• Oct 26th, 2017 6:32 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 14, 2017
65 posts
21 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 10:16 am
This is the exact same argument people had about the original AWS band when it came out. "Nobody has it yet, it's not implemented anywhere, why would they support it?" - it costs basically nothing to add another supported band as long as the chipset supports it, so why *wouldn't* companies start supporting it now that there's a potential customer base in the millions (regardless of the percentage that that represents, it's still millions of people) that will be able to use it in the next year or so? Marketing departments LOVE being able to tout new features, particularly in this day and age of annual incremental flagship spec bumps.
Comparing the original AWS and B66 are comparing apples and oranges. T-Mo's initial 3G band is AWS and only AWS; without it there will be no 3G support and you will be forced to connect as 2G only (only later they refarmed some of the 1900 to 3G). However, B66 is not exclusive for T-Mo; without it customers can still connect with other bands that are widely supported.

Second, it does not cost "nothing". Phone's antenna needs to be modified to work on the particular frequency. Testing and certification cost money. Do you think Apple modified iPhone 5 to support AWS HSPA as a guesture good will without some "confidential agreement" with T-Mo?

I'll give you an example: Nexus 4. It is not advertised as LTE capable but people found out that it can connect to LTE. If it does "cost nothing" to add a band, why wouldn't LG or Google do it?

As I said previously, it's great that GS8 - a 2017 phone - to support B66 on Freedom, but without it it's not the end of the world - maybe for a Freedom Mobile customer it is. In 2018, when the band is more widely deployed, then the story will probably be different.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6693 posts
491 upvotes
Waterloo
Hello ive been searching for a great phone for heavy usage my current samsung s5 with the extended battery rooted will only last 5 hrs under heavy usage my old huawei mate 2 would last almost 1.5 days before recharging! It has to work with freedom too.. Something with high ram and something 32gb and up but also with external memory!

Any advice would be helpful TIA
May 8, 2009
1682 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
sassysue wrote:
May 12th, 2017 9:26 am
Hello ive been searching for a great phone for heavy usage my current samsung s5 with the extended battery rooted will only last 5 hrs under heavy usage my old huawei mate 2 would last almost 1.5 days before recharging! It has to work with freedom too.. Something with high ram and something 32gb and up but also with external memory!

Pay a bit more and get the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (since you indicated that you're a Samsung user).

Other option is wait for Koodo promo's. You'll likely pay over $300, but you could get a $600 phone for nearly half the price with the activation credits on a mid-range or previous year's flagship.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
sassysue wrote:

Zenfone 3 fits all your need: Wind/high ram/sdcard
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6693 posts
491 upvotes
Waterloo
danieltoronto wrote:
May 12th, 2017 12:52 pm
Zenfone 3 fits all your need: Wind/high ram/sdcard
I've read the Intel processor sucks and is very slow
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
sassysue wrote:
May 12th, 2017 1:00 pm
I've read the Intel processor sucks and is very slow
Zenfone 2 uses Intel chips. Not Zenfone 3 though.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Oct 17, 2016
324 posts
79 upvotes
sassysue wrote:

I have the LTE Ready Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) on freedom mobiles LTE ready everywhere 59 plan and its by far the best phone you can get the battery life is outstanding with the powersave mode set to the mid setting and while using automatic brightness. The internet use stats are the following:
3G: 13 hours
LTE:16 Hours
WiFi: 18 hours
Video playback is 19 hours and music playback is 53 hours. Talk time is 16 hours.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere59 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6693 posts
491 upvotes
Waterloo
BrandonA586 wrote:
May 12th, 2017 3:37 pm
I have the LTE Ready Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) on freedom mobiles LTE ready everywhere 59 plan and its by far the best phone you can get the battery life is outstanding with the powersave mode set to the mid setting and while using automatic brightness. The internet use stats are the following:
3G: 13 hours
LTE:16 Hours
WiFi: 18 hours
Video playback is 19 hours and music playback is 53 hours. Talk time is 16 hours.
thats pretty good my s5 is ok i always have to carry a battery pack lol it fast charges anyways so im good
Oct 17, 2016
324 posts
79 upvotes
sassysue wrote:
May 12th, 2017 7:30 pm
thats pretty good my s5 is ok i always have to carry a battery pack lol it fast charges anyways so im good
The A5 has fast charging as well. This was honestly the best upgrade I have done I really enjoy this phone and I've gotten to enjoy LTE in Edmonton Alberta while they are testing it in certain areas before it launches in Edmonton and the 6 surrounding cities with home coverage. LTE is really fast I'm looking forward to WiFi calling texting and MMS that's coming to my phone soon after its done being tested on the LG V20. I'm on the LTE ready everywhere 59 plan so I'll be getting LTE roaming as well.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere59 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13092 posts
2955 upvotes
Toronto
OP, if you don't need band 66 LTE, why not go for the LeEco Max2? It works on Wind. I convinced a buddy to get one, he has nothing but good things to say about the purchase.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3959 posts
1311 upvotes
BC
will888 wrote:
May 13th, 2017 11:36 pm
OP, if you don't need band 66 LTE, why not go for the LeEco Max2? It works on Wind. I convinced a buddy to get one, he has nothing but good things to say about the purchase.
Which online retailer do you recommend for getting the LeEco Max2?
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
May 8, 2009
1682 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 12:39 am
Check out this thread.

geekbuying-letv-leeco-le-max-2-x829-glo ... z-2094373/
I've heard good things about the Leeco Le Max 2. Do they have a newer phone out or coming out? Would be OK to pay a bit more to get their latest flagship, assuming it's good.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13092 posts
2955 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:02 pm
I've heard good things about the Leeco Le Max 2. Do they have a newer phone out or coming out? Would be OK to pay a bit more to get their latest flagship, assuming it's good.
They have an S3 Pro out already. It has a bigger battery, upgraded CPU. However, the screen size is 5.5 inch and I think it is only 1080P resolution. I haven't looked into pricing that much, but I am willing to bet it won't be cheap like the max 2.