Cell Phones

Pixel 2 or Iphone X - What is better to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2017 8:03 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24790 posts
2551 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
johnmoon wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 5:51 pm
I like Android cause it works better for me but doesn't mean its better, it really isnt.
I'm with you. I switched from an iPhone 7 Plus to a Pixel XL. They're both crap in my opinion, but Android is better suited for me.

However, I still use an iPad because the apps just works better on iOS. The Cisco VPN software doesn't connect properly on my Android, but works fine in iOS
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2962 posts
203 upvotes
OP, take the most important hamdful of things you do with the phone, if it does that nicely without trouble, buy it.
Example:
1. AI stuff that tracks your your everything with crazy good integration with emails...
2. Best pictures and videos
3. Home screen layout
4. Performance that lasts over the first few months of usage without reset
5. OS updates
6. Quality of your main apps
7. Quality of secondary apps you use once a year
8. Gimmicks like ARKit, ARcore
9. Screen quality
10. How does the value hold after a year

That’s more than a handful but you get the point, forget geekbench scores... at least until Apple decides to do something crazy like docking the phone and running OSX on it. If it’s just going to be running iOS as it is, the advantage over snapdragons is mostly useless cause both SOCs do phone stuff just fine.

Keep one thing in mind about phone values, iPhones used to hold their value really well, that was before Apple decided to throw out a full line up of iPhones vs just a couple in the past. While this opens up iOS to more wallets, I’m not sure the phones will continue to hold value as well in the top end. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Cheers,
Dec 28, 2015
371 posts
105 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Depends if apple manages to fix their camera issues and catch up, if they do, it's a software choice though Google will have better AI and more function due to their huge lead in machine learning

These are some pixel2 unedited pics...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdcvpsQtnE5iBALt2
Jul 30, 2017
70 posts
13 upvotes
I wouldn't go with the Pixel 2 for an Android phone. I think that the Note 8, S8/S8+ and LG V30 (assuming it gets a Canadian release) are all superior options to the Pixel because they all have the following stuff that the Pixel lacks.
(1) Superior screens and better looking more bezel-less designs
(2) Wireless charging
(3) Better water proofing - IP67 vs IP68
(4) SD card slots - this lets you get off just fine with a 64 GB phone, because you don't need your pictures, etc. on internal storage. With phones without an SD card slot like the Pixel and iPhones, you may well need to pay +$250 for the 256 GB version
(5) Dual camera setup (at least except the S8)
(6) Headphone jack

The Note 8 is going to be about the same price as the 256 GB Pixel 2 XL. The LG V30 will probably be $200+ cheaper, and you can get the S8+ for $300+ cheaper (for example on Amazon, etc.). With the Pixel, you're paying up to $300+ more for generally inferior hardware features/specs and an uglier device, so I see it as a poor value proposition. The only real advantage with the Pixel is faster Android updates, but it's still a less feature rich design than Samsung/LG phones, which add a lot of bonus software options to base Android. For example, while the Pixel camera is highly rated, the camera software has far less options to play with than the Samsung or LG phones. Plus, you can just put Nova Launcher on all Android phones and get a similar software experience.

As far as the iPhone X, you just have to decide whether you want iOS or Android - that decision is more important than the actual phone selection.
- If you're invested into stuff like the Apple Watch, etc., it's probably a bad idea to go with an Android phone.
- Android gives you much more extensive options for customization. If you're used to Android and love fiddling and personalizing your phone setup, iOS will feel stale and drive you nuts.
- IPhones generally have much broader accessory availability. You're likely to have limited local availability on stuff like battery cases with Android phones - or at least with anything but Samsung Android phones.
- Some people can not live without iMessage
- Apple support is generally much better than support from Android manufacturers, given the large distribution of Apple stores, and fact you can just walk into them and get help.
- Apple phones hold their resale value significantly better than Android phones.
- iPhones tend to be behind top Android flagships in terms of hardware design and often implement features only several generations after they are available on Android, so they can feel somewhat outdated compared to Samsung's latest.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1355 posts
361 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jdh799 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 8:18 am
I wouldn't go with the Pixel 2 for an Android phone. I think that the Note 8, S8/S8+ and LG V30 (assuming it gets a Canadian release) are all superior options to the Pixel because they all have the following stuff that the Pixel lacks...
Well said! I'd add that there are other awesome Android flagship options such as Motorola, OnePlus, HTC, etc. who also offer powerful devices for much cheaper than Samsung & LG. Mind you, Android flagship phones in-market can be affordable on a Koodo sale.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Jul 30, 2017
70 posts
13 upvotes
Yeah, the HTC U11 is actually a decent deal now that they cut the price down to $750 (it was $950 before, which just doesn't make sense when you can get an S8 for that cost). I think if you want to spend in the $700ish range for a phone, it's between the U11 and the OnePlus 5. The problem with both phones for many people is that they don't have carrier deals, and are only available directly from the manufacturers as unlocked devices, so they won't be accessible if you don't want to buy them up front.

As far as Motorola, their flagship Moto Z2 really isn't competitively priced, and is also not available in Canada (at least yet). I do think Motorola is probably the best bet if you want to spend in the $400-$500 range for a phone, as you can get phones like the Moto G4 and Moto Z Play on Amazon within that price range, and they are very solid devices spec and battery life wise.
Dec 16, 2015
618 posts
212 upvotes
Canada
taro-chan wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 6:52 pm
I disagree with you.

I am using a S8 and a SE right now. For day to day tasks, I find iOS takes a lot more steps to get thinks done. Things just aren't streamlined nor customizable. I don't want to stare at rows and rows of apps
Swipe down and type for apps instead of homescreen. Gestures for navigation instead of buttons. 3D Touch for previewing contents without losing context, shortcuts, and cursor when typing. And ofcourse, multitasking switcher and assistive touch.

When you know how to use these properly, iOS is a work monster with absolutely no lag.
Dec 28, 2015
371 posts
105 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Redsanta wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 12:19 am
Swipe down and type for apps instead of homescreen. Gestures for navigation instead of buttons. 3D Touch for previewing contents without losing context, shortcuts, and cursor when typing. And ofcourse, multitasking switcher and assistive touch.

When you know how to use these properly, iOS is a work monster with absolutely no lag.
I can't even attach a PDF and other file formats in an email..is there a workaround now?

How do I have a download PDF open and then send it to my iOS email in one step if at all?

iOS is useless for work, that's why companies don't use ipsds anymore and have switched to surface
Last edited by MrWhiteCoffee on Oct 9th, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 28, 2015
371 posts
105 upvotes
Westmount, QC
jdh799 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 8:18 am
I wouldn't go with the Pixel 2 for an Android phone. I think that the Note 8, S8/S8+ and LG V30 (assuming it gets a Canadian release) are all superior options to the Pixel because they all have the following stuff that the Pixel lacks.
(1) Superior screens and better looking more bezel-less designs
(2) Wireless charging
(3) Better water proofing - IP67 vs IP68
(4) SD card slots - this lets you get off just fine with a 64 GB phone, because you don't need your pictures, etc. on internal storage. With phones without an SD card slot like the Pixel and iPhones, you may well need to pay +$250 for the 256 GB version
(5) Dual camera setup (at least except the S8)
(6) Headphone jack

The Note 8 is going to be about the same price as the 256 GB Pixel 2 XL. The LG V30 will probably be $200+ cheaper, and you can get the S8+ for $300+ cheaper (for example on Amazon, etc.). With the Pixel, you're paying up to $300+ more for generally inferior hardware features/specs and an uglier device, so I see it as a poor value proposition. The only real advantage with the Pixel is faster Android updates, but it's still a less feature rich design than Samsung/LG phones, which add a lot of bonus software options to base Android. For example, while the Pixel camera is highly rated, the camera software has far less options to play with than the Samsung or LG phones. Plus, you can just put Nova Launcher on all Android phones and get a similar software experience.

As far as the iPhone X, you just have to decide whether you want iOS or Android - that decision is more important than the actual phone selection.
- If you're invested into stuff like the Apple Watch, etc., it's probably a bad idea to go with an Android phone.
- Android gives you much more extensive options for customization. If you're used to Android and love fiddling and personalizing your phone setup, iOS will feel stale and drive you nuts.
- IPhones generally have much broader accessory availability. You're likely to have limited local availability on stuff like battery cases with Android phones - or at least with anything but Samsung Android phones.
- Some people can not live without iMessage
- Apple support is generally much better than support from Android manufacturers, given the large distribution of Apple stores, and fact you can just walk into them and get help.
- Apple phones hold their resale value significantly better than Android phones.
- iPhones tend to be behind top Android flagships in terms of hardware design and often implement features only several generations after they are available on Android, so they can feel somewhat outdated compared to Samsung's latest.
But pixel2 has better camera and much better software thanks to Google apps that work only with pixel

But huge difference is infinitely better support from Google vs Samsung

I have no idea why Samsung doesn't have support to match their price
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16227 posts
1046 upvotes
Woodbridge
When Apple has a better hardware than Android and cost less. Not to mention better resale value. Do you really need to ask.

At the end it's which OS you prefer.

I never compare Cameras I could care less. IMO all these flagships and even Midrange are pretty close, you really have to be anal about it.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jul 30, 2017
70 posts
13 upvotes
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 12:58 pm
But pixel2 has better camera and much better software thanks to Google apps that work only with pixel

But huge difference is infinitely better support from Google vs Samsung

I have no idea why Samsung doesn't have support to match their price
It's highly debatable whether the Pixel has a better camera. Yes, it had a higher DXOMark score than anything else on the market, but that doesn't necessarily translate to real life. And, unlike pretty much every recent flagship, the Pixel doesn't have a dual camera, and the camera software itself is very bare bones and lacks the feature set that Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. have.

What Google apps only work with the Pixel? Other than other phones not having Oreo yet (but should in the next few months), I am pretty sure that almost all Google apps can work across Android. Even Pixel specific features like Google Assistant being on the first Pixel only were quickly ported to other Android devices. You can also pretty much replicate the Pixel look and feel and "smoothness" by using something like Nova Launcher on any Android device. With a Pixel, you can't replicate the missing hardware features (wireless charging, IP68 water resistance, dual cameras, headphone jack, bezel-less display, etc.)
Dec 28, 2015
371 posts
105 upvotes
Westmount, QC
With hardware very similar now, it's all in software and Google is way ahead of everybody especially apple let alone other Android phone makers...

Google's photo processing is way ahead of others as well and you end up with better pics on same hardware

And all the ambient software that's pixel only is a big advantage due to Google's huge advantage in AI, machine learning and leveraging it into their hardware
Jul 30, 2017
70 posts
13 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 1:04 pm
When Apple has a better hardware than Android and cost less. Not to mention better resale value. Do you really need to ask.

At the end it's which OS you prefer.

I never compare Cameras I could care less. IMO all these flagships and even Midrange are pretty close, you really have to be anal about it.
Agreed that there probably is little difference in camera quality between the LG G6/V30, Samsung S8/Note 8, Pixel 2, iPhone 8/X, HTC U11, etc. that would be noticable to the average user. All of them have amazing cameras. The variance is more in feature sets - LG will be better if you prefer wide angle shots, Samsung/Apple if you prefer portrait/Boka effects, etc.

No, Apple doesn't have better hardware nor does it cost less. The iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB is about the same price as the Note 8, and you are probably going to have to go with the 256 GB since it doesn't have an SD card slot, and 64 GB is probably not enough. Plus, if you want fast charging (Apple doesn't include a proper charger in the box), add another $80, and add another $200-$300 to move up to the iPhone X. The top end Apple phone is effectively close to $400 over the top end Android phone. And, that's comparing the Note 8 which is the most expensive Android device. You can easily go into the $700 price range and get a great Android phone like the OnePlus, HTC U11, etc. To get an iPhone in that price range, you've got to step down to a trash tier 4.7 inch or smaller screen and a 2+ year old model.

As far as better hardware, not a chance. The only advantages Apple has is a CPU that performs better on benchmarks and better standby battery life. Apple screens on everything lower than the X are trash - LCD and cap out at 1080p. The X finally adopts AMOLED (which has been on Androids since what 2012), but even the X screen only has half the max brightness of the Note 8 screen and 0.6 less screen size (even less than that when you factor in the lost real estate from the notch). The X's screen is a low end version of what has been on Samsung flagships for years. Plus, Androids have significantly more RAM (6 GB on the Note vs 3 GB on the X), and while that is mitigated by OS optimizations, there are several multitasking tests on YouTube that show the iPhone having to reload apps significantly earlier on than 6-8 GB Android devices, meaning that if you are a power user and leave lots of apps open, you will see reduced real world performance, web browser tab reloads, etc. a lot more on the iPhone.
Jul 30, 2017
70 posts
13 upvotes
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 1:16 pm
With hardware very similar now, it's all in software and Google is way ahead of everybody especially apple let alone other Android phone makers...

Google's photo processing is way ahead of others as well and you end up with better pics on same hardware

And all the ambient software that's pixel only is a big advantage due to Google's huge advantage in AI, machine learning and leveraging it into their hardware
The real world testing from last year's Pixel didn't bear this out at all. The general consensus is that the S7 (and later S8), iPhone 7 Plus and Pixel XL's cameras all had strengths and weaknesses and that there was clear "best camera setup". In fact, some of the reviews found that last year's Pixel camera, despite getting the best DXO benchmark score, actually was inferior to both the iPhone 7 and S7 Edge.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/camera-fac ... -3973.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/google-p ... on-2016-10
https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/133 ... comparison
https://www.androidcentral.com/camera-c ... xy-s7-edge