None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3123 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga

Photoshop

When I went to Black's today with a photo I wanted to develop to 16 x 20, the rep said it couldn't be done without any cropping unless I wanted a 16 x 24 print. So basically I had to cut away 4" to make it fit. She didn't say to resize the photo (I guess to keep the aspect ratio without making anything look distorted) but she did something in Photoshop to show me how it will look with the extra 4" taken off (one side was black and white and the other was color). Does anyone know how it is done? I also want to know because I am currently cropping a picture but want to know if the picture I'm cropping out will be within the 16 x 20 range after cropping. The first photo I brought there to get developed is fine with the 4" taken off but the next photo I can't have anything trimmed or else it'll ruin the effect, hence I want to make it within that range even before I start to photoshop it. Thanks.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
Sounds like the crop tool?
kuqdew wrote:
Jan 31st, 2008 11:24 am
And FYI, I make pretty good marks in school and is in the gifted class.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3123 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
drucillica wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 1:10 am
Sounds like the crop tool?
Crop tool? Please elaborate considering I'm a total noob and am just learning PS using various online tutorials. :|
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3123 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
That wasn't it unfortunately but I've managed to resize the picture to 16 x 20 but didn't seem like it distorted much.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3123 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
But how do I know if the image I'm cropping out is exactly 16" x 20"?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2003
2235 posts
71 upvotes
In photoshop when I need to resize and image for 4x6 prints, I have an action recorded that does the following:

- Unlock the Background layer (is your only layer when you open an image)
- Resize the canvas to 4x6 (or what ever size you want)

I then go in and scale down the image manually (CRTL + T - and be sure to hold to fit how I want with in the ratio of a 4x6. I have one action setup for horizontal and one for vertical images.

This is one way I got into the habit of doing since I usually do a large batch of photos at a time. To be honest, I now use Lightroom about 98% of the time since I only shot raw and you can quickly adjust the aspect ratio of your images to fit various common output sizes or create custom ones.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
34 upvotes
Blackmajik wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 3:06 am
But how do I know if the image I'm cropping out is exactly 16" x 20"?
when you select the crop tool, you can enter the exact size and resolution you want to crop the image to.

or you can also use the rectangle marquee tool, under style select fixed size, then enter your size. after you make the selection, go to image>crop

the second way may be better because you are not resampling any of the pixels.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
11 upvotes
KELOWNA
There is another action you can try. In Photoshop if you have a picture that is say, 11 X 14 and you want it 8X10, you can go to 'image', 'image size' and adjust your size and number of pixels there. That will keep your entire image and will resize as you wish or automatically depending on your settings. If your image is not the right dimensions to start with you will see either a border or it will distort. Play with it and you'll see.

Also if you just want to cut off areas that are on the edges or the same all around, you can use 'image', 'canvas size' to leave the image itself the same size, but to cut the picture. You determine whether the cutting is equal on all sides or comes off equally on 1, 2, or 3 sides at once. You don't have as much control as the crop tool but it's useful if you want to add or delete some size. This does not effect the image, only the canvas size.

If you want to use the crop tool you can also set up your rulers and use your guides to set the dimensions and then just adjust the crop tool to the guides.

Play around. You can always hit 'undo' if you don't like what you did. Just remember to keep you original file safe by renaming the one you are playing with.