Art and Photography

Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party hosting

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2017 9:46 am
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1522 posts
574 upvotes
I've been using Flickr for years for photo posting. Of course nothing prevents Flickr and others to follow the Photobucket's example...
Oct 4, 2013
13 posts
5 upvotes
I thinks its hilarious that people are upset

You link pictures all over the internet using their server FOR FREE. All forums abuse this like crazy and people hotlink to all kinds of small business etc in the same fashion.

Someone finally blocks your abusive freeloading and its a travesty.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4208 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The free, low cost monthly sub or per image (iTunes model) wins in today's internet age.
$399 is dreaming.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2165 posts
249 upvotes
Ancaster
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 12:55 pm
The free, low cost monthly sub or per image (iTunes model) wins in today's internet age.
$399 is dreaming.
+1 on that....it's ridiculous.

$399 = Bucket Extinction
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
786 upvotes
Dildo, NL
timesquare wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 11:21 am
I thinks its hilarious that people are upset

You link pictures all over the internet using their server FOR FREE. All forums abuse this like crazy and people hotlink to all kinds of small business etc in the same fashion.

Someone finally blocks your abusive freeloading and its a travesty.
If nobody did it, it would still be awesome to have free hotlinking. The fact is however, MANY people do. In fact it is..*was* the industry standard to allow free hotlinking. Heck how much have you paid for Hotmail/gmail & other various email providers? Would you similarly mock people who have an issue because suddenly Hotmail or Yahoo or Gmail decided to force a fee-based email service?

The industry offers it, if you're too blind to realize it is quite low & scummy, then a good day to you madam.
rkjredflag wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 7:33 am
I have been using photobucket for a long time for posting images on forums.

It's disappointing that my memories have been erased from the I internet like I never even existed.

I'll never pay a dime for photobucket.
No Kidding. 2004 was the start of my photobucket days, approx. I'm in utter shock lol. I would've paid $2.99...$4.99....a month...but $39.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? are they mad? Who came up with that price structure?????

It's flat out insane. What a load of CRAP.

Exactly my sentiments, word for word...ughhhhhhh

Heck, at this point, I would pay $50 for someone to hack PB & replace that generic thumbnail with 'photobucket: lowlife scum', LOL.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
786 upvotes
Dildo, NL
nielboy wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 12:54 pm
I switched to IMGUR on a recommendation from one of the forums I frequent.

It is far quicker to upload images with less ads & such. Photobucket was becoming such a PITA to use. I think this move by the bucket is going to send them into bankruptcy.
IMGUR it is...will look into it.

I'm sure I've checked out other sites over the years, but always liked photobuckets lay out & options for multi photo batch url generating options. Hopefully there's something similar now on IMGUR.

Whenever I hear/read bankruptcy, I wonder if it is intentional? Perhaps to get out of debt right away? That'd be the only real explanation? They have massive debt & figured this was the only way out.
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
786 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Lastly,

I would think, to think that other webhosters, won't follow-suit shortly (if at least to a more reasonable fee-structure) is a little naïve. Don't get too comfortable with whomever you find as a replacement...sighhhhh.
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
Jan 24, 2015
57 posts
2 upvotes
Bangladesh
I just come to know about this today as well! After going to their pricing page I am seeing the update! For 102.0 GB Storage $9.99 / mo!
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
786 upvotes
Dildo, NL
I quickly discovered why imgur didn't pass my test when I picked photobucket several years ago.

It doesn' have ANY of the automation, or the convenience features. Very rudimentary.

MAINLY of which, is with PB, you could customize each album to display the various links you wanted below the thumbnail/image display. Meaning, you want to link a pic., you just browse to it, and click the link.

With imgur, you have to find the pic, HOVER on the c, CLICk 'get shareable links', THEN you can copy your link. SO dumb to have it hidden.

Ughhhhhhh....what an annoyance. If you do it once a year, it's m00t. But when you're frequently sharing photos in forums on a daily basis....it sure annihilates your speed at forum'ing...ughhhhhh
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]