• Dec 15th, 2017 8:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1405 posts
762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
That would have been the fraud of the century because the shipping box was custom made for this laptop. and seal not broken... so you'd need to replace with a exact same size laptop box... Also, if I were to defraud Best Buy after years of being a customer with much bigger purchases, I would have chosen something quite more expensive. A simple check at my Best Buy history etc could have shown there was definitely no fraud involved, so really doubt that's what the manager was thinking... but who knows.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1962 posts
1378 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:34 am
The problem is the "fraud" possibility. The manager brought all that inventory explanation up to avoid bringing up "fraud" and possibly insulting an honest customer. Then the outcome of the return denial could have got ugly fast, and OP being a little more than "pissed off".

I'm convinced the manager didn't know how to resolve this dispute on the spot as I doubt there is any protocol to this situation. There would likely need to be an investigation with a few key people involved.
What fraud issue? The incorrect computer wasn't discovered until the box was opened by Best Buy staff in the store. This was a shipping error. The incorrect item was shipped to the customer by Best Buy. Any company that ships items or sells items has procedures in place to deal with situations like this. No investigation would be needed - just a charge back to the vendor.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1405 posts
762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
skeet50 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:10 am
What fraud issue? The incorrect computer wasn't discovered until the box was opened by Best Buy staff in the store. This was a shipping error. The incorrect item was shipped to the customer by Best Buy. Any company that ships items or sells items has procedures in place to deal with situations like this. No investigation would be needed - just a charge back to the vendor.
The shipping box was not even opened. They are using special shipping boxes that leave the SCAN part and product label from the computer box available, and the rest of it covered. So the seal was still on the box when I shipped it back to Best Buy this morning. The reason I'm still angry is because what's going to happen now when Best Buy receives the package? They will scan the item and it won't match my order... so I'll have to go through all of this again, phone calls after phone calls, until I get my refund? That's why it should have been dealt with directly in store. I definitely should have called headquarters from the store.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9786 posts
3878 upvotes
Brampton
Just call your Credit card company and start a charge back, the lesson is you've wasted enough time (You tried being reasonable, you tried to work with them and their process.) and you should treat BB the same way you treat an ebay scammer. You've done as much as you can with in reason.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1405 posts
762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
tebore wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:29 am
Just call your Credit card company and start a charge back, the lesson is you've wasted enough time (You tried being reasonable, you tried to work with them and their process.) and you should treat BB the same way you treat an ebay scammer. You've done as much as you can with in reason.
Yeah, I'll wait until Wednesday next week and if they still have not refunded me or contacted me, I'll call my credit card and declare this as a fraud, because frankly, I received the wrong item and store didn't want to fix the problem.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2790 posts
413 upvotes
Next time, try to take "unboxing pictures" show them the tracking number and product as you open the box. Microsoft did the samething to me they shipped me a laptop with different cpu, when I went to store to return they told its different specs. Lucky I was able to proof to them they made an mistake and they even scanned the mac address of the machine as a serial number...(when trying to return instore) the actual online invoice had to mention of serials, just product code, price and method of payment. I am sometimes too much,, and took pictures of opening the box for my personal memories, but this really paid off in the end. Otherwise I would have been out of a few $$$. You can actually look up on google of people complain they purchase an machine and got a different I7 processor. Most people dont even notice, because nobody even opens the CPUZ to see the exact cpu.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2790 posts
413 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
This is very possible, its was black friday sales/cyber monday, crazy volume going out, boom boom get the stuff shipped and its very easy to put in the wrong machine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1405 posts
762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
EEE2 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:35 am
Next time, try to take "unboxing pictures" show them the tracking number and product as you open the box. Microsoft did the samething to me they shipped me a laptop with different cpu, when I went to store to return they told its different specs. Lucky I was able to proof to them they made an mistake and they even scanned the mac address of the machine as a serial number...(when trying to return instore) the actual online invoice had to mention of serials, just product code, price and method of payment. I am sometimes too much,, and took pictures of opening the box for my personal memories, but this really paid off in the end. Otherwise I would have been out of a few $$$. You can actually look up on google of people complain they purchase an machine and got a different I7 processor. Most people dont even notice, because nobody even opens the CPUZ to see the exact cpu.
But I did not even unbox the item, how could I take unboxing picture? It was a direct return, shipping box untouched.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1405 posts
762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
EEE2 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:37 am
This is very possible, its was black friday sales/cyber monday, crazy volume going out, boom boom get the stuff shipped and its very easy to put in the wrong machine.
The funny thing is, this laptop was not even a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal... just a simple deal I saw *this week* on Tuesday. Received the item yestersay, tried to return it right away when I found out someone already purchased a laptop for the person I wanted to buy the gift for.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2790 posts
413 upvotes
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:38 am
But I did not even unbox the item, how could I take unboxing picture? It was a direct return, shipping box untouched.
In this case, you really have the contact someone higherup at best buy. They ussualy put the shipping label directly on the laptop packaging. If the info matches, eg tracking, serial order number and so on theres nothing they can say about not accepting your returns. Theres no way to fake a waybill. Its trackable online and so on, so therefore it just have come from bestbuy so therefore it must be their mistake. You need to find a bit more aggressive and demand to see a higher up manager, alot of times you get regular joes being called to customer service and "Acting" as a managerial role. I am feeling the pain this caused to the OP, I hope bestbuy will stand and respect their customer and fix this mistake asap.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2790 posts
413 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:29 am
@tebore are chargebacks usually painless? Can you provide some guidance to the OP on the process of doing this?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1405 posts
762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
EEE2 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:37 am
@tebore are chargebacks usually painless? Can you provide some guidance to the OP on the process of doing this?
Thanks for your input! Since I work in the credit card industry (online payment), I know very well how to initiate a chargeback, but thanks anyway :-) I know my bank will stand by me, with the long history I have with them, but getting a chargeback might take a while so I'll go the refund route first.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1405 posts
762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Here's a pic of the box I took yesterday, as you can see there's a open space on the shipping box for the product label, and seals all around.

Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1962 posts
1378 upvotes
willy0275 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:21 am
The shipping box was not even opened. They are using special shipping boxes that leave the SCAN part and product label from the computer box available, and the rest of it covered. So the seal was still on the box when I shipped it back to Best Buy this morning. The reason I'm still angry is because what's going to happen now when Best Buy receives the package? They will scan the item and it won't match my order... so I'll have to go through all of this again, phone calls after phone calls, until I get my refund? That's why it should have been dealt with directly in store. I definitely should have called headquarters from the store.
Thanks for the clarification. There was no reason why the local store could not have handled the return. The manager just decided to pass the buck back to the online entity.

Many retailers have set up their online entities to essentially cannibalize their B&M stores. B&M stores are evaluated on their net sales. Returns go against their sales. In some cases, even returns from the online site goes against the B&M store sales. Many managers don't see this as fair, especially when you have many customers who order items that they plan to return to the B&M store simply to meet the sales threshold for free shipping. The result is that the managers try and discourage online returns. My guess is that is what happened to you - especially since in your case the manager couldn't simply resale the item.

Again, poor service.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5328 posts
771 upvotes
Toronto
skeet50 wrote:
I stand corrected as I misread they opened the package.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.