Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7029 posts
665 upvotes
GTA

Place to Choose a Granite Slab in the GTA area

I'm looking for granite for my kitchens and bathrooms. A friend recently had granite installed and the colour was not similar at all to the sample they picked from. I understand there are places you can go to and pick the actual granite slab that will be installed.

I'm in Mississauga. Can anyone recommend a good place anywhere in the GTA area where you can go and select the actual granite slab that will be installed? Thanks.
21 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7029 posts
665 upvotes
GTA
Regin8r wrote:
Aug 21st, 2008 6:47 am
A quick search for "granite" and you would have found this thread:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ht=granite
Thanks, but I did search and have been following that thread however, it doesn't answer my question which is why I posted this specific question.

As I posted, I'm specifically looking for places that allow you to pick from actual granite slabs and that thread doesn't mention that at all or whether the places recommended actually have the large granite slabs for you to pick the actual one that will be installed in your home.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place that allows you to pick from an actual granite slab rather than just samples? I have found a few on the internet but am wondering if anyone has a specific place they recommend. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
sillysimms wrote:
Aug 20th, 2008 11:01 pm
I'm looking for granite for my kitchens and bathrooms. A friend recently had granite installed and the colour was not similar at all to the sample they picked from. I understand there are places you can go to and pick the actual granite slab that will be installed.

I'm in Mississauga. Can anyone recommend a good place anywhere in the GTA area where you can go and select the actual granite slab that will be installed? Thanks.
Try Tristar Marble & Granite Corp. 905-450-5151 54 Bramsteele Rd. Unit #15, Brampton, ontario and speak to Matine Morb, the owner. I used them 3 times already and everytime I needed work done, I would go their shop, pick the slab/colour on one wall and on the opposite side is the machinery where they cut it!!!! His prices are very good. He drove all the way down to Hamilton to install my inlaws kitchen and didn't charge anything extra!!!!

sk
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7029 posts
665 upvotes
GTA
sunnybono wrote:
Aug 21st, 2008 3:43 pm
Try Tristar Marble & Granite Corp. 905-450-5151 54 Bramsteele Rd. Unit #15, Brampton, ontario and speak to Matine Morb, the owner. I used them 3 times already and everytime I needed work done, I would go their shop, pick the slab/colour on one wall and on the opposite side is the machinery where they cut it!!!! His prices are very good. He drove all the way down to Hamilton to install my inlaws kitchen and didn't charge anything extra!!!!

sk
Thanks so much for the recommendation! They're actually one of the companies that I found while looking for granite places on the internet, so I will go and take a look.
Dec 18, 2007
355 posts
Mississauga
I used Toronto Granite (Tempo Tech). And yes, you can pick the actual slab. It is a standard size. I believe its 96" x 26(?) or something close to that. They do their own cutting and right on site. I dealt with Mark. They had the best price around.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7029 posts
665 upvotes
GTA
sovexxed wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2008 9:24 am
I used Toronto Granite (Tempo Tech). And yes, you can pick the actual slab. It is a standard size. I believe its 96" x 26(?) or something close to that. They do their own cutting and right on site. I dealt with Mark. They had the best price around.
Thank you! I will take a look there as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1124 posts
18 upvotes
Watch out for radon in some granite counter tops. There was an article in the NY times that stated some of the more exotic one from S. America and Africa emit high levels of gas.
Jul 23, 2007
852 posts
7 upvotes
sovexxed wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2008 9:24 am
I was looking at that website before. There prices seem very reasonable. Just wondering if you paid the price on the website? Also wondering if they installed for you and if they had anything thicker then 3/4 inch?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1579 posts
32 upvotes
Etobicoke
You should just go my buddies house. Every piece of furniture has a granite countertop on it. His kitchen table is a granite base with a granite top. :lol:
May 3, 2009
569 posts
45 upvotes
voodoo401 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2008 4:28 pm
Watch out for radon in some granite counter tops. There was an article in the NY times that stated some of the more exotic one from S. America and Africa emit high levels of gas.
I realize this is old, but since it has been refreshed, I have to say that radon is also in our water, concrete and even us. The radon scare is a marketing tactic by the solid surface world since everyone wants granite these days. As we all know the media hears a story and blows it out of proportion. Yes there is radon emissions but so minimal we do not have to worry.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Bump.

I'm going to get Toronto Granite to fabricate our new countertop, but we're still looking around for a good slab of granite. Toronto Granite has recommended Goldstar Stones and Centrestone. But they said they can basically use a slab from any wholesaler.

I know there are a bunch of granite slab suppliers in the Jane & Rutherford area... Which ones have the best selection?
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
May 19, 2008
972 posts
Atlas Stone & Granite Tile Inc 3135 Unity Drive Unit #5 Mississauga

My buddies fathers company....just tell them a TTC guy told you about them and he will treat you Royaly.....ask for Frank

I guarantee you they have the best prices in town, most of their stuff is imported from Brazil and not the cheap stuff you get out of China
Aug 17, 2009
17 posts
Mississauga
I would go to Interstone www.interstone.ca/interstone.html in the Jane and Langstaff area. Ask for Robert, one of the owner's sons.

Interstone is the largest distributor of granite in the GTA. They have an amazing selection. You can tag the material and then have it sent to your fabricator.

I used Latitude 416-638-856 www.latitudeonline.ca to fabricate and install my kitchen and bathroom. Apparently, Latitude does a lot of work with Interstone, so the two companies work well together.

Once Latitude templates your kitchen they will install it in eight business days. They have one of the fastest turnaround times in the industry and their workmanship is amazing.

While I didn't have any post installation service needs, I understand that they really stand behind they work.

Latitude also has a granite and quartz inventory to choose from. But Interstone has a larger granite selection than Latitude. If you want to choose quartz, Latitude has the largest selection of quartz in Toronto.

Latitude is also a distributor of Blanco sinks. If you buy your counter top there you also get wholesale pricing on Blanco sinks and faucets. www.blancocanada.com/en/
May 3, 2009
569 posts
45 upvotes
If you are after the best quality material, try Milestone, the quality is A+ and they have some semi precious materials. I currently am a worker there and get my material there. It is mostly 3/4" thickness with a few different 1.25" slabs also.
× < >