Automotive

Pilot Touring 2020 - Electrical Snapping/Cracking Loud Sound?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2020 7:14 pm
Sep 1, 2010
160 posts
25 upvotes
GTA

Pilot Touring 2020 - Electrical Snapping/Cracking Loud Sound?

Hearing this sound from dash of new pilot touring. Some time less sometimes a lot. Not sure if due to cold weather or issue inside some cable connection etc. Any suggestion?

~~UPDATES~~
2019-12:: Brand New Honda Pilot Touring 2020 - strange random snapping/cracking loud sound from the dashboard area, mileage is less than 2,200 KM yet. Hard to trace source.
2020-01-05 :: Sound frequency increased.
2020-01-08 :: Drive during the day to the office but no sound but at night lots of continuous sound (when recorded videos). As sound did not stop so parked SUV.

2020-01-09 ::
~Contacted nearby large Honda dealership (15 min drive) Pickering Honda but they denied to look at it and suggested to take dealer where I bought (1 hr drive). Quite frustrating that how dealership work based on ownerships, not under Honda umbrella.

~Contacted Markham Honda and drove to original dealer who sold this pilot. Sound was loud on driving but after 2-3 min stopped and whole central console/screen dead, no light, not button working and no sound.
~Before parking in dealership make another video with dead lifeless screen while ignition on.
~ after an hour, the dealership told me the screen working fine and they did not find anything. Also told infact it was working fine when they moved suv inside shop.

I wanted to know what they did which activated system and screen.
First I was told none.
When I told I have video just before you took in shop they change narrative and was told me that guy did basic checks and reset software.
Still, they did not acknowledge if they replace any connector or at least re-conned loose cables etc.
They suggested bringing back if the problem appears again.
On driving back home, all good no sound.

2020-01-10 :: On drive to the office, initially no sound. As I changed airflow to the front screen due to fog, one light cracking sound again, and couple of more.
Changed air flow back, then no sound rest of driving.
Last edited by a3dview on Jan 10th, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
53 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Does the sound go away after the cabin is warm?
Jul 24, 2014
211 posts
170 upvotes
Ontario
Strange... I have a 2018 Pilot Touring and don’t have that crackling noise at all. It seems from the video the noise is present even when you don’t have anything playing through the speakers.

Can you determine where the sound is originating from? Maybe the speaker in the center of the dashboard? If it’s coming from the speakers, maybe some wires weren’t installed properly.

I would bring it into the dealership and have them confirm they can replicate, diagnose, and fix the issue since it’s a brand new vehicle.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Sounds like some delicious bacon frying up in there. That sound would make both annoyed and hungry.
Sep 1, 2010
160 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Does the sound go away after the cabin is warm?
I think yes, but I will check again after office. As not driving as precaution.
Nov 13, 2016
171 posts
82 upvotes
Does this apply to all trims or just touring?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
2176 posts
407 upvotes
Mississauga
Remove radio/speaker fuse and check if it's still doing it
Aug 25, 2017
42 posts
33 upvotes
Embrun,Ontario
Honda tech here, bang on your dash... is it duplicated? yes.
don't call, book your vehicle online into the dealership of your choice. Most connections on back of radio causing cracking sound. A cable tie is too tight around the wire on the actual blu ray unit. Cut zip tie and noise is fixed. if dealership says no, called Honda canada customer service complain. Dealership will be forced to call Honda tech line which will then tell them to fix it. Honda fixes problems.....2016-2017 was electromagnetic interference issues. 2018-2019 are most connections. new connectors for communication lines.....

DONT LET YOUR CLOSEST DEALER SAY NO TO YOU. THEY ARE THERE TO SERVE YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE A HONDA. THEY DONT GET TO PICK AND CHOOSE THEIR CUSTOMERS BASED ON WHERE THE VEHICLE WAS PURCHASED. MENTION THAT WHEN YOU CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE. ITS BULLSH**
Sep 1, 2010
160 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
dannymdasilva722474 wrote: Honda tech here, bang on your dash... is it duplicated? yes.
don't call, book your vehicle online into the dealership of your choice. Most connections on back of radio causing cracking sound. A cable tie is too tight around the wire on the actual blu ray unit. Cut zip tie and noise is fixed. if dealership says no, called Honda canada customer service complain. Dealership will be forced to call Honda tech line which will then tell them to fix it. Honda fixes problems.....2016-2017 was electromagnetic interference issues. 2018-2019 are most connections. new connectors for communication lines.....
Thanks for information. I booked again now and will take tomorrow.

As per your suggestion, I did slap or bang test, and see attached video. It does stop completely for some time and later come back. What do you think? So far that is only point (right side of LCD and vent) it stop.

Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2057 posts
885 upvotes
If the sound only happens when your ventilation fan is on, maybe there’s something bouncing around inside the vent tube that needs to be removed.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
a3dview wrote: 2020-01-09 ::
~Contacted nearby large Honda dealership (15 min drive) Pickering Honda but they denied to look at it and suggested to take dealer where I bought (1 hr drive). Quite frustrating that how dealership work based on ownerships, not under Honda umbrella.
If this is the way Honda Canada operates, I will never buy a Honda!

dannymdasilva722474 wrote: Honda tech here, bang on your dash... is it duplicated? yes.

DONT LET YOUR CLOSEST DEALER SAY NO TO YOU. THEY ARE THERE TO SERVE YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE A HONDA. THEY DONT GET TO PICK AND CHOOSE THEIR CUSTOMERS BASED ON WHERE THE VEHICLE WAS PURCHASED. MENTION THAT WHEN YOU CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE. ITS BULLSH**
Thank you for posting!
33 upvotes
Embrun,Ontario
It’s definitely the issue of the zip tie being to tight. It located exactly on the right hand side. Hopefully they figure it out. If they don’t contact Honda Canada customer service as they will ensure our tech line is involved and your vehicle is fixed correctly
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
motomondo wrote: If this is the way Honda Canada operates, I will never buy a Honda!

Thank you for posting!
Not how Honda Canada operates, as dealerships are independently owned and operated.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Nice to know how well Pickering Honda helps people out. They are the closest Honda dealership to me and if they only fix vehicles they sold, I guess I will stick with Toyota. I never had ANY dealeship turn me away for warranty/non warranty work.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
hightech wrote: Nice to know how well Pickering Honda helps people out. They are the closest Honda dealership to me and if they only fix vehicles they sold, I guess I will stick with Toyota. I never had ANY dealeship turn me away for warranty/non warranty work.
Then you better stay away from Brimell Toyota too cause it's the same owner
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2861 posts
274 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Then you better stay away from Brimell Toyota too cause it's the same owner
That's too bad.

My family love Brimell's service since we moved to Canada many years ago.
I post, you decide.
Sep 1, 2010
160 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
Looks dealerships are messing up due to ownerships groupings. Not sure if Hodna is doing anythign to address this.

On actual issue no help yet from Hodna Support or Markham Dealership. Just sending emails yet but they don't reply/call me till I ping them again manytimes. Looks they are wiating from Honda and considring it a low priority issue. While Honda tech were enjoying weekend at home and I can't drive their sold new product and parked.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)