Page 7 of 7

Re: Pick one: 2013 Civic LX vs 2014 Corolla LE.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2013 2:51 pm
by mizermalice
kesleaf wrote:
Sep 4th, 2013 5:20 pm
***** . Honda took away the $1500 factory to dealer incentive from last month (ended yesterday). I was waiting to see what kind of incentives September brings but it looks like there are no incentives after running the report :(
I just called Toronto Honda and they still have the $1500 cash incentive (confirmed by sales manager). However, the person did tell me that they are constantly changing so she couldn't guarantee how long they would still have it.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2013 2:52 pm
by ES_Revenge
Archanfel wrote:
Sep 5th, 2013 12:39 pm
So based on these numbers, the Civic is slightly faster with slightly better handling and slightly better fuel economy, but has a slight further stop distance and slightly nosier at idle. Both are fairly mediocre boring commuter cars.
Yes based on numbers. However numbers don't tell the entire story. Just drive the two side-by-side and the difference is huge. In the Civic you don't feel scared for your life having gotten on a highway in it, in the Corolla you do. As said the car is so bad it's unreal.

I've driven all sorts of newer small cars as rentals, loaners, friends' cars, etc. Cobalt, Civic, Mini, Golf & Jetta, Mazda3, Impreza, Lancer, Sentra, and the list goes on... None can touch the Corolla in terms of sheer horribleness. Only thing that's as bad of a drive, off the top of my head, is the Smart Car. 2nd generation Escape is perhaps even worse but it's not in the same class. But those two (Escape and Corolla) definitely duke it out for the worst road vehicle made in the past decade. The 3rd gen/current Escape is of course so far improved (recalls notwithstanding, I just mean in driving) they might as well have called it something else, hopefully the new Corolla can do the same.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2013 3:26 pm
by Archanfel
ES_Revenge wrote:
Sep 5th, 2013 2:52 pm
Yes based on numbers. However numbers don't tell the entire story. Just drive the two side-by-side and the difference is huge. In the Civic you don't feel scared for your life having gotten on a highway in it, in the Corolla you do. As said the car is so bad it's unreal.

I've driven all sorts of newer small cars as rentals, loaners, friends' cars, etc. Cobalt, Civic, Mini, Golf & Jetta, Mazda3, Impreza, Lancer, Sentra, and the list goes on... None can touch the Corolla in terms of sheer horribleness. Only thing that's as bad of a drive, off the top of my head, is the Smart Car. 2nd generation Escape is perhaps even worse but it's not in the same class. But those two (Escape and Corolla) definitely duke it out for the worst road vehicle made in the past decade. The 3rd gen/current Escape is of course so far improved (recalls notwithstanding, I just mean in driving) they might as well have called it something else, hopefully the new Corolla can do the same.
My question is still why you felt scared for your life. The acceleration numbers are not that different and the Civic is not that much faster in the Slalom runs, the Corolla was also not louder, so why were you scared in a Corolla, but not in a Civic? The Corolla is clearly not that much slower based on the numbers. You also said the Corolla couldn't stop, yet the number showed it stopped faster than a Civic, so why did you feel that way?

Posted: Sep 5th, 2013 4:31 pm
by sandikosh
Archanfel wrote:
Sep 5th, 2013 3:26 pm
My question is still why you felt scared for your life. The acceleration numbers are not that different and the Civic is not that much faster in the Slalom runs, the Corolla was also not louder, so why were you scared in a Corolla, but not in a Civic? The Corolla is clearly not that much slower based on the numbers. You also said the Corolla couldn't stop, yet the number showed it stopped faster than a Civic, so why did you feel that way?
He's a hondafanatic and a toyohater.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2013 9:18 pm
by civ@uw
2013 Civic felt the same to me as the 2014 Corolla. They look very similar, and the interiors are nice - but really underpowered for driving on the highway. The Accord and Camry are much better driving cars, and the marginal cost increase over the Civic/Corolla is well worth it.

Posted: Sep 5th, 2013 9:40 pm
by eightie
I just bought my 2013 Civic LX for around $21k. The day before I bought the Civic, I was offered $23.8k for the 2014 Corolla LE.

My insurance quote for the Civil is $32/month more than the Corolla - that is $1.9k over 5 years of ownership.

The 2014 Corolla LE is more fuel efficient than the 2014 Civic LX, by about 0.5L/100km (based on their respective websites). Assuming 5 years of ownership with an average driving of 24,000 km per year and gas at 1.3 $/L, the Corolla would save me an additional $0.8k in gas.

So the Civic is 2.8k cheaper than the Corolla, UP FRONT. However, after 5 years of ownership, depends on my driving and gas price, which is more likely to go up. The Corolla may turn out to be cheaper and it comes with a rearview camera, that the Civic lacks.

So if you are going to buy driving a lot and intending to own the car for 3 years or more, my recommendation for you is the 2014 Corolla LE. Don't buy the CE though because not only is it more expensive, but also slightly less fuel efficient than the 2013 Civic.

Posted: Sep 6th, 2013 12:32 am
by Archanfel
civ@uw wrote:
Sep 5th, 2013 9:18 pm
2013 Civic felt the same to me as the 2014 Corolla. They look very similar, and the interiors are nice - but really underpowered for driving on the highway. The Accord and Camry are much better driving cars, and the marginal cost increase over the Civic/Corolla is well worth it.
Other than the initial merge, highway drivings is probably the least demanding for power. You really don't want to do anything sudden on the highway due to the high speed. Usually that's achieved by leaving enough distance in front. 4 secs is the minimum.

Even for the initial merge, according to the traffic act, "Freeway drivers should move over, if it is safe to do so, leaving room for merging vehicles." I never had to floor my Prius C even though it's probably slower than both the Corolla and the Civic.

Posted: Sep 6th, 2013 1:40 pm
by ES_Revenge
Archanfel wrote:
My question is still why you felt scared for your life. The acceleration numbers are not that different and the Civic is not that much faster in the Slalom runs, the Corolla was also not louder, so why were you scared in a Corolla, but not in a Civic?
I don't think you really get it. The car is a turd that's why. Steering feel, brake feel, roadholding... everything--the car is garbage plain and simple.
Archanfel wrote:The Corolla is clearly not that much slower based on the numbers.

Huh? From your numbers, the Civic is like 1s faster to 100km/h.
Archanfel wrote:
You also said the Corolla couldn't stop, yet the number showed it stopped faster than a Civic, so why did you feel that way?
I never said the Civic was a great stopper either. 4ft of difference is like 1/4 car length, not really that much to notice; and that's a full-brakes stop from 60MPH which is certainly an important figure but not how people brake normally. As I said those numbers don't explain qualitative things like brake feel, dive, stability under braking, etc. The Civic is a more solid car, overall, and the driving experience (again though nothing special) is better than the Corolla could hope to be.
sandikosh wrote:
Sep 5th, 2013 4:31 pm
He's a hondafanatic and a toyohater.
I don't really like Hondas much. Only Hondas I ever liked were the 1st gen TSX, the RDX, and the RL (and all of those wear an Acura badge). The Corolla is just a turd, it's hard not to hate a car that's as bad as it is. I don't particularly like the Camry (I'd never buy one). But where the Camry's autobox (for example) is really no better than the Corolla's, at least the Camry isn't terrible vehicle on the road in other aspects. It's not about "hating" on any particular brand, it's about calling a turd a turd; and, that's exactly what Corolla is (for the past two generations anyway). Toyota makes a lot of uninspiring and unexciting vehicles, sure. And I don't like many of them, I'll admit to that. But the Corolla is beyond just uninspiring, it's a real stinkfest.

In all seriousness I'd pick neither the Civic or the Corolla but given you have to choose one, if they were both 2013s? Definitely the Civic. But since the Corolla is redesigned for 2014, I have to reserve judgment until at least a few reputable reviews and probably a test drive of some sort.

Posted: Sep 6th, 2013 1:59 pm
by 1ply
ottofly wrote:
Sep 4th, 2013 12:13 pm
Absolute BS. Did you pluck your facts from the www-ihatetoyotasfornoreason.com?

The 2ZR-FE is vastly different than the 1ZZ you are referring to. The block is different, aluminum vs die cast, valvetrain and cams are different, bore/stroke is different, uses ultra light pistons and most other internals are also different. So is the engine management system. Even the physical dimensions are smaller.

To say that the engine is from 1999 is false. This engine dates from 2009 Corolla and there is absolutely no need for any change especially when the competition is going with direct injection which is a flawed design. Many DI engines will not get past 150,000KM without major engine work, many are showing symptoms after only 2 years. In a few years there will be a lot DI junk on dealer lots. The current 1.8L will be bulletproof, the body will die well before this engine. It isn't a barn burner for sure but the gas mileage is amazing. My 2ZR-FE rarely sees anything above 3200RPM except for highway on ramps so 135HP is more than enough.
Thus my purchase of the Elantra GT. NOT GDI as is the current trend.

Audi has issues with GDI. Lexus has issues with GDI.... soon the economy crown will have issues...

Posted: Sep 6th, 2013 3:19 pm
by Archanfel
ES_Revenge wrote:
Sep 6th, 2013 1:40 pm
I don't think you really get it. The car is a turd that's why. Steering feel, brake feel, roadholding... everything--the car is garbage plain and simple.

Huh? From your numbers, the Civic is like 1s faster to 100km/h.

I never said the Civic was a great stopper either. 4ft of difference is like 1/4 car length, not really that much to notice; and that's a full-brakes stop from 60MPH which is certainly an important figure but not how people brake normally. As I said those numbers don't explain qualitative things like brake feel, dive, stability under braking, etc. The Civic is a more solid car, overall, and the driving experience (again though nothing special) is better than the Corolla could hope to be.

I don't really like Hondas much. Only Hondas I ever liked were the 1st gen TSX, the RDX, and the RL (and all of those wear an Acura badge). The Corolla is just a turd, it's hard not to hate a car that's as bad as it is. I don't particularly like the Camry (I'd never buy one). But where the Camry's autobox (for example) is really no better than the Corolla's, at least the Camry isn't terrible vehicle on the road in other aspects. It's not about "hating" on any particular brand, it's about calling a turd a turd; and, that's exactly what Corolla is (for the past two generations anyway). Toyota makes a lot of uninspiring and unexciting vehicles, sure. And I don't like many of them, I'll admit to that. But the Corolla is beyond just uninspiring, it's a real stinkfest.

In all seriousness I'd pick neither the Civic or the Corolla but given you have to choose one, if they were both 2013s? Definitely the Civic. But since the Corolla is redesigned for 2014, I have to reserve judgment until at least a few reputable reviews and probably a test drive of some sort.
That's kind of my point, feelings can be very deceiving. The Corolla can stop just fine, it may not feel like that, but it can stop actually faster than a Civic and an Accord. It can also accelerate just fine (unless you think 1s makes the world of difference). Yes, the car will grunt, but it can do it if you really step on it. I drive on the highway all the time with my Prius C, which is 1s slower than even the Corolla. I can't say it feels fast, but I never had to floor it either. Some people like fast cars, so they don't feel safe in an econo-box that complains when they are wasting fuel unnecessarily. Some people swear old fashion heavy cars are safer, despite all the crash test results. You don't like Toyota, so no matter how many JD Power survey numbers I give you, you would still call it the king of recalls. Somebody was even calling JD Power and Edmunds criminals for recommending Toyota. Do you have any real world number showing that Corollas cause more accidents on the highway because they are too slow? I doubt it.

In reality, after we remove all the personal feelings, the Corolla is a mediocre econo-box, but it's just fine for day to day commute. It runs, it stops, it scores ok on most crash tests. Is it a good car? Probably not, but it's not a bad car either or millions wouldn't have chosen it. It's a reliable appliance, nothing more, nothing less. It's not for everybody, but it's ok for a lot of people.

I agree with you though, Civic is better performance wise, although not by much.

Posted: Sep 6th, 2013 11:41 pm
by Dark0rb
I recently test drove both of these vehicles. I prefer the styling/looks of the Civic, but oddly the driving experience felt better in the Corolla. Not as much cabin noise, and the steering felt a little weird in the Civic.

Honestly both cars have already proven to be reliable and such. I would just test drive both, weigh your desires, and make a decision. Regardless of what different fanboys of each brand might say, what matters is that you're happy. You need to find the one that you like the best.

Posted: Sep 7th, 2013 9:25 am
by RETD
eightie wrote:
Sep 5th, 2013 9:40 pm
The 2014 Corolla LE is more fuel efficient than the 2014 Civic LX, by about 0.5L/100km (based on their respective websites). Assuming 5 years of ownership with an average driving of 24,000 km per year and gas at 1.3 $/L, the Corolla would save me an additional $0.8k in gas.
Do you actually mean the 2013 Civic? AFAIK, as of today the 2014 is not yet released but it will come with a CVT so fuel economy should be better than the current model.

Posted: Jan 17th, 2014 1:18 pm
by nedjel
RETD wrote:
Sep 7th, 2013 9:25 am
Do you actually mean the 2013 Civic? AFAIK, as of today the 2014 is not yet released but it will come with a CVT so fuel economy should be better than the current model.
http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale ... 8549373100

Posted: Jan 18th, 2014 5:05 pm
by armoredfilms
We just bought a 2014 Corolla S and it's a great car. My last Civic was a 2006 so I can't compare the two. But I find that the Corolla is aggressive looking and fun to drive. We wrapped it in a matte grey vinyl. It looks sharp.

Posted: Jan 18th, 2014 5:20 pm
by jennmach3
Corollas are definitely not fun to drive... not even close lol. They're reliable and will probably last longer than any other car if you take care of it, but it's boring, definitely not aggressive looking, and lacks in features. I'd choose neither the Corolla or Civic, there are better cars. But if they were the only options, I'd go with the Civic.