Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 1, 2005
643 posts
16 upvotes
Leslieville

places that process .raw? (wedding)

Are there any places/studios that processes .raw images?

I'm planning on getting wedding pictures taken by an amatuer who will be decent on the camera (decent body, fast lenses, flashes) but we do not have the processing skills. It is going to be a very small/quick wedding/ reception and on extreme budget, we don't have the budget for a photography package.
12 replies
Jan 31, 2004
371 posts
128 upvotes
I would say that you should shoot jpeg. It doesn't sound like you will get any benefit from shooting raw.

But if you have your heart set on raw, you can play around with lightroom 3 beta (free for now) to develop the raws to your liking and convert them to high quality jpegs for printing.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
The processing is what actually takes me the most time and effort.

I don't think you will be able to find a studio who will be able to take this task on for you.

You'd probably get better results in your budget by asking your amateur photographer friend to shoot and edit everything for you?
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2849 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
silvermist99 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm planning on getting wedding pictures taken by an amatuer who will be decent on the camera (decent body, fast lenses, flashes) but we do not have the processing skills. It is going to be a very small/quick wedding/ reception and on extreme budget, we don't have the budget for a photography package.
What you are asking for makes no sense at all...First off any photog who thinks they has decent equip but cannot process raws has NO place selling their services for weddings.

Have you really found a photog who will shoot raw and give them to you untouched? That in itself is senseless as he is putting his name on an unfinished product.

Likewise, any studio who will take raws and process them is essentially "touching up" someone else's work who will still retain the rights and copyright of the photo (I don't know of any studio that will do that...for cheap)

If you are really on a tight budget, you'll get what you pay for...have this amateur of yours shoot in JPEG and be happy with the end result. Otherwise, pay your photog up front who has the creativeness and skills to capture, process and share a finished product you are happy with an will treasure.

Do you mind if I ask how much time you are looking for coverage and what is this extreme budget? You can PM me if you do not want to announce it to the whole webz... :o

EDIT: A few of my pro friends in the US outsource their processing to someone else. But the end results are very basic and "factory" looking. These studios will also only do it for account holders with a minimum amount of work brought in yearly.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
There are special cases of finding a graphic artists who will edit your photos for you. But it isn't cheap, they often charge $15-$25 or more a photo. See my PM regarding this... :)

Anyway, another thing to keep in mind is that if your friend is shooting in RAW, you can edit technical settings later on but if composition is way off - no amount of Photoshop in the world can ever change that.

There's also the issue of ownership that SENSEI has brought up, who retains the rights? Your amateur photographer sounds like a friend who is doing it for you for free? Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Think of it this way, this is your wedding - a once in a lifetime, special moment. Do you really want to have sub-par memories to look back on 40-50 years from now? ;)
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1301 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
SENSEI wrote:
Feb 9th, 2010 12:07 am
What you are asking for makes no sense at all...First off any photog who thinks they has decent equip but cannot process raws has NO place selling their services for weddings.

Have you really found a photog who will shoot raw and give them to you untouched? That in itself is senseless as he is putting his name on an unfinished product.

Likewise, any studio who will take raws and process them is essentially "touching up" someone else's work who will still retian the rights and copyright of the photo (I don't know of any studio that will do that.)

If you are really on a tight budget, you'll get what you pay for...have this amateur of yours shoot in JPEG and be happy with the end result. Otherwise, pay your photog up front who has the creativeness and skills to capture, process and share a finished product you are happy with an will treasure.

Do you mind if I ask how much time you are looking for coverage and what is this extreme budget? You can PM me if you do not want to announce it to the whole webz... :o

Did you read the OP's post? I think you missed the word AMATEUR in there somewhere.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1588 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
silvermist99 wrote:

i agree with the other posts that this is a pretty bizarre statement

basically, shooting and post-processing aren't independent....i often shoot knowing how im going to push or crop or touch up the image in some way...
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1110 posts
37 upvotes
I am the type who values good photographer but if you are on a tight budget .. you have to make scarfices.

I came across the following two photographers on Frugal Bride that have packages starting at $500. They aren't really my style but might work for your budget. I don't know them at all so please don't take this as a recommendation.

http://www.photobywillie.com
http://yesidophotos.com
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1839 posts
77 upvotes
Why dont you have him set the camera to shoot both JPEG and RAW. and Strictly shoot JPEG when he needs speed. All Cameras Can do this, and unless you need max FPS this mode will work fine, and when he does need the FPS it would be better to be shooting jpeg anyays (more fps usually, or at a least more images before the buffer is full).
Nikon D810, 16-35 F4, 70-200 F2.8 VR
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
95 upvotes
silvermist99 wrote:
I'm planning on getting wedding pictures taken by an amatuer who will be decent on the camera (decent body, fast lenses, flashes) but we do not have the processing skills.
Got to chime in with the crowd here - that's a statement that screams disappointment with your wedding pictures. You say this person will be decent on the camera, but then use the fact they have okay equipment as the reason? What about their ability? Composition, lighting, technical knowledge? Not being able to do post on digital images is they type of gap that raises questions about their other skills. Just because they've spent some money on equipment doesn't mean they know how to use it.

And to be honest, that description of the equipment could mean a D90 with a 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 with some cheap 3rd party flashes, which could be fine in the hands of a pro, but maybe not in a friend willing to do this for free/cheap.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1454 posts
80 upvotes
Just download Google Picasa and convert (play with) the .raw files yourself.
Banned
Oct 28, 2003
1741 posts
2 upvotes
Winnipeg, Mb
silvermist99 wrote:

Seeing that you are on a budget, and its a small wedding, why not just get your friend to shoot in jpeg already? Raw can only save you so much, and usually thats when you make mistakes on either over/under exposing by a lot, or your wb is way off, and even then, it can only save you some of the time.. Well thats the advantages I find mostly with raw anways.

Is it something you heard over the interwebs where you have to have RAW files instead of jpeg? Any other specific reason?
beep beep bop beep bup
Oct 12, 2004
232 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
v_tofu wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 4:50 pm
or your wb is way off, and even then, it can only save you some of the time..
Agreed with your points, but in case you didn't know, your white balance can be completely off and can be adjusted with no quality consequences if you shoot in RAW since the white balance setting is a process of the camera settings (JPEG)