• Sep 22nd, 2014 2:27 pm
Tags:
Banned
May 3, 2008
302 posts
42 upvotes
toronto

PL Premium gas off?

I used about 4 tubes to put some stone veneer up. It is suppose to cure in 24-48 hours, it has been 5 days and it still smells sort of sweet glue. I think i am allergic, the first day i felt really sick.
Any idea how long it will take to total gas off? What sort of glue should i use to finish the job?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1164 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
It will depend on
how much has been exposed,
The air quality in your home
How often and how many windows you have open each day.
Size of the room and or home.
Whether the used tubes were placed outsize or still in the home.
Among other variable.

I would imagine the odor is not as strong as the first day and how long will it take to "gas off" will depend on how sensitive your sense of smell is.

PL Premium is a strong and versatile adhesive, any reason you didn't use a proper thin-set with spacers?
Banned
May 3, 2008
302 posts
42 upvotes
toronto
I had the same problem with thin set so thought this might be better, but now this might be worse. It is only attached to plywood, i might try no nails white glue, no one is meant to touch these veneer, so even the pl premium is overkill. But that's what the veneer is held together with the same polyurethane.

I hope that it does cure or gas out, i would hate to rip it out. I have enclosed in plastic for and funnel to a window... I am disappointing, they should label things much better in Canada. It is only when you read the mds do you see the real story. They claim it is for interior use.

the stone btw, deal hunters, is a deal!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-renovation-floor ... 1019435067
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1164 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
FreddyDriver wrote: I am disappointing, they should label things much better in Canada. It is only when you read the mds do you see the real story. They claim it is for interior use.
In my lifetime I've probably used about 50 tubes of PL Premium and I've never had any issues with odor even when first applied. If you knew you were extra sensitive to odors the MSDS information would have been the first thing I would have read. I would also agree that thin set would have created less odor over the long run.

The only thing you can do now is have proper ventilation which will be the key. How much it bothers you will determine to what extend you should go with fans, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6823 posts
1481 upvotes
Manitoba
You used it for stone veneer? The problem with that is the stone is non porous so the solvents have difficulty escaping - they certainly can't go through the stone. It's going to be very slow drying for sure. I've always used PL with drywall, wood and the like, very porous materials which allow the PL to dry quickly and I've never had a problem. I don't know anything about stone but I would have though that an epoxy material - if there is such a thing - would have been better because it "sets" rather than "dries".