Entertainment

Places that sell 4K UHD disc movies in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 3:54 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes

Places that sell 4K UHD disc movies in Canada?

It seems that the only retailers in Canada that sell new 4K Ultra HD blu-ray disc combos are:

amazon.ca
bestbuy.ca
walmart.ca

As of this posting, Best Buy Canada does not even have listings for some major 4K UHD movies recently released such as the Nolan Batman Films.

According to people in their forums, Best Buy Canada only orders maybe two copies of the 4K versions of movies
to purchase at an actual brick and motar store location.

Apparently the 4K version of The Prestige is exclusive to Best Buy USA, therefore Amazon.com and Amazon.ca do not sell it.
I ended up ordering one on eBay for $65 after shipping and customs. Overpaid by about $30. Bestbuy.com does not ship to Canada, and Bestbuy.ca does not
have a listing for it.

On the other hand, if I buy from Amazon.com or eBay USA I get the English only packaging instead of the Canadian Bilingual one (English/French captioned cover and descriptions).
For most movies I do not care if it has bilingual packaging, but for some of my favourites I would rather pay extra to get the uncluttered version with only English titles and descriptions on the front and back covers.

USA cover:

Canadian Packaging:

Last edited by XFactor11 on Dec 28th, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Oct 17, 2007
517 posts
141 upvotes
Mississauga
zeusonline.ca also sells 4K/UHD discs.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Amazon

Bestbuy keeps reducing their physical media. Their selection is very limited in store and online. Walmart is similar (maybe slightly better than best buy). Amazon is really the only retailer keeping physical media going....

It does make me wonder. Are physical media sales that bad, or did Amazon capture that business by offering lower prices and starving out the competition. Either way, only have one real competitor that offers a decent selection isn't a good thing.
Dec 18, 2017
240 posts
137 upvotes
GVA
I use C&L a lot for my needs. I have bought a lot of hard to find stuff there as they are located few blocks from my workplace in Burnaby. LINK C&L and search 4K.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
I went with eBay to buy The Prestige 4K UHD but I probably will not receive it for another two to three weeks because it is from an eBay seller.

It is surprising that none of the retailers in Canada carry it.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
476 upvotes
I know it isn't Canada, but I often buy BD's from amazon.co.uk and have never, ever had taxes/duties applied.
The only thing you have to watch for is Region encoding if you don't have a multi-region player.
The 4K version of the Prestige says it is region free and £22 (~ 37.40 CAD) by the time you get it into your basket with shipping.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)