Cell Phones

Phones unlocked for free in canada (enforced by the law?)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2013 7:44 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 13, 2012
2 posts

Phones unlocked for free in canada (enforced by the law?)

If anyone can confirm or debunk this please post.

I recently came across this wikipedia article, and if you scroll about halfway down the page to the section titled "Canada", it explains that in 2010, canadian law was introduced enforcing that at the end of a contract, or if a phone was purchased outright, the carrier that sold you the phone must by law (upon your request) unlock the phone for you free of charge. If this is correct it means FREE UNLOCKS FOR EVERYONE and I would say its about time. If we buy a phone outright or gradually over time it belongs to us and we should be allowed to use it as we so please.

All I know is I have 2 phones from previous contracts, 2 pay-as-you-go phones from rogers and 2 phones on the way under contract and Im gonna put this to the test, as they could be going to good use with family members through the right service providers.

HERE IS THE LINK
LINK

EXCERPT:
On June 17, 2010, Member of Parliament Bruce Hyer (Thunder Bay-Superior North) introduced Private Member's Bill C-560,[14] called the Cell Phone Freedom Act, which would prohibit carriers from selling SIM locked phones in Canada without first informing the consumer of the existence of such a lock. Bill C-560 additionally mandates that phone companies selling new phones must unlock customer phones, without charge, at the end of contract or upon purchase of the phone outright, when requested by the customer.
26 replies
Jan 19, 2012
273 posts
74 upvotes
SUMMARY
This enactment provides that a telecommunications service provider is
obligated to
(a) inform a consumer who intends to purchase a cellular telephone from the
provider whether the network access of the telephone is restricted by a lock;
(b) remove free of charge, after the service contract has expired, any network
lock that has been applied to a cellular telephone purchased at a discounted
price by a consumer as a condition of entering into a service contract with the
provider; and
(c) remove free of charge any network lock that has been applied to a cellular
telephone purchased by a consumer from the provider if the consumer does
not enter into a service contract of at least six months in duration with the
provider or if the consumer pays the total cost of the telephone handset
before taking possession of it.

Here is the bill
http://parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/Bills/411 ... -343_1.PDF
Aug 27, 2010
591 posts
110 upvotes
Thank you. My contract with Bell is done at the end of this summer. Thank God. I will put this to the test.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2005
2266 posts
303 upvotes
This was two years ago, and we hear about it now from an enterprising RFD'er?

Woot!
Nov 9, 2008
454 posts
31 upvotes
louisville wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 12:50 am
If anyone can confirm or debunk this please post.

I recently came across this wikipedia article, and if you scroll about halfway down the page to the section titled "Canada", it explains that in 2010, canadian law was introduced enforcing that at the end of a contract, or if a phone was purchased outright, the carrier that sold you the phone must by law (upon your request) unlock the phone for you free of charge. If this is correct it means FREE UNLOCKS FOR EVERYONE and I would say its about time. If we buy a phone outright or gradually over time it belongs to us and we should be allowed to use it as we so please.

All I know is I have 2 phones from previous contracts, 2 pay-as-you-go phones from rogers and 2 phones on the way under contract and Im gonna put this to the test, as they could be going to good use with family members through the right service providers.

HERE IS THE LINK
LINK

EXCERPT:
On June 17, 2010, Member of Parliament Bruce Hyer (Thunder Bay-Superior North) introduced Private Member's Bill C-560,[14] called the Cell Phone Freedom Act, which would prohibit carriers from selling SIM locked phones in Canada without first informing the consumer of the existence of such a lock. Bill C-560 additionally mandates that phone companies selling new phones must unlock customer phones, without charge, at the end of contract or upon purchase of the phone outright, when requested by the customer.

i'm pretty sure bell(agents on the phone) have no idea how to do this.. can someone pls try this and let us know?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2005
2266 posts
303 upvotes
Hmm... the bill was introduced, but has the bill passed? Aren't they two separate things?

If so, how do we confirm it's been passed?
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18191 posts
360 upvotes
Richmond
:!:

Moved from "Freebies" to "Computers & Electronics > Cell Phones."
Congrats to the Arsenal Ladies - The FA Women's Cup Winners 2013 :)
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2010
1148 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
the theory is nice but you have to make a decision......

hire a lawyer at $300/hour or pay 4 bucks on ebay to get an unlock code

:lol:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8858 posts
299 upvotes
Mississauga
Laserheart wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 2:56 am
Hmm... the bill was introduced, but has the bill passed? Aren't they two separate things?

If so, how do we confirm it's been passed?

No where in the article says is was passed. It just says "presented" so as of right now cell phone providers don't have to do any sort of unlocking by law.

If any law was passed the community would have known about it. Something like this would have not been kept under wraps, especially with so many locked iPhones in the marketspace
RFD 33-0-0
Ebay 18-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9362 posts
1935 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
To the best of my knowledge, the bill was never passed. The minority Conservative government had their own bill they wanted passed, which was sort of a Canadian DMCA, though I don't recall the bill number. I don't think it was introduced prior to the last election, but with their majority win, I expect they will at some point. It was nowhere near as positive for consumers as c-560 was, but it did have some provisions for unlocking out of contract phones.

I actually wrote my conservative MP at the time the NDP backbench bill was out, asking for him to support it. He kindly declined and explained the gist of their alternative legislation. I responded that I didn't feel their bill offered any real change or protection for consumers, but I never heard back, other than another polite 'thanks'.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Feb 8, 2012
106 posts
25 upvotes
Burnaby
This issue needs to be publicly addressed and in a big way. We have the right to "own" the "phone" without any strings attached. In fact there should be a legislation in place that forces carriers to automatically push the unlock code at the end of the last day of the contract !!

Just like the 30day charge, even after porting, is a rip off....this issue needs to go to CCTS ! RIGHT NOW !!!
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1936 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Since the bill never passed into law, Canadian carriers charge $50 for their unlock codes (and you have to qualify).
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2005
2266 posts
303 upvotes
How do you determine if it passed or not? Isn't there an online database of this stuff?
Feb 2, 2012
8 posts
7 upvotes
EDMONTON
I just contacted my phone company by email and heres what they said:

Private Member's Bill C-560was actually tabled in 2010 and raised in November or so of 2011 under a new Private Member’s Bill. It’s currently on the floor at commons, so we’ll see what happens! As of right now, it still costs to unlock your device in Canada. Who knows what the future will bring, though!

Hope that helps you all!
× < >