[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Photoprinter or In-Store for Printing?

Hi all,

If you wanted to print out some shots, which would you choose? A home printer or going to a store such as a Blacks? And if you were to choose the latter which store would you go with? Thanks!
17 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
From what I've seen, printing at home starts to get expensive once you do large quantities. It is also my opinion that a home printer, with ink being laid out onto the paper cannot match the proper chemical process and results that a photolab will produce.
Deal with it.
Sep 30, 2005
676 posts
55 upvotes
Depending on the photo printer. The cost of 4 x6, 5 x 7 is more expensive than getting it from the store. (Paper and ink costs). Anything larger (eg. 8 x 10) you are looking at slightly cheaper printing at home (depending on where you go).

If you have a printer at home, it gives you the convenience to print off photos instantly for yourself or friends and isn't really meant for mass productions of photos (though the companies would love you to keep buying paper/ink).

It gives you the flexibility to adjust your print settings to have your output the way you want the colours to look.

You have a wide selection of paper to print your photos on, from semi gloss, glossy, matte, lustre paper, etc.

I do both store and photo printer printing. I have an Epson RX600 and R2400 as the photo printers and use which ever store gives me a good price for photos.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3883 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
I think once you are finished post, the cheapest option is getting them printed in a store. The photolab at loblaws has two ways to print:
#1 Instant prints with a high end printer.
#2 One hour which sends the prints through the photo paper developer machine. The prints are created from unexposed photo paper. I print my keeper photos this way and frame them. Shoppers drug mart only prints with Epson professional
printers. I assume Blacks uses the same unexposed photo paper method as loblaws. Once you see your most prized picture printed in 8x10 with real photo paper you will be pleased.

PS. I don't work in the photo industry, just the film industry.
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12046 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
edgedamage wrote:
May 19th, 2008 11:50 am
I assume Blacks uses the same unexposed photo paper method as loblaws.
They do. Some people scoff at the fact they don't offer "instant" printing right from the kiosk.

"I have to wait a whole hour for my two-hundred photos?!"
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3883 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN wrote:
May 19th, 2008 12:09 pm
They do. Some people scoff at the fact they don't offer "instant" printing right from the kiosk.

"I have to wait a whole hour for my two-hundred photos?!"
Oh god don't get me started on Blacks/photolab customers. My wife works at the photolab part time for extra money/benefits. And the stories she tells me about folks who want their 700 pictures printed in 15mins are pure gold.
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5973 posts
408 upvotes
BC
KorruptioN wrote:
May 19th, 2008 10:21 am
From what I've seen, printing at home starts to get expensive once you do large quantities. It is also my opinion that a home printer, with ink being laid out onto the paper cannot match the proper chemical process and results that a photolab will produce.
true about the ink on the paper with a regular printer, not true with a photo printer. i have a canon photo printer that prints only 4x6, and they look exactly the same as what you get from any store.

it does not use regular ink, but has a cartridge that is similar to lazer, the photo comes out 4 times, first with yellow, then red, then finished, then a coating. can not tell the difference between them or what you pay for in store.

and now on topic, i print my pictures at home. it works out to something like .32 cents per print... but if i was printing LOTS of pics, then i would take them to a store.
normally i just go to walmart, i like the way they are set up. and i can adjust my picture anyway i want before i give it to them to print. that way i dont end up with something cut off that i want in the picture. i find that happens when i take them to costco.

but i prefer the quality of my own at home photo printer.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
90 upvotes
Hamilton
I dont print at home...find it too expensive. I just order online from Walmart. :o
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
remember the kodak 5100 deal? still on the fence about picking one up. hear good things though and people reporting 11cents per print since kodak stays true to their word with cost.

cant anyone verify? this would definitely beat out a lot of the labs out there in terms of cost. i have yet to see a print from the kodak though so i am not sure if the quality can reach that of a lab.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2003
1265 posts
11 upvotes
London
I figure that there is no way I can print cheaper or better than Costco. Once you calibrate with their printer profile the results are great.

Profiles:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/Profil ... les.htm#CA

Product Price
4x6 $0.15
5x7 $0.39
8x10 $1.39
8x12 $1.39
11x14 $2.49
11x16.5 $2.49
12x18 $2.99
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
I've got an older Canon selphy dye-sub printer (only does 4x6) that works really well for quick prints at home. I generally send everything else (or larger quantities) to Black's via their website.

It's nice to print at home, but you can't beat good lab prints.
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Has anyone tried using SnapFish? I've read reviews and they seem to be the best although I'm worried about my pictures getting duty and taxes stamped on them when mailed to me.

Basically I'm looking for a good printer at a good price.
Van G