Art and Photography

Photography, Photography Related - Co-op/Internship?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2010 2:39 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto

Photography, Photography Related - Co-op/Internship?

Hey, so I'm currently in a TDSB co-op program.

The semester just started, and the teachers are asking us if we have place we'd like to have a placement at. If not, they choose for us, make a phone call, and setup an interview.

We get into a placement on the 22nd, so things are going by fast.

So far, as for knowing people, or businesses that offer regular hours of work for a placement, I know none.
Regular hours of work, such as Monday - Friday, 9 - 5, type.
If I don't have a prefered place to give my teachers, they'll call, and they'll set me up with Blacks at stc.
I don't have anything against Blacks, I'd just like to open up more options to find something possibly better.

So I was wondering if anyone have any people, or businesses that's photography, photography related, or even media related is okay, to recommend to me for a placement?
It would help me out a TON.

I asked Spencer Fu, but his work hours aren't much of a solid work structure. :(
So it needs to be something of regular work hours everyday.
I can see why it's hard to find a placement for such a subject.

Thanks!
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2219 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
kay188 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2010 12:55 pm
I asked Spencer Fu, but his work hours aren't much of a solid work structure. :(
So it needs to be something of regular work hours everyday.
I can see why it's hard to find a placement for such a subject.

Thanks!
just do his laundry and make him food to fill in the gaps :cheesygri
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
ryan_lau100 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2010 1:36 pm
just do his laundry and make him food to fill in the gaps :cheesygri
True. I have a bathroom full of laundry to do right now. :P

Seriously though. Perhaps contract Magenta Studios? They do photography in various malls in the Toronto area.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Nov 19, 2002
176 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
Go to the big commercial studios in Toronto. They may be willing to take you on for various jobs.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
kay188 is looking for a job that offers weekly 9-5 hours. Not really on a job to job basis.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1385 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
What does Blacks have to do with photography?! It's probably the worst placement company ever.
If you were for the retail program to learn how to operate a store then sure,otherwise stores like that have NOTHING to do with photography.
And yes, contact big commercial studios. They can always find some work for you.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3038 posts
363 upvotes
Large (often public) companies have in-house photographers on staff too. I know the TTC has a few salaried photographers. I am sure the city does as well.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Try and get in here competition is fierce and varied. There aren't too many "big" studios/production houses (BGM Imagaing probably "the" biggest) left in Toronto. You can always try the Ad agencies creative department from there you can meet (hopefully) many commercial shooters.

*hint* he likes stuff like this
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
demi2004 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2010 2:33 pm
What does Blacks have to do with photography?! It's probably the worst placement company ever.
If you were for the retail program to learn how to operate a store then sure,otherwise stores like that have NOTHING to do with photography.
And yes, contact big commercial studios. They can always find some work for you.
I never really liked Blacks to begin with. It's just that, the teachers don't know anywhere else to call if I don't give them a better placement, so they call Blacks, because that's all they know, and students usually get right in with Blacks after the interview.

Hence me desperately posting this thread as soon as class was done on my cell. :o

Thanks Spencer. I'm checking out Magenta Studios, and it looks like they're quite welcoming to people like me.

PMC, Shin Sugino seems pretty fierce.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
Keep them coming. ;)
M-e-X-x wrote:
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
46 upvotes
Ivan - is this a M-F, 9-5 placement you're looking for?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
lz7j wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2010 10:24 pm
Ivan - is this a M-F, 9-5 placement you're looking for?
Yeah. Something exactly like that.
Are you offering? :D

I was going to say "I have no idea what that stands for", until I thought at it for a while... Monday to Friday, 9AM - 5PM. :o
M-e-X-x wrote:
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4277 posts
71 upvotes
Winnipeg
kay188 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2010 11:35 pm
Yeah. Something exactly like that.
Are you offering? :D

I was going to say "I have no idea what that stands for", until I thought at it for a while... Monday to Friday, 9AM - 5PM. :o
you need sleep :lol: . Good luck in finding a placement!
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr