• Jul 26th, 2008 11:48 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 18, 2003
268 posts

Photoshop & Printer Calibration

Hey guys,

I remember reading something on here but I can't find it now.

But does anyone know how to calibrate my printer on photoshop?? like loading a profile on photoshop...

Cause some of my pictures are coming out kinda yellow.

if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks
3 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2218 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
im no expert because i only calibrate my monitors but i think you need a closed loop calibration system if you are a perfectionist. this means everything from your monitor to camera to printer are calibrated to get you consistency. you need to find a icc profile for your printer first but the problem is over time the colour will shift so you will have to calibrate on a regular basis... its a pain... which printer is this?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2850 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
itchy wrote:
Jul 26th, 2008 12:59 am
Hey guys,

But does anyone know how to calibrate my printer on photoshop?? like loading a profile on photoshop...

Thanks
Are you printing from a home computer?
Or a lab computer?

If you are printing from a lab store, check here:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/

I print at the local Costco with these profiles and it doesn't get anymore easier than using these profiles.

I've never calibrated a home printer.
Dec 31, 1969
itchy wrote:
Jul 26th, 2008 12:59 am
Hey guys,

Thanks
If you are printing from home you can use download profiles for certain paper/printer configurations from the paper manufacturer. You will normally only find this profiles for the higher end printers. You will also need to profile your monitor to get the most accurate results. To profile your monitor a colorimeter is the best thing to use or you can do if for free online with OK results using something like this: http://www.photographerusa.com/screencheck/

You can also get custom profiles made for your paper/printer:

Drycreek, mentioned above will create them for you and so will Cathy.

The best solution is to profile everything yourself using a colorimeter/spectrometer. Personally, I use a Spyder3Studio and am very happy with the results I am getting. It's quite a bit of work to profile with the large targets but worth it in the end.

One other thing I HIGHLY recommend using is an application called Qimage. It makes printing a lot easier. It takes care of printer/monitor profiles, multiple prints on one page and so much more. The upscaling it does is the best in the business. Mike Cheney, the developer is constantly updating the app. and is very responsive to support questions. I have been using it for over five years and couldn't be without it now.