Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Piranha Mobile

Piranha Mobile World SIM card

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2022 10:10 am
Nov 28, 2003
5 posts
Toronto
46jimbo wrote:
By the way, now that I'm settled into my little hotel on the beach for a month, I've acquired a Telcel SIM. For around $11 a month, you get 1.5 gb of data plus unlimited sms and talk for Mexico, the U.S. and Canada.

Check out the sticky thread in the Cell Phones forum on the many solutions for travel Sims.
Is that unlimited sms/talk (to US/Mexican/Canadian phone numbers) while using the SIM card in Mexico?

Is that SIM card also usable when outside Mexico (while in the US, Canada)?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
matriarka wrote: Is that unlimited sms/talk (to US/Mexican/Canadian phone numbers) while using the SIM card in Mexico?

Is that SIM card also usable when outside Mexico (while in the US, Canada)?
Yes, calling is unlimited, but I've heard of people being cut off for over doing it.

Yes, it works back in Canada, but you can't use it as a permanent service outside of Mexico or you will eventually be cut off.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I must say, I'm not impressed with Piranha. I've tried to use it in Austria during the past few days and it sucks. Big time.

Piranha roams on the A1 network. A1 is Austria's largest network with the best coverage. I've been using a A1 SIM while visiting in Austria for several years now. But with Piranha connections drop constantly, even midway through a download and even when the phone is stationary. This in areas where the A1 SIM is rock solid. Never mind that A1 SIM is 4G while Piranha is a slow by today's standards 3G.

Meanwhile GiffGaff also roams nicely in Austria at 4G. It's on the T-Mobile network. That seems as good as A1 to me, even in the more remote parts of the country. Likewise with Google Fi which also roams on T-Mobile at 4G.

Granted GiffGaff costs somewhat more and roams only in the EU. And Google Fi costs significantly more but roams in more countries than Piranha. But if you need reliability while travelling (and who doesn't?) then the extra cost is well worth it. At least in my opinion.

My Piranha SIM still has some US$18 on it. I consider that a dead loss or the price of experimentation. YMMV.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
I used to have freedompop but you had to stay on top of it to make sure it stayed active and there wasn't any "accidental" billing errors. Then it seemed like they discontinued the freedom friends feature (bonus data for each friend) which made the service pretty much useless.

This sim and service looks interesting to try for light and occasional use. But take a look at their address on Broomfield Ave, it's just a street of townhouses.
Oct 27, 2011
53 posts
58 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Bringing a old thread back from the depths. Looks like they have reduced their USA rates. (USD Funds)

$0.01 Per a MB
$0.01 Per a outgoing call
$0.01 Per a outgoing text
$0.00 (Free incoming calls)

Prices are quoted for AT&T () Network.

I Would say this is reasonable for everything except heavy data usage. That's approx $10.24USD per GB.

Only problem I have found is call formatting. Must include country code for all calls local or otherwise. +1 area code then 7 digit local number, +1 (000)-000-0000.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
turbosix wrote: I Would say this is reasonable for everything except heavy data usage. That's approx $10.24USD per GB.
Yabbut's that's still at 3G, right?

By contrast Google Fi charges US$10/GB plus ~US$0.65/day. That's a bit more but it's for 4G service (on T-Mobile.) And it's the same rate that they charge for roaming data just about anywhere on the planet.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bridonca wrote: For low use, low data, low call volume, purposes, this SIM card might be worth considering, here and other parts of the world. There is no monthly fee for this SIM card, and the expiry is 420 days after last use.

The Piranha Mobile SIM card will cost you under $5. Use the SIM card in Canada, the rates are about 8 cents a megabyte for data, about 20 cents a minute for incoming calls, and about 47 cents a minute for outgoing calls. There is a free UK number, but you can get also get a Canadian or US number for around 66 cents a month. As usual, rates are cheaper when in other countries

In Canada, Piranha Mobile uses the Bell and Telus network.

There are still carriers in Canada that charge $10 for 100 MB, with ridiculous maintenance fees added to that! Piranha Mobile charges $8 per 100 MB, and bills by the kilobyte!
bylo wrote: Yabbut's that's still at 3G, right?

By contrast Google Fi charges US$10/GB plus ~US$0.65/day. That's a bit more but it's for 4G service (on T-Mobile.) And it's the same rate that they charge for roaming data just about anywhere on the planet.
@bridonca 's post is over a year old. Sometimes it's worth resurrecting an old thread just to contrast then and now.

I just used my Piranha SIM in order to keep the account and my balance alive. Some interesting changes on Piranha's site:

1. It seems that they now roam at 4G on most networks. Previously it was 3G only.(*)
2. Roaming rates are down substantially. Canada and US are 2¢/MB data ($20/GB), 10¢/min outgoing calls, 0¢/min incoming calls and 4¢ per text.
3. In Canada roaming is on all 4 major telcos. In the US it's on AT&T and T-Mobile.
4. In EU data is generally also 2¢/MB and less than NA for calls and texts.
5. In Asia data is sometimes higher, 4¢ to 6¢/MB (but I only checked a few countries like AU, NZ, HK, CN.)

I tried data in Canada. The SIM quickly connected to Bhell at 4G.

At these new rates and with 4G data, this SIM is now really worth considering for international travel as well as for light use in Canada and US. Of course with COVID-19 travel restrictions I won't be able to check out how well the SIM now works outside of Canada.

(*)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 14, 2008
229 posts
34 upvotes
It's free unlimited incoming call & incoming SMS,outgoing call 0.2 per minutes . 0.04 per MB. Good signal as you can choose on Bell or Telus network.
May 25, 2011
15 posts
NORTH YORK
Has anyone else had extreme issues sending texts and calls in the last several months? When I originally signed up in June of this year everything worked fine but since at least August the majority of texts are either delayed by hours or do not get received at all, and calls to certain numbers do not work at all.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
thrillhaus wrote: Has anyone else had extreme issues sending texts and calls in the last several months? When I originally signed up in June of this year everything worked fine but since at least August the majority of texts are either delayed by hours or do not get received at all, and calls to certain numbers do not work at all.
See Nov 4th, 2021 3:42 pm#113 in the other thread. Something's rotten in the state of DenmarkPiranha.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
4205 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
When eta they get oos fixed? Is this the first time it happens? Thx

Can someone update the first post about no stock?
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4017 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
kocoman wrote: When eta they get oos fixed? Is this the first time it happens? Thx

Can someone update the first post about no stock?
Just going to wait if they go under, or get their act together. I think they are going to go under myself.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)