Phone upgrade option for Thunderbay 50 plan on virgin

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 6:38 pm
[OP]
Jan 11, 2017
7 posts
7 upvotes

Phone upgrade option for Thunderbay 50 plan on virgin

I have had the thunderbay $50 6GB plan since 2013 and my phone is dying. In my virgin mobile portal it says I can upgrade to a galaxy S7 for free on a 2 year plan. Anyone has experience in doing this in store here in the GTA? (Address is thunder bay to get the plan).

Thanks
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3238 posts
511 upvotes
Brampton ON
I never have that option on my thunder bay plan.
As-salamu alaykum
Carrier: Freedom Mobile F&F 35% off any plan for LIFE
Do A Math Before Signing Contract or Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

[OP]
Jan 11, 2017
7 posts
7 upvotes
d1ulove3 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 5:10 pm
I never have that option on my thunder bay plan.
Yea I click on accept, it shows can keep current Platinum Thundarbay50 plan, but when i get to confirmation page it only will ship to address on profile (thunderbay). Gonna try to go in store and see if i can get it and say im going back to thunderbay next month for school. Was wondering if anyone else tried this
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3238 posts
511 upvotes
Brampton ON
Even you go to the store once they saw your on thunder bay plan they are eager to change your plan right a way. SOP
As-salamu alaykum
Do A Math Before Signing Contract or Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

May 8, 2009
813 posts
204 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Best bet is to change your billing address within the app, then order the phone through Virgin Mobile online.

Should be easy since you're not even changing provinces.

Virgin (along with most wireless carriers) only ships to the billing address.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3238 posts
511 upvotes
Brampton ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:43 pm
Best bet is to change your billing address within the app, then order the phone through Virgin Mobile online.

Should be easy since you're not even changing provinces.

Virgin (along with most wireless carriers) only ships to the billing address.
If you change your address then there is no option to continue your order unless you change plan.
As-salamu alaykum

Mar 23, 2004
35463 posts
2998 upvotes
Markham
you cannot continue the TB plan if you go on contract, period.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3871 posts
416 upvotes
NORTH YORK
1094197 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 5:01 pm
I have had the thunderbay $50 6GB plan since 2013 and my phone is dying. In my virgin mobile portal it says I can upgrade to a galaxy S7 for free on a 2 year plan. Anyone has experience in doing this in store here in the GTA? (Address is thunder bay to get the plan).

Thanks
Even if you make a trip to thunderbay, there is no guarantee that the store carries the phone you want (maybe the main store carries).
If not $50 for 6Gb is not bad at all without a new phone
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3238 posts
511 upvotes
Brampton ON
danieltoronto wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:00 am
Even if you make a trip to thunderbay, there is no guarantee that the store carries the phone you want (maybe the main store carries).
If not $50 for 6Gb is not bad at all without a new phone
+1 Your right danieltoronto specially the overage charge is $10 per 1gb. We have an option to pay more or less $ like If you have a 10gb plan for $75 and you only use 3-5gb monthly then it's not worthy to move on.

As-salamu alaykum

Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8904 posts
309 upvotes
Mississauga
angel_wing0 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 7:43 am
you cannot continue the TB plan if you go on contract, period.
this.... ive tried so many times through people i know at Wireless wave to try and find a work around to upgrade to a new phone with my TB50... but no go. You either have to suck it up and change your plan for buy phones outright
RFD 36-0-0
Ebay 20-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
May 8, 2009
813 posts
204 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Since those on the ThunderBay plan on Virgin are "grandfathered-in", why not do the Koodo out of province loophole and get on the 6GB plan for $49 per month? Plus with the Koodo deal you can get a new phone, get new activation incentives, refer a friend credits, etc. No data add-ons, but with 6 GB data, that might be enough :P If not, on Black Friday they might do an extra 1 GB or so for the same price...
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3238 posts
511 upvotes
Brampton ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 3:24 pm
Since those on the ThunderBay plan on Virgin are "grandfathered-in", why not do the Koodo out of province loophole and get on the 6GB plan for $49 per month? Plus with the Koodo deal you can get a new phone, get new activation incentives, refer a friend credits, etc. No data add-ons, but with 6 GB data, that might be enough :P If not, on Black Friday they might do an extra 1 GB or so for the same price...
Thanks for the advice, but for now I'm happy with what I have. May be next time when VM revoke it I will look for another loophole.
As-salamu alaykum

[OP]
Jan 11, 2017
7 posts
7 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 3:24 pm
I will look into this, need to brush up on koodoo (havent looked at other plans in years, been spoiled with the thunderbay plan). Can get the S7 for free on tab and monthly will only be $49 after following the steps for the Quebec # loophole?
d1ulove3 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 3:51 pm
Thanks for the advice, but for now I'm happy with what I have. May be next time when VM revoke it I will look for another loophole.
So is our only option if we want to upgrade phones is to buy one outright and just swap sims?

Thanks guys
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11826 posts
1742 upvotes
I think the data overage charge on the new Koodo plans is also $50/GB

The old Koodo plans as well as TB is $10/GB