• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 8:24 pm
Tags:
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
skeet50 wrote: Thanks for the clarification. There was no reason why the local store could not have handled the return. The manager just decided to pass the buck back to the online entity.

Many retailers have set up their online entities to essentially cannibalize their B&M stores. B&M stores are evaluated on their net sales. Returns go against their sales. In some cases, even returns from the online site goes against the B&M store sales. Many managers don't see this as fair, especially when you have many customers who order items that they plan to return to the B&M store simply to meet the sales threshold for free shipping. The result is that the managers try and discourage online returns. My guess is that is what happened to you - especially since in your case the manager couldn't simply resale the item.

Again, poor service.
After going through a pretty much identical feud with best buy 7 or 8 years ago this is exactly it. In my case I brought the district manager into the mix and I had a long 'off the record' chat with him about this very problem.

He explained that online returns in stores increases their product return %, inventory turnover % and decreases their net sale %. Those are 3 of the metrics the store managers' annual bonuses are based on. It's in their own best personal interest to deny deny deny anything with a high dollar amount hoping you drive to the next store and plead your case with that manager.

The district manager said it happens all the time and as soon as they get the threat from him they'll take it back.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
4212 posts
5052 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Well, the story is ending and Best Buy online refunded the total amount... but I will have a negative balance of $920 on my credit card as the statement was just issued without the refund... so next step is to find out how I can get that money back, either cash advance (which can lead to fees) or hopefully a cheque or money transfer from the credit card bank. Thank you Best Buy Downtown Montreal "manager" !
Happy Koodo Public Mobile and Videotron Fizz customer :-)
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
A lot of people shop online now, I've noticed a trend that online might be handle by people from different department that don't work at the store.

Be a responsible customer and let the online store people know they made a mistake. If they are so prone to making mistakes like this customer might stop shopping online.

There could be theft internally. Do something, if the store refuse to help.

It's the holidays right now. Lots of people doing last minute shopping online waiting for the best deal and not planning ahead. Mistake could happen.

Online shopping is not that complicated. It's just back to catalogue shopping because people no longer enjoy going to a brick and motor store which I don't understand.

Sorry about the rant.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
thesick wrote: he bullied you, post the location here. This wouldn't happen to me in 190 years, I'd say he's gotten away with this RIDICULOUS behavior in the past and thought you were a sheep, judging by your appearance. At the very least I'd expect you to call customer service right there on speaker. Some people really really hate confrontation or shall I say taking a stand for themselves. You can easily have his a$s written up
about 3 years back, I escalated my complain to the headquarters customer relations director - at least that was what I had been told, the only thing I got was "we are truly sorry for your inconvenience..." blah blah usual BS talk, you know it. I will not say I will never buy anything from them but chances are very slim. because BB rarely have truly hot deals, by this I mean, i have passed the age getting all excited saving 50 or 100 on a camera or phone etc if it's not straight forward deal and you have to go through the loops to get it done. I will just buy it down south or forget about that deal.

more than 10 years ago, people have labelled 4 worse stores (for electronics):BB,FS,Radioshack (now the source), not sure about the fourth one, Staples? maybe even more so today.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1273 posts
873 upvotes
canada
forgetpwd wrote: about 3 years back, I escalated my complain to the headquarters customer relations director - at least that was what I had been told, the only thing I got was "we are truly sorry for your inconvenience..." blah blah usual BS talk, you know it. I will not say I will never buy anything from them but chances are very slim. because BB rarely have truly hot deals, by this I mean, i have passed the age getting all excited saving 50 or 100 on a camera or phone etc if it's not straight forward deal and you have to go through the loops to get it done. I will just buy it down south or forget about that deal.

more than 10 years ago, people have labelled 4 worse stores (for electronics):BB,FS,Radioshack (now the source), not sure about the fourth one, Staples? maybe even more so today.

All I was sayn is DEAL with issues as they happen live not after. Op got bulldozed over lol. As for issue no idea what happened backstory.