Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4050 posts
1462 upvotes
GTA North

Photos and video storage solutions ?

Can anybody give me an idea of how or what I should consider with storing the 100 GB ( and increasing daily ) of jpegs and videos I have of my kids.

I'm down to my last 3 GB on my old desktop and I've been backing up the files onto a DVDR.

My option seems to be to get a new desktop which I don't think I really need yet or get an external 500gb HDD but I can't see that lasting long with the amount of photos I take. Any suggestions would be great.

My main issue is that I would like to view them as a slide show at anytime and also to work on the photos in my free time that I don't ever seem to have.

The only program I currently use is Picassa and I'm also wondering if it would read and update from an external hard drive.

Thanks.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2302 posts
952 upvotes
Canada
Maybe get a 1TB (or 2x500GB depending on how paranoid you are with disk failure) external drive and store them there. You should still consider burning to DVDR for backups. The external drive will allow for quick access to your files.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2003
2235 posts
71 upvotes
Look into a drobo. You can upgrade one drive at a time as it fills up. Once I get back to Canada I might get one to backup my photos.

I'm actually curious about an online backup solution for large amounts of data. I know there's all this talk about cloud computing and backing your info on the cloud but I haven't heard of a good solution for large amounts of data. I just signed up for Live Mesh beta but they only give you around 5gb of space.

I'd really like an affordable off site solution.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4050 posts
1462 upvotes
GTA North
Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
For video, use tape.

I always keep the DV tape after shooting an important event. 1hr of DV is appx 13 gigs and the tape cost $3 - $4.