Off Topic Archive

Locked: Which places have lowest dispensing fees? (PHARMACY)

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2012 9:50 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 24, 2008
762 posts
25 upvotes
kfc wrote:
May 19th, 2006 10:37 pm
Hi,

Just out of curiosity which places have the lowest dispensing fees? I noticed recently that my company will only cover dispensing fees up to a maximum of $8.

Some places like shoppers I know charge a whopping $11-$13.

Anywhere that has a dispensing fee less than $8? I believe dominion's charged me $9 at one time.

Any cheaper?
pls let me know THANKS!

you can ask to get all the refills at once... so its only 1 dispense fee
Nov 8, 2010
963 posts
202 upvotes
quickinferno wrote:
Apr 21st, 2011 11:14 pm
you can ask to get all the refills at once... so its only 1 dispense fee
Most insurance companies will only pay for a 90 or 100 day supply at once. They don't want to pay for a year's worth of drugs and have your doctor then change your meds a couple of month later.

So maybe this will work if you have no insurance, I'm not sure. (Or if the total amount of drugs is less than 100 days).
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1055 posts
823 upvotes
Toronto
I usually take all of my prescriptions to Honest Ed's. I think it's just a $10 dispensing fee. The pharmacist is great, she's an older woman, but she knows her stuff.
Oct 12, 2009
288 posts
67 upvotes
no frills and main drug stores
2010 Contest Wins: 0
Deal Addict
May 20, 2002
2010 posts
15 upvotes
I can confirm that you don't need to be a member to take advantage of Costco's lowest dispensing fee of only $3.89. :) What's even better is that they waived the fee when I used a "therapeutic evaluation" coupon, unlike the pharmacy in the medical centre which would have still charged its $11.99 dispensing fee. Shoppers also has the $11.99 rip-off fee.
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1137 upvotes
Mississauga East
Try Costco
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
947 upvotes
Mississauga
I use Costco.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8115 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
3.89 dispensing fee, the rest of the difference from 11.99 spent on food hahaha
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8013 posts
1191 upvotes
London
eBuddy wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 5:02 pm
I can confirm that you don't need to be a member to take advantage of Costco's lowest dispensing fee of only $3.89. :) What's even better is that they waived the fee when I used a "therapeutic evaluation" coupon, unlike the pharmacy in the medical centre which would have still charged its $11.99 dispensing fee. Shoppers also has the $11.99 rip-off fee.

Where else can you get a script filled and have a few snacks at the same time?
Jan 12, 2008
20 posts
I recently started using a company called pharmapost.ca for my maintenance medications.

Their fee is very reasonable, at $7.95, and they will send you (via courier/post) a 90 day supply. I personally hate waiting in the Pharmacy all the time, and buying other unnecessary items...so this works out perfectly. I really appreciate that they send me my renewal early, so I am never out of meds.

The fee they charge INCLUDES delivery, and it is really easy to sign up. Just visit www.pharmapost.ca

Good deal hunting!!

AirbusGuy!
Deal Addict
May 20, 2002
2010 posts
15 upvotes
In addition to having the lowest dispensing fee, Costco may also charge much less for medicines than other pharmacies. My total cost for a prescription was $103 at Costco (including the $3.89 dispensing fee) compared to a whopping $130 or over 25% more at a pharmacy in a medical centre. :-0
Keigotw wrote:
Dec 14th, 2009 5:52 pm
ok .... lowest dispensing fees
but does it mean the drug/medicine is same price?? or maybe cost more??
or less? than the stores with higher dispensing fees
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
As a few have said, Costco.

No you do not need to be a member as they are not allowed to denyyou service based on membership.
Nov 8, 2011
57 posts
What's the difference between the dispensing fee for ODB and non-ODB customers? Why is it charged so differently?

thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2449 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
jamesmd wrote:
Feb 11th, 2012 5:32 pm
What's the difference between the dispensing fee for ODB and non-ODB customers? Why is it charged so differently?

thanks

long story short government wants to save money by giving a barely adequate fee, but seniors usually take a couple of medications too so it's still worthwhile

government pays $6.2 dispensing fee, then the pharmacy is supposed to collect $2 from the patient as co-pay (low/no income people, or $6.11 for high income seniors), but some pharmacies waive the $2 just to keep them from going elsewhere, so some get meds for free, high income ones (>~$15k/yr) pay $4.11
Nov 8, 2011
57 posts
thanks so the dispensing fee on those yellow signs they have up isn't for everyone? what about people with insurance would they pay the same dispensing fee as me paying cash? or is there a special fee for people on insurance? thanks
× < >