• Dec 31st, 2017 8:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3096 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto

Pizza - Single slice vs takeout/delivery

Why is it that I can go to almost any (even pizza pizza aka cardboard) pizza place and buy a single slice and it be the best thing on earth. Crispy, hot and the crust is the perfect combo of crunchy and soft. Just destroyed such a slice at my local Pizza Nova.

BUT God forbid I decide to order a pizza for takeout or delivery I get a mixed bag. Sometimes undercooked, sometimes burnt, too saucy, no toppings, etc. It’s almost as if they take extra pride in the single slices. Also I would love a partly cooked pizza thrown into the oven/warmer for a second bake to develop that super crunch on the bottom.

Anyone else share this though??
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
28 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16793 posts
4459 upvotes
Toronto
The single slices are generally stale and have been sitting out for so long. It's probably crispy because it is reheated twice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3096 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 3:15 pm
The single slices are generally stale and have been sitting out for so long. It's probably crispy because it is reheated twice.
You sure they are stale? Every place I've been in I see them constantly loading in new ones.
Ebay Feedback
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14561 posts
2692 upvotes
Toronto
Slices do not sit for long at most pizza places.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4252 posts
1730 upvotes
Mississauga
Depending on the time of day slices won’t sit around too long. And yes, throwing a previous cooked slice into the oven does a surprisingly good job at crisping up the crust and softening the cheese.

Having pizza delivered is the worst because it sits in that foil bag for goodness knows how long before it gets to your door.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11221 posts
1862 upvotes
Probably because a slice is consumed on the spot. Meanwhile takeout/delivery can be upwards of 30 mins to an hour before consumed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9149 posts
460 upvotes
Mississauga
At Nova I still prefer their fresh full pizza's over the single slices.... but on the run the singles do the trick
RFD 36-0-0
Ebay 31-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5472 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
Although I haven't had Pizza Pizza in years, I remember their slices (if they move) are usually a lot better than their takeout. Order takeout at a Pizza Pizza on NYE evening for example, there will be a good chance you'll get the crappiest, undercooked pizza imaginable from filling a lot of orders they can barely handle.

Anywhere else, I find the opposite and most of the slices terrible unless you get it straight out of the oven and not reheated. Whole pizzas are pretty good at a quality place.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Dec 30, 2016
47 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
carmaster wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 3:15 pm
Yup, that's my experience too. Had to order a whole pizza from pizza pizza to get some eatable pizza. Haven't had a slice pizza in years.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11221 posts
1862 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 9:59 pm
Although I haven't had Pizza Pizza in years, I remember their slices (if they move) are usually a lot better than their takeout. Order takeout at a Pizza Pizza on NYE evening for example, there will be a good chance you'll get the crappiest, undercooked pizza imaginable from filling a lot of orders they can barely handle.

Anywhere else, I find the opposite and most of the slices terrible unless you get it straight out of the oven and not reheated. Whole pizzas are pretty good at a quality place.
Or Superbowl. Many years ago, I ordered 2 pizzas, somehow one was under cooked and the other was burnt to a crisp.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3096 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Pizza Pizza 9/10 times is turd, regardless of slice vs whole. Nova for me has always been better in slice form as the whole one doesn't get the same double crisp action. Is it possible to order a double cooked but not burnt whole pizza? Well done is the original Carbone pizza lol.

Also there are much better joints then my first examples (Descendant, Maker Pizza, Blaze) but just talking about the franchised type places where you can order a slice. I find the opposite with Pizzaiolo, the whole pizza is much better then the slices.
Ebay Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5472 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
Shiznacka wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 9:34 am
Pizza Pizza 9/10 times is turd, regardless of slice vs whole. Nova for me has always been better in slice form as the whole one doesn't get the same double crisp action. Is it possible to order a double cooked but not burnt whole pizza? Well done is the original Carbone pizza lol.

Also there are much better joints then my first examples (Descendant, Maker Pizza, Blaze) but just talking about the franchised type places where you can order a slice. I find the opposite with Pizzaiolo, the whole pizza is much better then the slices.
If you like Nova slices and not whole pizza, they have an option where you can mix & match slices to make a full pizza. I forgot what the price was, a little cheaper than buying 6 average priced slices of I'm not mistaken.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
I have always ordered from Pizza Pizza. I have had Pizza Nova before too. I like them both but I am just used to ordering from Pizza Pizza because I already have a system set up to order from them. I choose my toppings and my fillings based on my mood. I forgot to mention that I have Pizza Hut pizza as well but the Pizza is completely different. I also had other types of Pizza at more "classy" or "ghetto' or "stylish" or "hipster-ish" areas where the Pizza is extremely thin or gourmet.

Anyhow, I've noticed that we have only been discussing about Pizza Pizza and Pizza Nova so I will contribute to this conversation. My elementary school used to mass order either Cheese Pizza or Pepperoni Pizza on Pizza Day from Pizza Pizza. One of the previous posters mentioned that Pizza Pizza cannot mass produce on new year's eve, I would like to add that the Pizza served on Pizza Day was stale. I used to stay for lunch on Pizza Day for the Pizza only to get a slice or two of stale Pizza. After that, I decided to not stay for Pizza Day. Elementary School's Pizza Day is a great way to practice for NYE.

Edit: Maybe Stale is too hard of a word to use. I will change it to by the time it gets to my mouth it's no longer fresh. It's hard. I eat the crust anyways but the Pizza from Pizza Pizza is much better when I do the ordering.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
1972 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
I never take a pizza slice so I can't really compare.

The slices probably aren't sitting out there for more than a few hours but sometimes (especially during the summer), flies or other insect get in the stores and sit on the pizza slices (especially since Pizza Pizza doesn't have an enclosed display). Granted a fly could have landed where they prepare the pizza or the people who prepare the pizzas aren't very clean but still, I can only go so far.

Same reason why I do not get Tim Horton donuts in the summer.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4424 posts
1500 upvotes
Take a look at this:

http://www.pizzapizza.ca/nutrition/

Compare a walk-in slice with 2 slices of an x-large.

I will do it for you:

Traditional Pepperoni: 284 g (walk-in) vs 224 g (2 times 112 g) (x-large)

The walk-in slice has 21% more stuff.

Does this sound right?

Or am I wrong and that walk-in pizzas are a unique special size?

If they are the same, than pizza pizza's own website tells you that walk-in slices are more packed.

In addition, you have to remember that walk-ins probably spend more on things like pop.

Pop is a very high profit margin item.

So, it's in Pizza Pizza's best interest to make great walk-in slices.

Yes, they will have to serve more people, but when those people are paying more per slice (including pop), they can splurge a little bit on the toppings to give the customer a better experience.

When the customer has a better experience, they are more likely to walk-in and buy the slice and pop.

Did people really think Pizza Pizza would sell whole pizzas at a fraction of the cost and expect the same treatment as someone who pays more?