Page 1 of 1

Photo editing program suggestion

Posted: Oct 22nd, 2006 4:25 pm
by Nubee
I have a pile of photos I would like to put on dvd but want to edit some of them first. Which program would let me do a more advance editing like superimposing one picture over the other and that kind of stuff? I have several programs here but all they do is basic stuff like brightness/contrast, the usual effects like charcoal,sephia,etcc... I also have an adobe photoshop but it's unbelievably hard to use so I never really installed it since uninstalling it last year. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Photo editing program suggestion

Posted: Oct 23rd, 2006 2:15 pm
by CameraBill
"advanced editing" and "hard to use" are synonimous. Any program designed to make the task easy will remove any flexibility and limit your creative options. They won't let you do "that kind of stuff" because "that kind of stuff" is too difficult to the layman.

Photoshop is very daunting to the beginner because it's a workshop all in one. If you don't want to take the time to learn the tutorials I would suggest trying out older versions of the program. Version 6 and 7 are still exceptionally capable.

As for adjusting brightness and contrast I would not recommend it. Unless your monitor has been calibrated you will be adjusting the pictures wrong and when you print them or view them from the DVD your pictures will be too dark or washed out. It's a case where the camera did it right and you are doing it wrong. I've heard of online tools to help calibration and I think Adobe Gamma helps too.
My monitor is calibrated with a hardware device so I know that my changes are true and what my monitor is showing is correct. I have verified this by printing my photos and making DVDs. If you don't want to dish out alot of $ just to calibrate your monitor then print some pictures at a walmart or costco and then adjust your monitor controls to match the picture.

Also keep in mind most TVs aren't calibrated. Mine isn't even calibrated to the THX tool found on alot of DVD's. A TV adjusted by the user will likely be a little tot bright and have a little too much contrast.

Posted: Oct 23rd, 2006 2:50 pm
by Calmuser
i'd recommend Ulead PhotoImpact.

or you could try paint shop pro.

Posted: Oct 23rd, 2006 4:10 pm
by zero_2003
Google's Picasa

There's a batch edit option for fast consistent modification

It's also very user friendly and intuitive.

Highly Recommended.

Posted: Oct 23rd, 2006 7:01 pm
by Dumpy
I've tried a few & agree with the Ulead Photoimpact (v.10) sugestion
Straight forward yet well appointed.

Also have tried with good sucess "Memories on TV pro" to put those photos on DVD in slideshow format!