Sports & Recreation

PickupHockeyGTA Sunday Canlan VICTORIA PARK at 9:00PM March 19. Skill Level Low-Mid

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 12:03 am
[OP]
Aug 18, 2009
310 posts
3 upvotes

PickupHockeyGTA Sunday Canlan VICTORIA PARK at 9:00PM March 19. Skill Level Low-Mid

Visit us at:

http://pickuphockeygta.spruz.com/

We run games on Sunday nights generally.

Been running games for over 4 years now and every game has had 2 goalies so far. (Never had to shoot at an open net or flip nets around)

We only run games when we have 2 goalies lined up.

Our skill level is LOW-MID
ASHL equivalent of Division D / E
Last edited by wilsonchan96 on Nov 7th, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 26 times in total.
303 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7688 posts
426 upvotes
Sounds awesome. Great way for people to start playing hockey in a nice setting.

I started playing maybe 4 years ago and took a huge plunge by just joining a team. To this day, I'm still surprised I never got booted off because I sucked so bad. Everyone else had grown up playing some hockey. I started with nothing but basic skating skills and a set of sparkling clean gear. Ended up having people just blow right by me, touching the puck a handful of times or playing hot potatoe if it ever did come tome. I wish I had something like this to get me started.

I would totally join in if I lived in Toronto. Actually, I may still try to join in for the 17th since I'm in town that weekend…
Nov 23, 2005
149 posts
8 upvotes
Late adult starter to hockey and am loving it!

In case you and your pals need other alternatives, here is a list for beginners/low level with prices from $15-$20:

[1] Adulthockeyclub.com
- various nights with real beginners, beginners, low, low-mid, and up
- played at Rinx and Vaughan
- runs from 50 minutes to 90 minutes plus depending on level

[2] fnhockey.ca
- Fridays with mix of beginners to low
- played at Pavilion only
- runs from 50 minutes most of the time to extra time depending on who the zamboni guy is for the evening

[3] Hockeynoobs.com
- played at York Canlan
- runs 90 minutes guaranteed and usually up to two hours or until goalies drop dead....lol

** FIRST TIME REGISTRANTS - click on "SIGNUP" right where it lists the people currently signed. A small pop up box will ask for username/password. Put in anything then click SUBMIT. This will take you to a page where you can fill the necessary info and then register. You'll have to wait for the pickup organizer to email you back.

[4] Westendshinny.ca
- Fridays with mix of beginners to low (haven't been to this one for awhile though)
- played at Etobicoke Canlan
- unsure of time but hour minimum plus few extra

You can also call around the various Canlan for stick & puck sessions for $7 usually. Also try Westwood and Chesswood arenas.

From someone who started five years ago and committed to improve, the best decision was to take lessons as I had no knowledge of defensive/offensive positioning, breakouts, puck cycling, and other things. PM me and I can recommend someone for you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7688 posts
426 upvotes
One-Eye Samu-Rai wrote:
Nov 7th, 2012 3:53 pm
Late adult starter to hockey and am loving it!

In case you and your pals need other alternatives, here is a list for beginners/low level with prices from $15-$20:

[1] Adulthockeyclub.com
- various nights with real beginners, beginners, low, low-mid, and up
- played at Rinx and Vaughan

[2] fnhockey.ca
- played at Pavilion only

[3] Hockeynoobs.com
- played at York Canlan

[4] Westendshinny.ca
- Fridays with mix of beginners to low (haven't been to this one for awhile though)
- played at Etobicoke Canlan

You can also call around the various Canlan for stick & puck sessions for $7 usually. Also try Westwood and Chesswood arenas.

From someone who started five years ago and committed to improve, the best decision was to take lessons as I had no knowledge of defensive/offensive positioning, breakouts, puck cycling, and other things. PM me and I can recommend someone for you.
Great post. Great info.

I was similar to you. I took the city park and rec clinics in Ottawa for about 2 years. I found that with just playing games, I was not improving. You might become a better player positionally, etc with games, but a lot of the basics take time and repetition to improve and game situations simply don't allow for that. To really get better, I found that I had to have both drill style practice and real game situations to apply them.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2009
310 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for the replies guys.

1) With Adulthockeyclub, the games are $20 and only last 45 mins.
2) With fnhockey, although they state its beginner, they are all very fast skaters and it's $15.
3) With hockeynoobs, I've never been to and now there are no new registrations allowed.
4) Never been (too far for me)

Stick and puck in the arenas do not allow for scrimmage and practice and drills alone is quite different than a game.
Also most of the Stick and puck in GTA are during weekdays during work hours.

That is just my perspective. That's why I want to see if I can start up a game where everyone has a chance to touch the puck and improve together, rather than pay $20 to have people dance circles around you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7688 posts
426 upvotes
CSR wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 1:41 am
Interesting.... but didn't realize ice time was that expensive!!
Funny. I was just thinking the opposite! Break even cost for ice time in Ottawa is about $15pp for 50 mins based on 20 players + 2 goalies (free). My league games are right around $20/game with the addition of 2 refs and 1 scorekeeper.
Nov 23, 2005
149 posts
8 upvotes
ICE COSTS

Prices for contract ice or single ice times around GTA. I've never used this before, just posting what I saw on a hockey forum but found it interesting to get an idea. Unfortunately, some times are best offer so don't know what they are actually going for.

http://www.trade-ice-time.com/Ontario.htm

OP, this may give you an idea of what it costs depending on day and time and other possible venues for your group.

PARITY

I happen to come across an American pickup hockey site that is done very well.

http://www.jmshockey.com/community/parity

They list different levels with video to give an idea to potential players joining, an idea of what to expect at certain level games.

As the OP mentioned, he finds some places to be listed as beginner but may be more higher/advanced than advertised. I do agree depending on if you are just starting off that some pickups will be overwhelming to someone new to the game.

btw, OP, if you viewed the videos on the linked site, what level would your group mainly be? Just asking.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2009
310 posts
3 upvotes
One-Eye Samu-Rai wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 2:07 pm
ICE COSTS

Prices for contract ice or single ice times around GTA. I've never used this before, just posting what I saw on a hockey forum but found it interesting to get an idea. Unfortunately, some times are best offer so don't know what they are actually going for.

http://www.trade-ice-time.com/Ontario.htm

OP, this may give you an idea of what it costs depending on day and time and other possible venues for your group.

PARITY

I happen to come across an American pickup hockey site that is done very well.

http://www.jmshockey.com/community/parity

They list different levels with video to give an idea to potential players joining, an idea of what to expect at certain level games.

As the OP mentioned, he finds some places to be listed as beginner but may be more higher/advanced than advertised. I do agree depending on if you are just starting off that some pickups will be overwhelming to someone new to the game.

btw, OP, if you viewed the videos on the linked site, what level would your group mainly be? Just asking.
Thanks for your input.

The level I would anticipate the group to be at should be level 2 - 3.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7688 posts
426 upvotes
Nice link for the JMS videos. Great site to differentiate between the levels.

Based on the videos, I started at Level 2 and over the past few years would consider myself graduated to Level 2.5. I will be quite proud of myself when I make a solid Level 3, which may be never :(

The league I play in has 11 divisions. The lowest division is a solid Level 3. The next 5 divisions are Level 4. The remaining 5 divisions are Level 5.

Good idea for the OP to indicate the expected level of play. I am literally the 2nd worst player in my division because I play with guys out of my league. So I continually look at myself as "noob" and "beginner" as it took me 4 years to score a goal… but I forget that there is the possibility of a group playing at a lower level than me.
Oct 2, 2012
683 posts
30 upvotes
if i didnt blow 1000 bucks on golf this summer and join a gym i would be down 100%
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1667 posts
151 upvotes
I would love to join this but I am away the weekend of the 17th so I will follow up after that weekend. Is 930 the only time you can do? If you can do earlier that would be amazing.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1710 posts
177 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wow....would love to join you guys/gals. I play hockey, but in no way am I considered any good. Would love to come out for a skate.
“My generation? We drink because it’s good. Because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar. Because we deserve it. We drink because it’s what men do.”
Roger Sterling

"I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most" Kanye West

"oh kwa tan zin wan" Riley Martin
Nov 23, 2005
149 posts
8 upvotes
wilsonchan96 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 2:15 pm
Thanks for your input.

The level I would anticipate the group to be at should be just shy of level 2.
Hey OP,

Keep everyone updated on whether you will be going ahead with the dates you mentioned.

I'm maybe Level 3 or 3.5 I suppose and not good by any means. If you don't mind someone at Level 3 to drop in, let me know especially if you can get more than an hour of ice time.

Good luck and have fun with the game!
Nov 23, 2005
149 posts
8 upvotes
Stock R wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 2:27 pm
Nice link for the JMS videos. Great site to differentiate between the levels.

Based on the videos, I started at Level 2 and over the past few years would consider myself graduated to Level 2.5. I will be quite proud of myself when I make a solid Level 3, which may be never :(

The league I play in has 11 divisions. The lowest division is a solid Level 3. The next 5 divisions are Level 4. The remaining 5 divisions are Level 5.

Good idea for the OP to indicate the expected level of play. I am literally the 2nd worst player in my division because I play with guys out of my league. So I continually look at myself as "noob" and "beginner" as it took me 4 years to score a goal… but I forget that there is the possibility of a group playing at a lower level than me.
Keep at it! At least from my personal experience, some lessons and putting it to practice in games helped alot. You'll only get better the way I see it. I've seen many improve so much over a couple of years when they could barely skate.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel