Shopping Discussion

Picture of receipt matching

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 6:59 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
6 posts

Picture of receipt matching

I was wondering if stores like Walmart, no frills, etc. would allow to price match based when presented with a picture of a receipt from another store... Ie. someone buys a product for a cheaper price, the receipt has the barcode + description + price outlined and the picture of it is then used at a different store with a higher price, let's say the same day. I couldn't find the answer to my question before and also haven't tried it myself.
Compare grocery prices the smart way: lowerapp.io
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9250 posts
8096 upvotes
Oakville
It's hit or miss. Usually they will check their webpage or call to confirm if the deal is very hot.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5547 upvotes
If it were me, I'd reject it.
Too easy to doctor. Same with photo/website on your device.

If I check it directly, it's much much harder to screw with.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
6 posts
engineered wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:19 am
It's hit or miss. Usually they will check their webpage or call to confirm if the deal is very hot.
Ok, but even if the receipt has the UPC code on it?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9250 posts
8096 upvotes
Oakville
lowermags wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 7:37 pm
Ok, but even if the receipt has the UPC code on it?
My local HD won't even match other HD's that are too far away. UPC means nothing as that can easily be faked. Even a webpage can be faked if just showing it on your phone.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
6 posts
engineered wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:04 pm
My local HD won't even match other HD's that are too far away. UPC means nothing as that can easily be faked. Even a webpage can be faked if just showing it on your phone.
Sorry for a noob question, but what does HD stand for?
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
6 posts
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:15 am

But then they accept Flipp on the phone...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9250 posts
8096 upvotes
Oakville
lowermags wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:14 am
Sorry for a noob question, but what does HD stand for?
HomeDepot
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7430 posts
1222 upvotes
lowermags wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:15 am
Flipp has the start date of the promotion and the end date of the promotion as well they can go back to the first page to check this information.

Receipt doesnt say whether its a weekly promotion or a one off that this person got from that specific store.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
6 posts
EPcjay wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:15 am
Flipp has the start date of the promotion and the end date of the promotion as well they can go back to the first page to check this information.

Receipt doesnt say whether its a weekly promotion or a one off that this person got from that specific store.
So then this is what I have found on the FrenshCo website:
Our guarantee that we’re cheaper means that if a major supermarket competitor within your local store’s geographic trade area offers a lower price on any item that we carry in our store, simply show us their price in their flyer/ad (current) or on their receipt (within 7 days of purchase) and we will sell you that item for 1¢ less. Applies to identical items (same brand, item type (in the case of produce, meat and bakery), size and attributes) or comparable items in the case of private label. Does not apply to prescriptions or gift cards. Excludes ‘spend x get x’; clearance sales, and ‘free’ promotions and discounts obtained through loyalty or other preferred customer programs. Does not apply to competition misprints or withdrawn or corrected advertisements. We reserve the right to verify competitor prices and to limit quantities to 2 identical products/flavours. “Our major supermarket competitors”, “geographic trade areas” and “comparable items” are determined solely by us and are based on a number of factors that can change from time to time. We reserve the right to make changes to this program without prior notice.
https://freshco.com/faq/

It says they would honour receipt. Nothing about mobile or app...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5547 upvotes
lowermags wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:15 am
I mean... if you want to rebuilt Flipp with fake prices, there's nothing stopping you.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
6 posts
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 6:11 pm
I mean... if you want to rebuilt Flipp with fake prices, there's nothing stopping you.
Lol, that would be short-lived. I think. But I am trying to build something that would be helpful. Sharing receipts if they would be honored by the cashiers would be awesome. Which seems like a hit & miss scenario.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
4729 posts
2287 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:

You're looking at this the wrong way. If it were you, you'd be slaving your life away for minimum wage there. If the price is not too crazy and you won't get in trouble, why care?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5547 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 6:42 pm
You're looking at this the wrong way. If it were you, you'd be slaving your life away for minimum wage there. If the price is not too crazy and you won't get in trouble, why care?
Right.... I forget that retail workers are basically dead inside.
Still.. there might be checks to make sure I'm under a certain ratio of discounts etc so even if I am dead inside I might not be able to take it. Or try and fight you on it.
Jan 12, 2017
903 posts
630 upvotes
Maple Ridge
death_hawk wrote:

or maybe cashier made a mistake, why should I match someone else's mistake.