Tags:
[OP]
Aug 5, 2015
481 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Pissed off at Best Buy...

Dear folks,

I was wondering was were your thoughts on this. I recently purchased a laptop *online* and went to return it in store the same day (it was for gift but someone beat me to it!). Believe it or not, we found out that the laptop they sent me was NOT the one I ordered, the one they sent me was worth *half* the price. The seal and everything was on the package so they knew Best Buy made a mistake.

Now, the "manager" gave me a speech that he could not refund me because there would be a "loss" in his system and he could not explain to his bosses... so he basically sent me home with my box, asking me to wait for a shipping label by email and send it back to Best Buy... which means, I still have the $920 on my credit card which I'll have to pay, until the amount is credited by Best Buy online.

Has anyone ever had such a problem? Am I naive into thinking the manager should have handled the situation personally, refund me the total amount and deal with Best Buy Online himself to "switch" laptops so that inventories and accounts match?

I really doubt Costco would have made me do the same thing for an error *they* commited.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
45 replies
Mar 7, 2011
522 posts
220 upvotes
Winnipeg
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/help/retur ... ges-policy

Go back and complain. As to speak to the GM.

It is apparently their policy to accept returns in store....and it certainly isnt your fault they messed up and sent the wrong thing...they should absolutely be the ones fixing the issue regardless of where it happens.

Tell them you also expect compensation for being lied to and having your time further wasted. ( or call into their support and do the same, file a complaint against that manager )

....so long as it was a BEST BUY item and not one of their ridiculous market place items.

Overall BestBuy has been among the best to me to be honest. I have got credit for shipping issues and their support by phone and email is quite good. Better than Amazon easily.

Return In-Store

You may return any item purchased:

Online (excluding Best Buy Marketplace products)

In-Store (including Reserve and Pick Up orders)

What to bring:

Your original receipt
Original method of payment
Original packaging
Valid photo ID

The whole showing a loss in their system is absolute BS, that is regardless neither here nor there....its not your fault and of course he could absolutely have explained the "loss" its his damn job to work for BestBuy.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Dec 7th, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Foul language
[OP]
Aug 5, 2015
481 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks! I guess I lost enough time already with this and will ship the laptop back tomorrow, but I'm definitely going to complain. I know what the manager told me is BS. He could have refunded me and dealt with the problem himself. He was blaming "Best Buy Online", so they're two companies now? I told him the customer (me) was paying the price for Best Buy's error. There was "nothing he could do" but he was nice and asked them to send me a shipping notice by email. Wow, thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8784 posts
617 upvotes
Try again at a different store. Contact Best Buy.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
[OP]
Aug 5, 2015
481 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:50 pm
Why not try returning it at a different store.
When you have no car and you depend on public transport, life sucks.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2015
481 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC
aquariaguy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:52 pm
Try again at a different store. Contact Best Buy.
What does "Contact Best Buy" mean? I tried calling their number and there is no option for complaints or no "0" to talk to someone.

EDIT: I contacted them through the online order page and explained my complaint. I don't think there's much more I can do with the limited free time I've got.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5209 posts
1025 upvotes
BC
To provide some balance to this discussion ....

not sure about the comparison to Costco. They have in their mission statement words about "taking care of their members".

BestBuy's mission is simply to be a growth company by meeting the product needs of its customers at the right price.

You have to agree that because of the online unit's error this was not a run-of-the-mill store return.

If the BestBuy store manager you spoke with was one who eagerly embraced problem solving the outcome could have been different.

As it was, you encountered one who didn't have will or knowledge to assume ownership of the error and do whatever was necessary to resolve it.

Maybe he wasn't convinced that the sealed box you presented was the one that was shipped to you earlier that day? Can we agree that some customers are not beyond committing fraud?

Is this a reason to be pissed at the entire BestBuy entity? Well maybe, if two parts of the organization have not met your expectations.

It is certainly unfortunate that BestBuy sent you the wrong product, and is it possible you might not have realized this in time had the gifting purpose still been a go?

You may not agree, but I would dismiss it as one of the disadvantages of online shopping and move on. Granted, a large amount to carry on your credit card for no real purpose, but crap happens sometimes.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2015
481 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC
macnut wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:41 pm
It is certainly unfortunate that BestBuy sent you the wrong product, and is it possible you might not have realized this in time had the gifting purpose still been a go?

You may not agree, but I would dismiss it as one of the disadvantages of online shopping and move on. Granted, a large amount to carry on your credit card for no real purpose, but crap happens sometimes.
Yes, imagine *if* I kept the item and only realized it was the wrong computer around Christmas, *after* opening the shipping box? I think I've got a big purchase history enough that they would not suspect me to try to cheat them for a few hundreds (heck, I've waiting for a $2200 TV from Best Buy right now!) but still, would be a very uncomfortable situation.

You're right though, I left a Twitter and sent them a message, but I've done enough. Have to move on, ship the item back and hope that it will be refunded without further problems...
[OP]
Aug 5, 2015
481 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC
As a side note, let's say I tried to return the laptop and we realized they made a mistake and sent me some Macbook Pro worth $2000+... I wonder if I'd told the first employee that "I changed my mind" about the return, if he would have allowed me to leave with the laptop.

From now on, I will *always* double check the actual item I receive before returning it :twisted:
May 23, 2014
642 posts
279 upvotes
canada
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:57 pm
Dear folks,

I was wondering was were your thoughts on this. I recently purchased a laptop *online* and went to return it in store the same day (it was for gift but someone beat me to it!). Believe it or not, we found out that the laptop they sent me was NOT the one I ordered, the one they sent me was worth *half* the price. The seal and everything was on the package so they knew Best Buy made a mistake.

Now, the "manager" gave me a speech that he could not refund me because there would be a "loss" in his system and he could not explain to his bosses... so he basically sent me home with my box, asking me to wait for a shipping label by email and send it back to Best Buy... which means, I still have the $920 on my credit card which I'll have to pay, until the amount is credited by Best Buy online.

Has anyone ever had such a problem? Am I naive into thinking the manager should have handled the situation personally, refund me the total amount and deal with Best Buy Online himself to "switch" laptops so that inventories and accounts match?

I really doubt Costco would have made me do the same thing for an error *they* commited.
he bullied you, post the location here. This wouldn't happen to me in 190 years, I'd say he's gotten away with this RIDICULOUS behavior in the past and thought you were a sheep, judging by your appearance. At the very least I'd expect you to call customer service right there on speaker. Some people really really hate confrontation or shall I say taking a stand for themselves. You can easily have his a$s written up
Last edited by thesick on Dec 7th, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2015
481 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC
thesick wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:57 pm
he bullied you, post the location here. This wouldn't happen to me in 190 years, I'd say he's gotten away with this RIDICULOUS behavior in the past and thought you were a sheep, judging by your appearance.
That's downtown Montreal. I was a sheep all right!
Jan 15, 2017
701 posts
466 upvotes
The argument that the manager presented was correct in some detail. It is true that if he accepted the return of the computer, it would have been added to the inventory level. The problem is that the return would have added a different computer to the system than was received. This would have caused an error in the stock count and an increase in the store's shrink. The shrink is one measure that the manager is held accountable for.

And while this is true, there is no doubt that the manager provided very poor customer service. There was no reason whatsoever to even explain this stock count error to the customer. A simple return would have satisfied the customer and then the manager simply removing the stock item as an incorrect item and/or defective (whatever process BB has in place for such items) would have returned the stock count back to normal levels. Then the manager could have completed a store transfer and shipped the problem back to the online section. Problem solved.

I don't know why the manager stated that he would not have been able to explain this to his boss. Every retail store has procedures in place to deal with issues that may cause shrink. Items get damaged and cannot be sold, items get stolen with empty packages left behind and errors can be made at the POS that need to be captured and corrected after the fact. And sometimes, incorrect items are shipped out and you have to accept returns without the correct paperwork or product.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2015
481 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm usually much more of a fighter than this, but I was very tired after a long day at work and didn't feel like going to war at the store. But yeah, I should have called Best Buy *from* the store and explain the situation, I'm sure I could have got someone at headquarters make him do the darn transaction.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4807 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
skeet50 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:13 pm

And while this is true, there is no doubt that the manager provided very poor customer service. There was no reason whatsoever to even explain this stock count error to the customer. A simple return would have satisfied the customer and then the manager simply removing the stock item as an incorrect item and/or defective (whatever process BB has in place for such items) would have returned the stock count back to normal levels. Then the manager could have completed a store transfer and shipped the problem back to the online section. Problem solved.
The problem is the "fraud" possibility. The manager brought all that inventory explanation up to avoid bringing up "fraud" and possibly insulting an honest customer. Then the outcome of the return denial could have got ugly fast, and OP being a little more than "pissed off".

I'm convinced the manager didn't know how to resolve this dispute on the spot as I doubt there is any protocol to this situation. There would likely need to be an investigation with a few key people involved.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.