Art and Photography

Places to shoot in toronto? Experienced Photographers please read.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2008 1:40 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 5, 2007
21 posts
waterloo

Places to shoot in toronto? Experienced Photographers please read.

I am getting my olympus e-510 on friday with a camera backpack. What are some good places to shoot in toronto?

Do you guys have tips, including precautions to avoid mugging, and how often muggings occur in this city?

Thanks
Samson
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
wagthesam wrote: I am getting my olympus e-510 on friday with a camera backpack. What are some good places to shoot in toronto?

Do you guys have tips, including precautions to avoid mugging, and how often muggings occur in this city?

Thanks
Samson
....gulp...mugglings in Toronto...huk. :confused:

are you seriously trolling?
Jan 4, 2006
655 posts
3 upvotes
maybe not? what kinds of rumours about toronto do you hear from waterloo?

anyways, to answer the OP, your question is a bit broad, it really depends what kinds of shots you want, if you want cityscape, get on a boat, if you want landscape try edwards gardens (not sure if they're open now)...etc

as far as mugging is concerned, stay away from jane/finch area during night hours i guess.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
You have an entire city. Chances are, everyone and their grandma has taken pictures of all the famous spots in Toronto. What makes a photographer great is what he/she can see that no one else does. Go out exploring and have fun. I'm a firm believer of self-reliancy in instances like this where it's such a broad question to be answered.

Take for instance these shots of the Mississauga skyline from top of a condo that I took, most people have taken it in the morning from inside their condos. I took it to another perspective, went outside at night just as sunset gave way to the night. Mississauga - Dusk Till Night
Feb 7, 2004
300 posts
1 upvote
I took some shots a few weeks ago
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =736395709
1) UofT King's Circle
2) ROM
3) Casa Loma
4) Overpass on the DVP
5) CN Tower
6&7) Parking lot at Ontario Place
8) Broadview south of the suicide bridge

It depends on what you want to shoot.
I personally prefer night shots.
Those places i mentioned were pretty safe. No one was around when I was shooting.
Dec 26, 2006
916 posts
37 upvotes
deity_me wrote: I took some shots a few weeks ago

Those places i mentioned were pretty safe. No one was around when I was shooting.
I am not sure how comforting that is ! lol
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2879 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
It's kind of a weird season to be shooting. Dirty snow on the street, no real leaves out yet. People half-bundled, half-not.

Where to shoot depends on what you intend to shoot.
People? Buildings? Landscapes?

Honestly, you can go anywhere in this city and find tonnes of stuff to shoot depending what you want to get out of it.

Also, don't worry about muggings :lol:
Your equipment will be safe, especially if it's an e-510. Even thieves know not to steal crap. Just kidding...

You'll be surprised at how many people in the tourist areas will be walking around with DSLR's and even tripods. Like I said, it's off season for the main touristy areas, so it may be a bit quiet overall, but you're safe wither way.

Maybe if you give us some idea of what you want to shoot in particular...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
CSAgent wrote: Take for instance these shots of the Mississauga skyline from top of a condo that I took, most people have taken it in the morning from inside their condos. I took it to another perspective, went outside at night just as sunset gave way to the night. Mississauga - Dusk Till Night
Looks like they would have been taken from 156 Enfield?
Dec 20, 2006
633 posts
96 upvotes
deity_me wrote: I took some shots a few weeks ago
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =736395709
1) UofT King's Circle
2) ROM
3) Casa Loma
4) Overpass on the DVP
5) CN Tower
6&7) Parking lot at Ontario Place
8) Broadview south of the suicide bridge

It depends on what you want to shoot.
I personally prefer night shots.

One of your pics looks like it has a shooting star :) (a jet i assume)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)