• Jul 14th, 2017 6:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2122 posts
231 upvotes
Ancaster

Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party hosting

So apparently photobucket is now requiring a 399$ a year membership to share images 3rd party.

Most of my photos in the forums I subscribe to have now been replaced by a "ad" stating "Please update your account setting to enable 3rd party hosting".

So any of us who have relied on Photobucket is now subject to this new fee based structure. This happened without prior notice or any form of warning on Photobucket's part.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/ph...hosted-images/

Anyone got any recommends for a new photo sharing site. I've heard of a couple that I need to check out.

http://imgur.com/about
http://tinypic.com/

I'm definitely going to bail from Photobucket, the only reason I have the account is to store my pics that I post on forums.
23 replies
May 17, 2012
712 posts
234 upvotes
grand valley
they're out to lunch. At $399 they'll be out of business soon. I don't have any alternative recommendation because i don't use them.

I just use my website hosting account (which is much less than $399 / year, BTW)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7502 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I've been using photobucket for all of my forum images, and now all my images links are broken because of the new fee structure. $399 to enable image hosting? Lol, they are totally out of touch with reality on that.

I'm looking for a new host too... seems like https://postimage.io/ is a popular one that people use, particularly because you can upload images for sharing without even having to make an account.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3014 posts
466 upvotes
Vancouver
What's wrong with using Flickr?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4018 posts
216 upvotes
Also in the same boat.

I tried google but doesn't allow for hosting.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated, but how's flickr?
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5759 posts
2040 upvotes
Calgary
Just found out too. I've been using Photobucket for years but I am not going to pay $399 to use the service. Damn, need to find a replacement.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9204 posts
3404 upvotes
Southern Ontario
For RFD, I use these two free:

Imgur for everything, posting deals etc
Flickr for photography

I also use other sites, but don't link them here.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26995 posts
3479 upvotes
Ottawa
This thread should go back to Off Topic as it affects far more members than what is in Art and Photography.

Perhaps should be extended to all forums so everyone that would like to post a photo will know how to post photos (as per Post #7 from AncasterRFD)
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
May 19, 2009
32 posts
11 upvotes
$399, they are totally out of loop... I'd pay $20 just to not go through the hassle of relinking everything, but definitely not $399.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3368 posts
557 upvotes
Alberta
Photobucket is a big waste of time. Use Imgur, it's 1000x better and faster and easier to use.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1155 posts
226 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
I have been using photobucket for a long time for posting images on forums.

It's disappointing that my memories have been erased from the I internet like I never even existed.

I'll never pay a dime for photobucket.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2122 posts
231 upvotes
Ancaster
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 1:37 am
Photobucket is a big waste of time. Use Imgur, it's 1000x better and faster and easier to use.
I switched to IMGUR on a recommendation from one of the forums I frequent.

It is far quicker to upload images with less ads & such. Photobucket was becoming such a PITA to use. I think this move by the bucket is going to send them into bankruptcy.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2188 posts
130 upvotes
I just found out about this.
I dont use PB much for pics so it doesnt really impact me but what a mess the internet turned out because of this.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3368 posts
557 upvotes
Alberta
nielboy wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 12:54 pm
I switched to IMGUR on a recommendation from one of the forums I frequent.

It is far quicker to upload images with less ads & such. Photobucket was becoming such a PITA to use. I think this move by the bucket is going to send them into bankruptcy.
I deleted everything from my Photobucket account about 3 months ago. If I could delete my account, I would do that also.