• Apr 13th, 2017 7:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1607 posts
289 upvotes

Physically buying something in the US and shipping home

Hi all,

just wondering how this works. im looking at buying potentially $500 worth of electronics in the states - mostly stuff that is only available there (smartthings, googlehome or amazon echo/dot). Are there any roadblocks that would stop me from simply sending as a "gift" to myself? If names are a problem, it would be a "gift" to my wife.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11491 upvotes
Gifts are only to be sent from US Citizens.
Plus any gift that's over $60 has to be taxed/dutied anyway.

By the time you factor in shipping costs (especially with USPS since it's stupidly expensive front end) it'll be cheaper just to declare them properly and pay the taxes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
6954 posts
7345 upvotes
Vancouver
Oscar11 wrote: Hi all,

just wondering how this works. im looking at buying potentially $500 worth of electronics in the states - mostly stuff that is only available there (smartthings, googlehome or amazon echo/dot). Are there any roadblocks that would stop me from simply sending as a "gift" to myself? If names are a problem, it would be a "gift" to my wife.
If you buy them during a time when you are out of Canada for a week or more, you can declare them as unaccompanied goods at the border. When you have them shipped over later you don't have to pay any duties/taxes on goods valued up to $800. Otherwise, you're going to have to declare them—gift or no gift you are still liable for any import duties and taxes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1607 posts
289 upvotes
so i guess they check ID? I ship from canada to the US all the time, nobody checks my ID to make sure I'm canadian.

and i was thinking of making the "value" under $100
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26045 posts
11491 upvotes
Now you're doing 2 false declarations.
Will you be caught? Probably not.
But it's going to be funny (for me anyway) if you are. Not so much for you.

As for under valuing, that's even more funny because that's MUCH more likely to be caught.
Then you'll be revalued and fined.