• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2018 8:21 pm
[OP]
Nov 12, 2013
110 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal

Place to park our cars when we are away on vacation for 7 weeks

Any tips for renting a place to park our cars for 7 weeks when we are abroad. We live in Montreal.
Many thanks!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1323 posts
280 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
where do you keep them now?
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4818 posts
922 upvotes
Ottawa
If you normally just use street parking, the best option is probably find a 'mini-storage' type location (most have outdoor spots for boats, trailers, rvs, etc.

For the cheapest price, you can look / post an ad on kijiji, lespacs, craigslist, etc. (not sure which one is used the most in Montreal).
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4818 posts
922 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 12:45 pm
Airport?
If you are really stuck, the airport is certainly a valid option but like most airports, YUL is quite expensive (cheapest is $120/week) so close to $1000 to leave the car there. You can likely find much cheaper options elsewhere.

Unfortunately, the Park-and-Ride isn't an option as you'll likely get towed after a few days. https://rtm.quebec/en/trip-planner/car/overnightparking
Sep 23, 2010
273 posts
316 upvotes
T Dot
No one you know and trust enough with spare driveway or garage space to ask? Even if you pay them $30-50/wk I would imagine that'd be win/win for everyone.
If offered I'd happily take that offer and park my car on the street for 2 months.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4226 posts
1296 upvotes
Moncton
There is free long term parking at the St. Lambert train station. But I have absolute no idea how Via/Amtrak control it. I have a cousin who parked there free for a week (but she was a genuine Amtrak train passenger).

I’ve parked for free for about 10 days at the Go Train station in Oshawa.

You could research local parking bylaws. Here in Moncton there is nothing stopping me from parking 24/7 on the street in front of my apartment from spring to fall.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3874 posts
1216 upvotes
markham
MonctonMan wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 5:45 pm
There is free long term parking at the St. Lambert train station. But I have absolute no idea how Via/Amtrak control it. I have a cousin who parked there free for a week (but she was a genuine Amtrak train passenger).

I’ve parked for free for about 10 days at the Go Train station in Oshawa.

You could research local parking bylaws. Here in Moncton there is nothing stopping me from parking 24/7 on the street in front of my apartment from spring to fall.
wow ..that kind of sounds risky..but obviously it was ok for you...I don't think you can get away with that long in Mississauga..not sure about the actual laws but I know a friend that works for Abrams towing.. one of his contracts is for parking removal in all of the Mississauga Go parking lots..maybe different there.