Automotive

Pink auto insurance card goes digital for Ontario drivers

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2019 5:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 22, 2007
6183 posts
1914 upvotes
Brampton

Pink auto insurance card goes digital for Ontario drivers

The days of rummaging through the glove box in a panic could soon be over for drivers who’ve been pulled over by the police and asked to provide their insurance slips.

On Thursday, the Ontario government announced that effective immediately drivers will have the option of displaying proof of their insurance electronically in addition to the traditional paper pink card.

The change is part of the Putting Drivers First blueprint laid out in the 2019 budget.

“Our government has committed to making life easier for Ontario people,” Finance Minister Rod Phillips said in a release. “That is why this government is making auto insurance more convenient by giving drivers the option of showing their proof of auto insurance electronically, so that drivers can access their insurance card in the way that best suits their needs.”

Phillips said the option is already in place in three other Canadian provinces.

There will be a one-year phase-in period, when insurers will have to issue a paper card in addition to the electronic option if it is requested.

Once the one-year period is over, drivers who forgo the slip altogether in favour of the electronic version will have to assure they can properly display their proof of insurance. That means a poor signal, drained battery or shattered smartphone screen won’t be a valid excuse.

Phillips said the electronic cards will feature safeguards that won’t allow them to be altered or edited, and privacy concerns are top of mind.

The Insurance Bureau of Canada said consumers have digital options in other sectors such as banking and retail, so auto insurers are pleased their customers will have the same choice.

https://www.680news.com/2019/09/05/onta ... d-digital/
48 replies
Newbie
Feb 7, 2017
72 posts
65 upvotes
Still need a hardcopy of ownership so this really solves nothing...
I'd rather pass three documents out of my wallet (license, ownership, insurance) instead of passing 2 and then turning on my phone, navigating to an app, opening it, showing the officer in the middle of the day where he can't see the screen... Like what's the actual point. This is for people that don't keep updated records in their car/wallet
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
17890 posts
1865 upvotes
Woodbridge
I just show them the Ownership. The other two I memorized. lol

One time I said, joking of course, "if this isn't accurate you can arrest me officer." I forgot my wallet in my other car.

He was actually impressed and let me off, after he checked it out.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
52096 posts
16777 upvotes
If all I'm saving having to lug around in my wallet is the pink slip, then it doesn't really do any good because of the negligible weight and space it takes.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
52096 posts
16777 upvotes
bembol wrote: I just show them the Ownership. The other two I memorized. lol

One time I said, joking of course, "if this isn't accurate you can arrest me officer." I forgot my wallet in my other car.

He was actually impressed and let me off, after he checked it out.
How many times have you gotten pulled over? Even for drunk driving tests at night, they usually only want to smell evidence of alcohol.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 14, 2007
524 posts
165 upvotes
GTA North
MoxGoat wrote: Still need a hardcopy of ownership so this really solves nothing...
I'd rather pass three documents out of my wallet (license, ownership, insurance) instead of passing 2 and then turning on my phone, navigating to an app, opening it, showing the officer in the middle of the day where he can't see the screen... Like what's the actual point. This is for people that don't keep updated records in their car/wallet
Plus if my wife of one of my kids is driving the vehicle without me how do they access the slip? Just give the me paper please.

This also just came to me: Handing over your phone could give the officer the ability to search it since you voluntarily provided it
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1026 posts
588 upvotes
Toronto
MoxGoat wrote: Still need a hardcopy of ownership so this really solves nothing...
I'd rather pass three documents out of my wallet (license, ownership, insurance) instead of passing 2 and then turning on my phone, navigating to an app, opening it, showing the officer in the middle of the day where he can't see the screen... Like what's the actual point. This is for people that don't keep updated records in their car/wallet
Pretty much this...guess it would help those cases where people didn't have the insurance slip in their car and get fined and have to go to court to drop it because they actually are insured.

Meh...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 22, 2007
6183 posts
1914 upvotes
Brampton
MoxGoat wrote: Still need a hardcopy of ownership so this really solves nothing...
I'd rather pass three documents out of my wallet (license, ownership, insurance) instead of passing 2 and then turning on my phone, navigating to an app, opening it, showing the officer in the middle of the day where he can't see the screen... Like what's the actual point. This is for people that don't keep updated records in their car/wallet
Huh ?

As of today you can just show the digital copy (i took a picture) along with ownership .. leave the hard copy at home ..

1 yr transition period is for insurance companies to move away from hard copies ..
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1038 posts
221 upvotes
ontario
ontario has 8.7 million registered cars
add trailers and boats and offroad vehicles that need insurance that is a lot of paper

and even if you have just 1 insured item they send you a blank slip underneath - just a total waste of ink and paper

im glad they are doing this because everyone has their phone on them 24/7 and im sure apple will make it easily accessible in the wallet
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
52096 posts
16777 upvotes
Mayoo wrote: Huh ?

As of today you can just show the digital copy (i took a picture) along with ownership .. leave the hard copy at home ..

1 yr transition period is for insurance companies to move away from hard copies ..
So during phase-in, any digital copy will do?

Phillips said the electronic cards will feature safeguards that won’t allow them to be altered or edited, and privacy concerns are top of mind.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 22, 2007
6183 posts
1914 upvotes
Brampton
alanbrenton wrote: So during phase-in, any digital copy will do?

Phillips said the electronic cards will feature safeguards that won’t allow them to be altered or edited, and privacy concerns are top of mind.
Thats how i am reading it ..
Newbie
Feb 24, 2018
18 posts
7 upvotes
what about driving licence.
Is it ok to keep electronic copy only?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
6776 posts
3194 upvotes
Alberta
IMHIP2 wrote: Plus if my wife of one of my kids is driving the vehicle without me how do they access the slip? Just give the me paper please.

This also just came to me: Handing over your phone could give the officer the ability to search it since you voluntarily provided it
This^^^^. Even though I don't have anything to hide.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
13404 posts
13796 upvotes
Oakville
jackrabbit000 wrote: This^^^^. Even though I don't have anything to hide.
Came here to say the same. Never a good idea to hand your unlocked phone to law enforcement.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
14400 posts
3380 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote: Came here to say the same. Never a good idea to hand your unlocked phone to law enforcement.
Yup. Usually the officer takes your drivers license and pink slip and go to their car. Are they going to take your phone to their car too?
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro

Top