• Oct 15th, 2017 1:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 23, 2014
16 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON

Pilot

Anyone considering the career as a Pilot. I know there is a lot of skeptics about this as a career path, but how realistic is it to get hired with a major airline after completing PPL and commercial license.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1751 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
NeedforSpeed wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:55 am
Anyone considering the career as a Pilot. I know there is a lot of skeptics about this as a career path, but how realistic is it to get hired with a major airline after completing PPL and commercial license.
You need 1 more licenses to get Airline transport pilot license The Path to ATPL .
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3596 posts
799 upvotes
Debtario
Kinda wondered this as well at some point since I had a childhood fascination with planes, though from what I've seen it comes down to experience - just like any other job. The few people I know who went onto careers in aviation started young and had help/training from family members, except for someone I knew that took commercial aviation management in university. Either way, not a quick/cheap career path to get into, but doable if you're committed. You really gotta love it though, because if you go commercial you'll pretty much be a taxi driver, most likely living out of a suitcase and dealing with seniority taking a decade to move up etc., assuming your airline doesn't fold and leave you starting back from 0.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2380 posts
501 upvotes
Toronto
This topic has been covered so many times. Even quite eeee belt.

Your first step to learning more about this, is figuring out the SEARCH feature in this forum. If you can't figure that out, you can forget about getting any further in this career option!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1136 posts
178 upvotes
My sister in law is a pilot, it is pretty rewarding once you get to a job with a big airline but until then you will get paid nothing while getting the hours you need to qualify for the job. I think it took her 10 years to finally get the hours and she basically lived at home and had to be on call for the private operator she worked for so she couldn't really have another job.
Then after you do get into a big airline you get caught in the seniority trap of being at the bottom of the barrel for shifts.
Alex