Food & Drink

Pizza toppings - under or on top of the cheese?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2005 9:22 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Where do the toppings go?

• Total votes: 56. You have voted on this poll.
On top of the cheese

61%
Under the cheese

36%
Indifferent

4%
Sep 5, 2005
973 posts
Ottawa

Pizza toppings - under or on top of the cheese?

Do you prefer toppings under, or on top of the cheese? Indifferent?

IMO, it's a TOPping.. it goes on top of the cheese. Underneath, especially for meats is just nasty.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4985 posts
416 upvotes
If I make my own pizzas I'll put sauce, then cheese on the dough, then ingredient #1, then a thin layer of cheese, then ingredient #2, then another thin layer of cheese, then ingredient #3, then another thin layer of cheese, etc.
Jul 16, 2003
15 posts
Vancouver
Certain ingredients - like spinach, or mushrooms need to go under the cheese or they dry out.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4662 posts
170 upvotes
As long as you don't go super-rookie-crazy with the toppings then I believe that the cheese goes first and then the toppings on top. That's why they are called toppings. :razz:

But really, i've made a ton of pizzas both ways and I prefer the cheese first because as long as you don't overdo the toppings, the toppings will sink and mix with the melted cheese and it will keep the pizza intact. Structural integrity.

If you put the cheese last then you run the very real risk of your toppings, covered in cheese, sliding all over the place and worse, off your dough completely.

That's because the cheese on top melts and tends to congeal with all the other cheese forming a layer. The toppings on the bottom are only in contact with your pizza sauce and thus has no real binding agent which causes a slippery situation.

If you ever go to a real pizzeria you'll usually see the cheese put on first. You can always put more cheese on top later on but the cheese on bottom is the way to go.

Thank you, this is my last dissertation on cheese on pizzas.
He .... looka lika MAN!

I tell you every ting!

----------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13267 posts
228 upvotes
Midland
Another thing to consider is if the topping are under the cheese, they many heat up enough to cook thoroughly, even though the cheese will be melted. :)
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
I put onions and tomatoes on the top. The tomatoes have so much water, so if they are under the cheese, they tend to make the pizza a bit soggy and don't really cook at all. They will also slow down the cooking time of the pizza. Onions, I will put on a bit of cheese and then the onions , then a bit more cheese. As the onions cook, the smell is fantastic. Afterwards, drizzle with a bit of olive oil (only good stuff though) and devour.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I've always had toppings on top (what a surprise!), where can I find a good place that puts cheese after?
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Aug 14, 2005
156 posts
1 upvote
Richmond, BC
aside from pepperoni and other sliced items, anyone ever consider mixing all your toppings in a bowl with the cheese before you put it on the dough? that should give you a good mix of toppings and cheese and it shouldn't slide off.

take it from an ex pizza hut cook ;)
Apr 25, 2004
133 posts
2 upvotes
ryosuke003 wrote:take it from an ex pizza hut cook ;)
No offence but I don't know why anyone would take any cooking tips from someone at pizza hut. They definately don't know how to make pizza. You personally may be a great pizza cook but you didn't learn it from pizza hut. Or maybe they are better in B.C. than Ontario.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
1516 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby, B.C.
AudiDude wrote:I put onions and tomatoes on the top. The tomatoes have so much water, so if they are under the cheese, they tend to make the pizza a bit soggy and don't really cook at all. They will also slow down the cooking time of the pizza. Onions, I will put on a bit of cheese and then the onions , then a bit more cheese. As the onions cook, the smell is fantastic. Afterwards, drizzle with a bit of olive oil (only good stuff though) and devour.
Yah, I've had pizza where the veggies were under the cheese, and it's just nasty. Undercooked, soggy and tastes raw. You definitely need to put the veggies on top of the cheese.
Jul 1, 2005
974 posts
29 upvotes
if i were to make a pizza, which i dont know how. I would put so much topping and cheese on it that u prolly be full after the 2nd slices.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Cheese always goes on the pizza first, then the topping. But I like to top it off with a little bit more sprinkling of cheese after that. Not smothering the toppings but a bit more. So technically, there's a bit of cheese on the toppings if i make my own pizza. :D
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
NDman wrote:Cheese always goes on the pizza first, then the topping. But I like to top it off with a little bit more sprinkling of cheese after that. Not smothering the toppings but a bit more. So technically, there's a bit of cheese on the toppings if i make my own pizza. :D
That sounds like the best way to do it.

Any place in Toronto sell it that way, at an affordable (as in, not sit-down restaurant) price?
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Aug 14, 2005
156 posts
1 upvote
Richmond, BC
mrsauga wrote:No offence but I don't know why anyone would take any cooking tips from someone at pizza hut. They definately don't know how to make pizza. You personally may be a great pizza cook but you didn't learn it from pizza hut. Or maybe they are better in B.C. than Ontario.
I guess its all personal preference then, because I still like Pizza Hut and there are probably others who do as well. Perhaps you can educate me on why they don't know how to make pizza?

I grew up in Mississauga actually, worked at the pizza hut at hwy10 and eglinton (yes, it's still a **** imo despite working there for 2 years). Mind you, it does depend on the cook who's working. Because there's such a high turnaround on the staff there are newbs making pizzas or dough all the time, but if you have an experienced staff in the kitchen then the pizzas are generally on par with standards. Even then it depends on the morale because the pay is so low that on some nights we wouldn't give two sh|ts how the pizza came out. So it's not really the fact that Pizza Hut doesn't know how to make pizza, it all comes down to the staff who make it. And yes, I did learn how to make pizza from Pizza Hut and I can make a damn good pizza when I want to.

As for soggy crusts, if you use toppings that have more water content in them, then yea the pizza does get soggy (tomatoes and pineapples are the worst). That's why we put veggie lovers in the oven longer than others.

For mixed toppings, you'd want a considerably higher ratio of cheese to toppings so that toppings generally don't get under the cheese and in the end it should practically come out the same as the three layers (cheese, toppings, cheese)
× < >