Sports & Recreation

PickupHockeyGTA Sunday Canlan VICTORIA PARK at 9:30PM Every Sunday Night!!! Skill Level Low-Mid

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2023 2:20 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1982 posts
298 upvotes
Markham
Hey OP, are you still accepting new players? I've been playing league inline for about 5 years, but just started ice skating two years ago. Played a few ice pick-up games but no league action. I would probably rank myself 2.5 at best on ice.
Aug 18, 2009
369 posts
7 upvotes
ndrew029 wrote: Hey OP, are you still accepting new players? I've been playing league inline for about 5 years, but just started ice skating two years ago. Played a few ice pick-up games but no league action. I would probably rank myself 2.5 at best on ice.
We are always accepting new players.
please sign yourself up on our website:

http://pickuphockeygta.spruz.com/

Next game is December 24 from 3 - 4pm at Canlan Victoria Park.

Our regular Saturday night games at 8:30pm at Canlan Scarborough will start up again in January 2013.
Aug 18, 2009
369 posts
7 upvotes
The January hockey game schedule is now on the website. We will be having be having games on Saturdays Jan 12, 19 and 26 and the goalie spots have already been filled.

Please RSVP at our website:
http://pickuphockeygta.spruz.com/
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Can I play with just a stick, gloves and skates? No helmet, shinguards, pants or protection.

When I played pickup, shinny outdoors, we had no raising the puck and no hitting/rough contact rules.
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Aug 18, 2009
369 posts
7 upvotes
equipment is for your protection so I recommend it. However if you feel comfortable playing without them then that's cool. There is no contact, but it can't be guaranteed that the puck will not be raised..

Please register on our website and RSVP for those games you can attend :)
CSR wrote: Can I play with just a stick, gloves and skates? No helmet, shinguards, pants or protection.

When I played pickup, shinny outdoors, we had no raising the puck and no hitting/rough contact rules.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1982 posts
298 upvotes
Markham
I can't see this going well for you. Even if it's no contact, a lot of things can happen by accident (errant sticks, pucks, bodies, deflections). Go buy some equipment. Lots of sales on right now. We'd feel bad if anything happened to you -- but you'd probably feel much worse.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
wilsonchan96 wrote: equipment is for your protection so I recommend it. However if you feel comfortable playing without them then that's cool.
Please register on our website and RSVP for those games you can attend :)
I'd be very surprised if the rink would even let someone play without a helmet.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Serious? Last 2 replies not very encouraging. Never had an incident in many years of outdoor pick up hockey.
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
CSR wrote: Serious? Last 2 replies not very encouraging. Never had an incident in many years of outdoor pick up hockey.
Outdoor pickup hockey is a different game.

I play at the outdoor rinks all the time, and I play in a few full equipment shinny games, and I would personally hate it if someone tried to play in the full equipment games with no gear. The game is a lot more fun when you can raise the puck as high as you want, take real shots on net, block shots, shoot through traffic, not worry about a little bit of contact here and there, etc etc etc.

Just playing with goalies adds a huge degree of danger if you are not playing in full gear.

You can say that you will do so at your own risk, but nobody wants to see someone get hurt, so they just wont play as they normally do.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Good game! A few breakaways and big hits...I mean accidents. Lots of ice time and a good mix of players. Most guys were were in full gear. Not your typical outdoor pickup hockey game, and to be honest, it'd be a bit challenging for someone who's never played before, but not too bad.
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1982 posts
298 upvotes
Markham
CSR wrote: Good game! A few breakaways and big hits...I mean accidents. Lots of ice time and a good mix of players. Most guys were were in full gear. Not your typical outdoor pickup hockey game, and to be honest, it'd be a bit challenging for someone who's never played before, but not too bad.
Good to see you at least brought some protection. I was looking for the guy with no helmet. I think one guy didn't have shin pads, which I already think is crazy. :)
Aug 18, 2009
369 posts
7 upvotes
we had a great turnout today 8 on 8 (few no shows) but what can you do...

This game was advertised as a "beginner-low" game to get more people because of christmas eve.

Our Saturday games starting again on January 12 will be at a bit lower level than today =)
Jan 1, 2007
406 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Hey thanks for organizing. I had a lot of fun.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18714 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
ndrew029 wrote: Good to see you at least brought some protection. I was looking for the guy with no helmet. I think one guy didn't have shin pads, which I already think is crazy. :)
I scrambled to pick up a helmet last minute. I had the shiny white helmet with the stickers still on.
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
1729 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
New player here. Looking to join you guys next game.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
haven't skated for a couple of years and havent play in a league game since high school

think ill join you guys on the 12th
The sweetest gyal

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)