Sports & Recreation

PickupHockeyGTA Sunday Canlan VICTORIA PARK at 9:30PM Every Sunday Night!!! Skill Level Low-Mid

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2023 2:20 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Just wanted to provide a "review" on the beginner hockey that Wilson is organizing.

I happened to be in the GTA this past weekend with my hockey gear, so I signed up and went for the 1hr (1:05) of hockey with this group. Had a great time. Everyone was easy going and fun to play with. No bad sportsmanship, show boats, etc. It started on time and got an extra few minutes of play time at the end. I got my fair share of ice time in case anyone is worried there are ice hogs. I would say though, based on the parity videos, the overall player level is more like Level 2 or just below level 2. There may have only been a couple of people around a Level 1.

I'd love to go again but I live in a different city :( I'd recommend anyone interested to give it a try.
Nov 1, 2012
3 posts
Another "review" here as I also played at this pick up game on Friday. In my opinion, the game on Friday was pretty fun. I think everybody had a good time. There were a few guys who weren't really beginners but they definitely weren't hogging the puck and showing off. Everybody was passing the puck around and trying to make plays happen. Seems like a great group of guys and I look forward to playing with everyone again next time.

To anyone who's on the fence about starting to play hockey as an adult, I would encourage you to come out and try it out. I just got all my hockey gear earlier this year and have started playing for the last few months. Took skating lessons as a kid (but am still a pretty crappy skater), and never played ice hockey before, other than a couple times in high school. So I'm about as beginner as they come.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
I'm interested, I don't really know how to skate that well, and I'm currently playing drop in ball hockey only as a goalie, however last weekend I played in a Co-Ed tournament, and I had a blast.I definitely want to get as much hockey in while I'm young ;) I've been scouring Kijiji for goalie gear, but I'm afraid I might just need to take out some savings to get some new gear. I've purchased used equipment for ball hockey before, and it made me gag!

I'll keep looking and keeping an eye on this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7578 posts
576 upvotes
York
I'd really love to join for a few games but as a university student, $15 is a lot for an hour of ice time! Besides that, I only have a helmet, gloves, and a couple sticks, nothing else equipment wise so I'm looking at at least $200 worth of elbow pads, shin guards, hockey pants, chest protectors, neck guards, etc. While I'm not very good and pretty much just skate up and down the ice when playing shinny, I get to do it for free, with minimal equipment. Really want to play but don't wanna spend much :/ I'll see if I can borrow some equipment from friends or something..
Aug 18, 2009
369 posts
7 upvotes
dankup wrote: I'd really love to join for a few games but as a university student, $15 is a lot for an hour of ice time! Besides that, I only have a helmet, gloves, and a couple sticks, nothing else equipment wise so I'm looking at at least $200 worth of elbow pads, shin guards, hockey pants, chest protectors, neck guards, etc. While I'm not very good and pretty much just skate up and down the ice when playing shinny, I get to do it for free, with minimal equipment. Really want to play but don't wanna spend much :/ I'll see if I can borrow some equipment from friends or something..
Full equipment is recommended for your own safety ( in case you fall). At our level, there is no contact or physical stuff going on, nor will people take a slapshot when people are around / in front. That being said, shin guards are probably the most important equipment at a minimum.

As for $15 an hour, that's what it costs to break even since ice time is expensive.
When you play shinny for free, I assume its at your university or at one of the City of Toronto public arenas (where the skill level varies and usually no goalies)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7578 posts
576 upvotes
York
wilsonchan96 wrote: Full equipment is recommended for your own safety ( in case you fall). At our level, there is no contact or physical stuff going on, nor will people take a slapshot when people are around / in front. That being said, shin guards are probably the most important equipment at a minimum.

As for $15 an hour, that's what it costs to break even since ice time is expensive.
When you play shinny for free, I assume its at your university or at one of the City of Toronto public arenas (where the skill level varies and usually no goalies)
Yeah it's at one of the Toronto public arenas. Wow. I thought you guys said it's MANDATORY for equipment, now I'm real interested :D Although I don't fly on the ice, I can skate well enough to avoid falls. If there's no checking, no slap shots, and the puck doesn't leave the ice much I think I'll be ok (I'll still look for equipment though if my friend can provide it).

I'll get specific then: How many guys are on the ice @ one time? How much playing time do you actually get (how long are the shifts)? I'm not sure what "^level 2" is by ability to play, so how bad is everyone? Is it mostly adults who come out?
Aug 18, 2009
369 posts
7 upvotes
dankup wrote: Yeah it's at one of the Toronto public arenas. Wow. I thought you guys said it's MANDATORY for equipment, now I'm real interested :D Although I don't fly on the ice, I can skate well enough to avoid falls. If there's no checking, no slap shots, and the puck doesn't leave the ice much I think I'll be ok (I'll still look for equipment though if my friend can provide it).

I'll get specific then: How many guys are on the ice @ one time? How much playing time do you actually get (how long are the shifts)? I'm not sure what "^level 2" is by ability to play, so how bad is everyone? Is it mostly adults who come out?
1) 5 on 5
2) Keep shifts short
3) Refer to previous posts on Level 2 parity video.
4) I would say it Ages 20 - 35
5) Last time, it was 8 on the dark team and 7 on the white team (meaning times of playing time with minimum sitting time)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Unfortunately hockey is an expensive sport and you have to pay to play. With the number of people showing up, I do believe $15 really is a good price and a break-even point. I would recommend full gear regardless. When you're playing a "game", stuff happens and even if you're a competent skater, you will: fall, get hit by a puck, get hit by a stick, get bulldozed by accident, etc at some point. It's inevitable. Even if everyone there is playing nice and casual. There are a few slapshots and the puck will come off the ice. You do not need high end gear though. I regret some of my gear choices as I got mid-high range stuff when I first started and found out a lot of it was overkill. Since you already have some stuff, I don't think you need to hit $200 if you aren't picky and look for some deals.

I personally found there were too few players last time so everyone got more than plenty of ice time. With 3 guys on the bench and everyone being unfamiliar, people were just rotating first off/first on. So you never knew if you were going to be a forward or playing D. Sometimes you'd come off for 10 secs and next thing you know, you'd be going back on again. 4-5 guys on the bench is perfect as you can have some people commit to playing forward and some defense and rotate from there. What I found last time was that most of the guys (at least on my team) weren't in very good shape ( :lol: ) so no one really dragged on for some really long shifts. As long as everyone skates hard, everyone will get plenty of ice time. It only gets messed up when you have some guys who have strong cardio that decide to just go around in cruise mode and do 5 min shifts.

I am use to playing 2 lines w/ 1.5min shifts for 45 min games and find that being a good amount of ice time. This pickup hockey will get you 2 min shifts for 1 solid hour. It's plenty and you are really getting your $'s worth. I would join regularly if I still lived in TO.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2550 posts
573 upvotes
I've been taking power skating for 3 years at Canlan York but have yet to play in an actual game. This sounds awesome. I'm definitely interested in playing on December 1st.
Aug 18, 2009
369 posts
7 upvotes
RideGuy wrote: I've been taking power skating for 3 years at Canlan York but have yet to play in an actual game. This sounds awesome. I'm definitely interested in playing on December 1st.
Can you send me an email at beginnerhockey@gmail.com
Thanks,
Wilson
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
STP123 wrote: This is an excellent link...information provides a good reference point for those new to organized hockey and are not sure what level to join.

Played pond hockey in my teens but never anything close to organized. Fast forward thirty years and put on hockey equipment for the first time in my life two years ago (in my mid-40's) and joined a "low level" league. I think I was perhaps a level 2 (barely) at the time. Well, as a new player, I was playing against level 3 and 4's at this so called low level and got absolutely smoked. I've since found a more suitable league and also worked up to a decent 3 level and enjoying the game because everyone else in the league is at the same level...this is the key to enjoying the game. Kudos OP for what you are trying to accomplish. I wish I had something like what you are setting up 10 - 20 years ago. For those sitting on the fence - DO IT NOW! (You won't regret it). If you have passion, ice-time and extra-lessons, you will get better. Good luck and play safe!
+1

This is an excellent idea for people looking to pick up the game. I joined a beginner league through True North when I was just shy of 30 - I had never really skated before and it was tough. I started at a level 1 or below based on those videos. But I really enjoyed it and I've kept it up ever since. I'd say I'm a level 3 now and I'm still on the bottom rungs of my team :) If anyone is thinking of starting later in life, do it!

If you're ok with a level 3ish player coming out, I'd be interested.
Aug 18, 2009
369 posts
7 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote: +1

This is an excellent idea for people looking to pick up the game. I joined a beginner league through True North when I was just shy of 30 - I had never really skated before and it was tough. I started at a level 1 or below based on those videos. But I really enjoyed it and I've kept it up ever since. I'd say I'm a level 3 now and I'm still on the bottom rungs of my team :) If anyone is thinking of starting later in life, do it!

If you're ok with a level 3ish player coming out, I'd be interested.
I'm ok with you coming out
Send me an email at beginnerhockey@gmail.com please.
Dec 7, 2007
567 posts
21 upvotes
im doing Powerskating and Hockey Skills level 1 at Canlan Scarborough Saturday mornings and this is the first I've heard of this group meeting. Someone collected a list of names of guys in the class that would want to get some scrimmages or what not going on. Maybe you can shoot him an email and try to merge groups. I will PM the OP with the email I recieved after signing up.
Aug 18, 2009
369 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks for coming out guys. We got a nice paced 8 on 8 last Saturday.

Next game is at 8:45pm on Saturday December 8 at Canlan Scarborough

If you are interested in coming out for our next game, please email me at beginnerhockey@gmail.com to secure a spot on the roster.

To see who is already on the roster / see a sample video of what kind of skill level we are, please check out website at:
http://pickuphockeygta.spruz.com/
Nov 1, 2012
3 posts
hey everyone,
if anyone's interested in playing on Dec 24th from 3-4 pm at Canlan Victoria Park (3552 Victoria Park Avenue, Toronto ON M2H2N5), please let me know. Cost will be $10-15. level will be about the same as Wilson's games.