Photo id to get phone

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 5:52 am
[OP]
Aug 31, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote

Photo id to get phone

I ordered my new phone online through Virgin mobile online chat. The guy wanted my id number to do a credit check, I think. I had told him that I am currently waiting for my new id to come in the mail. He told me that I needed government photo id to get the phone. I told him I had the number and the old expiry date of Jan 2018 but not the actual card. He took that and the order went through. I am now wondering when the phone is shipped to me, will I have to show government photo id? Is there anyone out there that has ordered a phone online from virgin Canada?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5359 posts
1550 upvotes
Aurora
No. Like the rep said, the ID is for the credit check. I just bought a phone and plan and had to do the same thing. Now, if the shipping method requires that you sign for it, you might have to show ID. More likely, the idiot delivery guys will just toss it on the porch and leave.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
I have read that I'm required to sign for it. Do you think non government issued photo ID would work? I have a City of Edmonton pass with my photo on it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1298 posts
508 upvotes
Calgary
If the item is dropped off at your place, you won't need to show photo ID (I've never had a courier ask for photo ID - anyone in the house can sign for it).

If you miss the delivery and have to go to the post office / courier company's office though you will have to show photo ID.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2769 posts
184 upvotes
Devhux wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 3:55 pm
If the item is dropped off at your place, you won't need to show photo ID (I've never had a courier ask for photo ID - anyone in the house can sign for it).

If you miss the delivery and have to go to the post office / courier company's office though you will have to show photo ID.
correct. However at Canada post outlet or at Rogers or even Home depot you show id to pickup the stuff.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
(borrowed)Not enough bans and the howling monkeys start up about them promoting hate and whatever. howling monkeys or hall monitors?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1298 posts
508 upvotes
Calgary
callernamet wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 4:22 pm
correct. However at Canada post outlet or at Rogers or even Home depot you show id to pickup the stuff.
Which I clarified at the bottom of the post you quoted.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)