• Dec 11th, 2008 9:56 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 22, 2005
756 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Pick up mail for someone else

Today I went a little out of my way to pick up a package from the Post Office. The package was delivered a couple days ago, and since no one was home a dlivery notice was left. The package is for a family member who is out of the country for several months. I thought i wouldnt have any problems picking it up myself since I have the same last name and reside at the same address, and have ID to prove this. However when I went to try and pick up the package I was refused. Is this new policy? I havent had this problem with other carriers such as Purolator etc.
Share:
33 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1536 posts
Toronto
tominto wrote:
Dec 10th, 2008 9:13 pm
Today I went a little out of my way to pick up a package from the Post Office. The package was delivered a couple days ago, and since no one was home a dlivery notice was left. The package is for a family member who is out of the country for several months. I thought i wouldnt have any problems picking it up myself since I have the same last name and reside at the same address, and have ID to prove this. However when I went to try and pick up the package I was refused. Is this new policy? I havent had this problem with other carriers such as Purolator etc.
:?: It wasn't addressed to you, Canada Post did the correct thing by not releasing it to you or anyone other than the addressee. Think.
May 27, 2007
15654 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
tominto wrote:
Dec 10th, 2008 9:13 pm

You thought right.
I dont get why you were refused when you have ID to prove you live at the same place. And i assume you have the delivery notification card.

I was able to pick up a package WITHOUT the delivery card, and it was for my mom (different last name). Only showed ID confirming the delivery address.

You should go back and complain, doesnt make sense why you were refused when you have ID to prove it. :rolleyes:
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1536 posts
Toronto
AcidBomber wrote:
Dec 10th, 2008 9:40 pm
You thought right.
I dont get why you were refused when you have ID to prove you live at the same place. And i assume you have the delivery notification card.

I was able to pick up a package WITHOUT the delivery card, and it was for my mom (different last name). Only showed ID confirming the delivery address.

You should go back and complain, doesnt make sense why you were refused when you have ID to prove it. :rolleyes:
No, he didn't think right. The parcel wasn't addressed to him, so why should Canada Post have released it to him??? There's a reason why mail/parcels actually have someone's name on them above the address.
Jun 12, 2007
84 posts
toronto
watching wrote:
Dec 10th, 2008 9:46 pm
No, he didn't think right. The parcel wasn't addressed to him, so why should Canada Post have released it to him??? There's a reason why mail/parcels actually have someone's name on them above the address.
+1

Once Canada post wouldn't release a parcel to me because my last name was misspelled by one character(even though it was the same address, first name and most of the last name). Parcel has to be returned and reshipped. Go figure
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4039 posts
139 upvotes
Peterborough
So far I haven't had any problems picking up packages with a different name on them at Canada Post. Sometimes hey just ask me for my address (verbally) and then they give it to me.
PSN ID: SaabFanatic
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1536 posts
Toronto
You who've posted you've picked up parcels from CP addressed to someone else are either bs'ing this forum or the staff at those CP outlets needs to be reported.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23275 posts
1434 upvotes
Markham
My dad picked up several packages that's not his, (family member, same address)
Jun 12, 2007
84 posts
toronto
Tha_Doggg wrote:
Dec 10th, 2008 9:51 pm
So far I haven't had any problems picking up packages with a different name on them at Canada Post. Sometimes hey just ask me for my address (verbally) and then they give it to me.

If one off my family members picked up a parcel under my name I would sue the pants off whoever released it. This is why they are very careful and the name and address
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1536 posts
Toronto
panoptio wrote:
Dec 10th, 2008 9:51 pm
+1

Once Canada post wouldn't release a parcel to me because my last name was misspelled by one character(even though it was the same address, first name and most of the last name). Parcel has to be returned and reshipped. Go figure
LOL :lol:

Can you see this happening?

Parcel addressed to "A" arrives at local CP outlet.

CP releases the parcel to "B", who then opens it, knowing it isn't addressed to him.

"A" finds out and sues CP for releasing the parcel to "B" in the first place.

I'm sure it's happened before.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2006
2380 posts
778 upvotes
GTA
will your relative be back soon? because the parcel gets returned to the sender after 15 days if it isn't picked up.

maybe you should talk to CP again.
Oct 1, 2005
424 posts
8 upvotes
There are many times when my relatives picked up my parcels for me, they just need to show their ID with address to the post office.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2006
9799 posts
369 upvotes
I've always been okay with this. They just check the address and usually that means it's good especially if you carry official ID like a drivers license.

Even when they deliver to your house, they never check ID even if someone else gets the door. Even as a kid they would release packages to me.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4039 posts
139 upvotes
Peterborough
watching wrote:
Dec 10th, 2008 9:58 pm
You who've posted you've picked up parcels from CP addressed to someone else are either bs'ing this forum or the staff at those CP outlets needs to be reported.
I'm clearly not bs'ing. Numerous times I have picked up parcels like this. I don't see the problem as long as you have the same address.
What is a letter of authorization? Couldn't you write one yourself? :)
PSN ID: SaabFanatic
× < >