Photocopy Your Receipt

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2010 10:17 am
Mar 27, 2007
534 posts
40 upvotes
Okanagan

Photocopy Your Receipt

If the item you purchase has a warranty/return policy of a year* or more, photocopy the receipt. This advice was given to me when I was buying a watch. It is because of the paper and ink many stores use with their receipts. I was cleaning out some files and noticed that I couldn't read many of the receipts and this was from a different store.

* it could even be a shorter period of time.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Yes, the thermal paper can be an issue especially if it gets warm in the sun. Usually they last a few years, but you are right. Most places though say you need the original receipt, but I guess the faded one with a copy would work too.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
redgrandam wrote: Yes, the thermal paper can be an issue especially if it gets warm in the sun. Usually they last a few years, but you are right. Most places though say you need the original receipt, but I guess the faded one with a copy would work too.
Just glue the original receipt onto the photocopy. I do this with every significant-value merchandise receipt now and not just for warranties, but also for household insurance.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21222 posts
5938 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Menthol wrote: Scan and keep on your computer too (and backup)
+1, I do this too for any important receipt.

I wonder how many people's receipts they are keeping for CRA purposes have faded into oblivion.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10111 posts
1966 upvotes
Toronto
Yup, good advice. I've been doing this for the last 7 yrs.

All my receipts are filed properly in their respective hanging folders: clothing, electronic, appliances.

I am also starting a tracking (Excel) of all my most expensive items, with a photo of the item and receipt in the Excel. This way, will help me immensely if I ever need to claim insurance for a stolen item.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15193 posts
4376 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
The nice thing with digital is that you can scan faded receipts, then adjust the contrast until you can read it. It's what CSI would do :) .
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11298 posts
3835 upvotes
Nowhere
rfdrfd wrote: Yup, good advice. I've been doing this for the last 7 yrs.

All my receipts are filed properly in their respective hanging folders: clothing, electronic, appliances.

I am also starting a tracking (Excel) of all my most expensive items, with a photo of the item and receipt in the Excel. This way, will help me immensely if I ever need to claim insurance for a stolen item.
Just make sure that you store the file somewhere where it will not be destroyed in the event of fire. Theft is not the only reason for insurance claims. I purchased a fireproof/waterproof file box to store more important documents. Now I just have to figure out what to put in it.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1256 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
rfdrfd wrote: Yup, good advice. I've been doing this for the last 7 yrs.
ya we've been holding receipts since i can remember - years upon years. we always copy them for warranties or anywhere we won't have the copy, it's just common sense. lately been throwing out food receipts though, not needed after certain time :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
51 upvotes
GT-eh
I need a quick scanning machine. I saw one on Costco instore for $130 something. I think it was a portable one, might be very useful for the future.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
Other stores like IKEA won't accept it.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11298 posts
3835 upvotes
Nowhere
DLFB wrote: Other stores like IKEA won't accept it.
For returns and warranty service, you have to keep the original. The copy should only be a backup in case the original isn't legible.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1942 posts
1108 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: Just make sure that you store the file somewhere where it will not be destroyed in the event of fire. Theft is not the only reason for insurance claims. I purchased a fireproof/waterproof file box to store more important documents. Now I just have to figure out what to put in it.
The receipt for the fireproof box, in case it gets destroyed by fire and you need to claim for a new one. Hang on, wait... :-0
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11298 posts
3835 upvotes
Nowhere
GreyingJay wrote: The receipt for the fireproof box, in case it gets destroyed by fire and you need to claim for a new one. Hang on, wait... :-0
I guess I'll have more things to worry about than the firesafe if it gets destroyed by fire. :(

Actually, it does come with a lifetime replacement warranty after fire. From a video done by ABC News on Sentry's website, it appears that the outside of the firesafe melts in a fire but the documents inside survive. At least, I hope that is what happens although I don't ever want to find out. I guess to be extra safe, you should keep an extra copy of important documents off site.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
4036 posts
1298 upvotes
Toronto
i thought i was being smart when i laminated my laptop receipt from futureshop.

i came across it a year later and its clean as a whistle, still laminated and still has the stupid highlights that the people at fs like to do, but no information on it :S.

so had to go back to futureshop and get them to dig me up another copy (bought the laptop on credit card so it was possible)
Nov 3, 2007
906 posts
63 upvotes
Cambridge
Good Tip

I actually figured retail had it rigged so the receipts delibrately were unreadable after a small period of time ..so you couldn't get a waranty :D
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
Menthol wrote: Scan and keep on your computer too (and backup)
I usually scan my receipts, photocopy that, and to save them I email a copy to myself and keep that in a email folder.

You never know when u might need those receipts, as I had a legal issue and the people I was dealing with claimed they did not have a copy of whatever papers, and never sent them to be, and other random bs.

Well, I actually had a copy of these "supposed missing papers" and the other people were not happy :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6904 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
Bookpreviews wrote: I usually scan my receipts, photocopy that, and to save them I email a copy to myself and keep that in a email folder.

You never know when u might need those receipts, as I had a legal issue and the people I was dealing with claimed they did not have a copy of whatever papers, and never sent them to be, and other random bs.

Well, I actually had a copy of these "supposed missing papers" and the other people were not happy :)
Good idea with the emailing it to yourself part. I might start doing that for big ticket items that need to be stored and categorized. I bought this to scan all my receipts and then file them. I can scan them as pdf and store it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)