am in Toronto.

what problems will there be?

The phone is a xiaomi mi max 2 (I didn't buy the phone, yet).

DON'T FORGET the terrorist ATTACKS on 9/11/2001.

On September 11, 2001 TERRORISTS attacked NEW YORK CITY.

It was PURE EVIL!
7 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
12787 posts
8086 upvotes
Toronto
I've got a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 with same frequencies. Works great on Rogers for me so far. Mainly downtown Toronto but fine in Niagara Falls too. Great LTE speeds
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11971 posts
3713 upvotes
Oakville
I've used Band-7-only phones on Rogers around the GTA with very little complaint regarding keeping LTE connections. Band 4 is certainly nice to have for in-building penetration, but you should be mostly fine with just 7.
Public Mobile
Koodo
May 8, 2009
587 posts
147 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Can't say for Robbers network, as I can't use 'em since they don't reach a few places I go to, including my basement.

Without band 4, you'd miss out on LTE on Bellus for a lot of places, and I hear FM uses band 4 in Ottawa/Gatineau (irrelevant to OP since the concern is for GTA).

You'd miss out on resale value without band 4 (if that matters any) since only buyers who'd take it are those on grandfathered FM plans or on Chatr and only get 3G anyway, and such buyers tend to lowball pricing when shopping for phones on Kijiji.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11971 posts
3713 upvotes
Oakville
Jangop wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 2:16 pm
Others here are saying band 7 alone isn't enough and band 4 is needed geekbuying-geekbuying-xiaomi-redmi-note ... #p27998372
Shrug. All I can speak to is my personal experience, which was that most of the time, band 7 was perfectly fine. Yes, it will occasionally drop down to H+, but not so much that it was all that noticeable. If you need 100% LTE connectivity, then yeah, get a phone that supports all the North American frequencies. If you can make do with dropping down to H+ once in a while (I'd say less than 5% of the time, at MOST, but I also didn't spend a ton of time in areas where building penetration would be a big issue, so maybe it'll be more for you if that's the case for you), Band 7 only is fine.
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 3:26 pm
Without band 4, you'd miss out on LTE on Bellus for a lot of places, and I hear FM uses band 4 in Ottawa/Gatineau (irrelevant to OP since the concern is for GTA).

You'd miss out on resale value without band 4 (if that matters any) since only buyers who'd take it are those on grandfathered FM plans or on Chatr and only get 3G anyway, and such buyers tend to lowball pricing when shopping for phones on Kijiji.
Bell has really ramped up their Band 7 rollout. They took long enough, but they seem to have lots of 2600 MHz towers these days when I glance at the cell tower map. Not as many as Rogers, but still way more than they used to. Obviously still no use to those out west (or anywhere else that there's only Telus towers available), but for the GTA, band 7 is actually pretty reasonable for Bellus users these days.

I wouldn't rely on a phone not sold by Freedom actually working on their LTE network at all (even their band 4 network in eastern Ontario), to be honest, if the reports I'm reading about band 66 are true.

As far as resale value goes - most people don't care about what frequencies are supported, they're more interested in brand recognition. Anybody that recognizes the Xiaomi brand name will already know of the phone's possible limitations.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3752 posts
397 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Jangop wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 2:55 am
I am with rogers, I see that it still has band 7, is that good? I am in Toronto.

what problems will there be?

The phone is a xiaomi mi max 2 (I didn't buy the phone, yet).
Here is my input.
I have two phones only with Band 7 and no band 4
Lenovo K3 Note(K50-t5) Apr 17 tested no LTE for Fido SIM
4G: FDD-LTE B1/3/7(2100/1800/2600)MHz
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Elephone Lite p9000
4G: FDD-LTE Band 1/3/7/20 (800/1800/2100/2600MHz)
I live in Fairview Mall area and there is a Rogers tower showing 2600 as well.
In both phones, LTE just shows up for a second before settling down to 3 g.
I have to stress YMMV
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan & $20 unlimited Can call
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12828 posts
2799 upvotes
Toronto
I have a phone that supports band 4 and 17. With Public Mobile, I seem to be on band 4 around 95% of the time with the occasional band 17. From my personal experience band 4 is indispensable.