• Mar 23rd, 2018 2:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 23, 2014
32 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Pilot

Anyone considering the career as a Pilot. I know there is a lot of skeptics about this as a career path, but how realistic is it to get hired with a major airline after completing PPL and commercial license.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2113 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
NeedforSpeed wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:55 am
Anyone considering the career as a Pilot. I know there is a lot of skeptics about this as a career path, but how realistic is it to get hired with a major airline after completing PPL and commercial license.
You need 1 more licenses to get Airline transport pilot license The Path to ATPL .
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4032 posts
1026 upvotes
Debtario
Kinda wondered this as well at some point since I had a childhood fascination with planes, though from what I've seen it comes down to experience - just like any other job. The few people I know who went onto careers in aviation started young and had help/training from family members, except for someone I knew that took commercial aviation management in university. Either way, not a quick/cheap career path to get into, but doable if you're committed. You really gotta love it though, because if you go commercial you'll pretty much be a taxi driver, most likely living out of a suitcase and dealing with seniority taking a decade to move up etc., assuming your airline doesn't fold and leave you starting back from 0.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
This topic has been covered so many times. Even quite eeee belt.

Your first step to learning more about this, is figuring out the SEARCH feature in this forum. If you can't figure that out, you can forget about getting any further in this career option!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1345 posts
359 upvotes
My sister in law is a pilot, it is pretty rewarding once you get to a job with a big airline but until then you will get paid nothing while getting the hours you need to qualify for the job. I think it took her 10 years to finally get the hours and she basically lived at home and had to be on call for the private operator she worked for so she couldn't really have another job.
Then after you do get into a big airline you get caught in the seniority trap of being at the bottom of the barrel for shifts.
Alex
Oct 3, 2008
361 posts
108 upvotes
Canada
The 'pilot shortage' is upon us. Now would be a very good time to join the ranks. The industry is all screwed up due to the lack of interest in flying caused by the low pay and it's biting companies in the ass. Very low amount of new pilot licenses are being signed off yearly by Transport Canada and you cannot skimp on training in this field. Expect salaries to increase to what they should actually be soon enough. International carriers are already paying 6 figure salaries (in USD) to go and fly overseas leading to less pilots available domestically also.
Jul 30, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
I would say now is the best time to get your licenses. A LOT of pilots are being hired as First Officer on a Dash 8 at barely 500 hours. I saw pilots getting out of flight school, with 250 hours, being hired straight to a Dash 8 at Air Canada Express (Jazz aviation). 15 years ago you needed 4000 hours to fly a King Air as a First Officer and paid around 20K a year, that was BAD. Salary and working conditions are improving year after year and duties gets shorter with time, so no more 14-15 hours day like before. So if you get out of school with commercial license, multi IFR rating and 220 hours you will probably need to build up some time on a small turbo prop for a year(more or less) before being hired on a small regional airline. You shouldn't have any problem finding a right seat job on a small turboprop plane as a first officer. Some(many) flying school have agreements with regionals so you might want to check that out, it will help and you may be lucky once you are done with obtaining your licenses. Of course there are exceptions. Sometimes it takes a year before someone finds a job as a pilot, but it is less frequent now than it was before.

You get group insurances, travel benefits and pension plan basically everywhere now. An overview of salary for you, excluding the per diems(add 500 to 1000$ net per month for those);

First Officer on small turboprop (6-8seats); ~ 30 000$ - 35 000$ a year
Captain on a small turboprop (6-8seats); ~ 50 000$ - 70 000$ a year

First Officer at a small regional airline (Dash 8, CRJ); ~40 000$ - 65 000$ a year
Captain at a small regional airline (Dash 8, CRJ); ~ 80 000$ - 120 000$ a year

First Officer at a major airline (Air Canada, Air Transat, Sunwing, Westjet, etc.); ~ 55 000$ - 140 000$ (1st year to 12e year)
Captain at a major airline (Air Canada, Air Transat, Sunwing, Westjet, etc.); ~ 130 000$ - 320 000$ (1st year to 12e year)

Working at a small regional airline mean you will fly between 600 and 800 hours of flight per year, this is working more or less 15 days a month and most major will hire you with at least 2000 hours of flight, with references. If you don't have any references, expect 3000 hours at least. This is as of today.
Feb 18, 2011
82 posts
4 upvotes
go for it. it's expensive but if cost is not an issue why not.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28536 posts
3915 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I’m a graduate of The Brampton Flight Club. I looked at this for a career way Back and the amount of hours required deterred me from continuing.

You make up the hours by teaching. It’s a tough life.

I stopped flying several years ago. It’s too expensive and once you’re over 40, you need physicals every year.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5226 posts
2534 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I thought a lot of people got into being commercial pilots by getting experience in the Air Force (getting paid, etc). Is this no longer the case?
Jul 30, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 11:36 am
I’m a graduate of The Brampton Flight Club. I looked at this for a career way Back and the amount of hours required deterred me from continuing.

You make up the hours by teaching. It’s a tough life.

I stopped flying several years ago. It’s too expensive and once you’re over 40, you need physicals every year.
Cat 1 medical(required for commercial and airline pilot license) is once a year, even under 40 years old. Over 60 years old as well as if you are over 40 and flying single pilot in a commercial operation, then every 6 months. Being a CFI (flight instructor) is NOT something you absolutely need to do. In fact, it is less common than it was before. I am an airline pilot and didn't do it.
Jul 30, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 12:11 pm
I thought a lot of people got into being commercial pilots by getting experience in the Air Force (getting paid, etc). Is this no longer the case?
Yep, there are 3 ways to get your licenses.

1-Pay for them in a private flight school
2- Aviation college
3- Air force

Most common is aviation college and private flight school tho.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4303 posts
589 upvotes
Latitude57 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 12:55 pm
Yep, there are 3 ways to get your licenses.

1-Pay for them in a private flight school
2- Aviation college
3- Air force

Most common is aviation college and private flight school tho.
so approximately how much $ and how many years in #1 & 2 ?