None
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1360 posts
692 upvotes
Scarborough

Places to visit in Europe

Hey
Me and my buddy are going to Europe in October. We got a flight deal that lands in Stockholm, but we dont want to spend too much time there.

Do you guys have any suggestions on where we can or should visit. We want to see and do some exciting and interesting things. More adventurous the better.

Local Flights are pretty cheap so we have options I think..

Please let me know

Thanks!
-
19 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Look up the various countries tourism sites and see what interests you.

To some, adventure is the catacombs of Paris, or the ghost walk in London/Edinburgh. To someone else it's a pub crawl in Dublin or running with the bulls in Spain.

Considering you've given no info, it'll be almost impossibly for anyone to give you suggestions.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
October is the end of tourist season. Many things are closing down or closed for the season.
If anything, I suggest Barcelona as there are always things to do,although slowed down a bit but weekends are great. Ibiza is a party place, if that is what you are after.
Most major cities like London, Rome or, Paris will have certain things available. Berlin has even become a place to be.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Sep 6, 2009
343 posts
120 upvotes
Regina
How long will you be there?

It is always easy to want to try to get to as many places as possible. Don't do this. Choose a small number of places and do them well.

We spent 16 days in Europe in May-June. We visited three cities: London (7 days), Brighton (1 day) and Paris (8 days). That's it.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
Go to the library or bookstore and get one of the big Europe travel guides - preferably one with lots of glossy pictures in your case - and spend an hour making some notes on places/attractions that grab you.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1360 posts
692 upvotes
Scarborough
we have 10 days in europe. (First week of October)

To be honest, we are down for anything exciting/cool/adventurous

I know it sounds unorganized but we are looking for anything and open to ideas

And yes, I posted this deal in Hot Deals before.
-
Jul 4, 2007
334 posts
61 upvotes
Depending on what you mean the first week, Oktoberfest in Munich wraps up Oct 4. Although getting in on the weekend will be difficult. Otherwise, as others suggested, you really need to ask yourself what you want to do and see.

Want to explore museums, churches? Walk around old city squares and see old style architecture? Party on a beach? Party in a beer garden? Hike in the alps? etc.

You got lots of time, October is usually less busy, so don't rush anything.

Also for 10 days, you should try limit the places you visit, and preferably visit close to each other as you don't want to waste most of your time traveling. For example, Munich + Prague/Salzburg, or Amsterdam + Paris. Alternatively, overnight trains can be a good way to reduce the travel times.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: October is the end of tourist season. Many things are closing down or closed for the season.
If anything, I suggest Barcelona as there are always things to do,although slowed down a bit but weekends are great. Ibiza is a party place, if that is what you are after.
Most major cities like London, Rome or, Paris will have certain things available. Berlin has even become a place to be.
Ibiza would be good, but place more or less shuts down in Sept. Only a few of the major clubs stay open year round. I think Pacha and most of Cafe del Mar (board walk) are open year round, but the specific places on the CDM are hit and miss though.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
I know we found Stockholm and Oslo to be very expensive (I assume price is a concern if you are flying into Stockholm, that's an odd choice), and quite frankly, not as adventurous as other European destinations. Do not get me wrong, they are beautiful countries with great people, but if you're looking to walk around Roman ruins at Hadrian's Villa, it is not the place.

While I have never been, when you mention adventurous/exciting/cool - why not St Petersburg and other Russia cities? It's not that far out of the way from Stockholm, and in my mind, definitely very unconventional for western tourists.

For more "traditional" why not eastern Europe? Budapest/Prague are just a short flight from Stockholm (a couple hours) and between those two cities you can definitely find some interesting stuff (within them and around, like Cesky Krumlov: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g2746 ... tions.html)
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Just go to Berlin, Amsterdam and London. That will give you enough excitement for a while.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
STCman wrote: we have 10 days in europe. (First week of October)

To be honest, we are down for anything exciting/cool/adventurous

I know it sounds unorganized but we are looking for anything and open to ideas

And yes, I posted this deal in Hot Deals before.
It's really up to you. Europe is so big

For cheap, southern Europe - Portgual & Spain
Eastern Europe (Czech and etc.), Italy is okay too

Western Europe - France, Germany, etc.

Northern Europe - very $$$, I'd avoid, just like Zurich/Swiss

If you really don't have preference, I'll let the flight prices dictate
Go to Google Flights and explore, type in [Western Europe], [Eastern Europe], [Europe] etc.. with your dates, it'll show you where it's cheap
Also try multi-city, like YYZ-Lisbon, open-jaw, Barcelona-YYZ
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
Czech Repiublic and hungary....Prague/Budapest. It's not expensive
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
whistlepig wrote: Go to the library or bookstore and get one of the big Europe travel guides - preferably one with lots of glossy pictures in your case - and spend an hour making some notes on places/attractions that grab you.
Or buy the eBook (Kobo, Kindle, Apple Books) and read it on your smartphone like someone who lives in 2015. :) Lonely Plannet's Europe on a Shoe String and Rough Guide to Europe are staples. Wikitravel has a lot of info too. Most of Europe is in Google Streetview now.

The short answer to your question is Prague. Although Ukraine has adventure written all over it now, and you don't need a visa for the parts that aren't under Russian control.

Remember that Julian Assange found adventure in Sweeden. Stay safe and hapy travels.

PS. Canadians under 3O something can work in many European countries on a working holiday (apply from Canada).Pub/Bar work is easy to find since there are no tips.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
soty_614 wrote: overnight trains can be a good way to reduce the travel times.
This is 2015. Rynair, EasyJet and many others have rendered long distance trains useless. Although book ahead to keep things affordable. Most are in Google Flights. Saddly, EasyJet is not.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Jul 4, 2007
334 posts
61 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote: This is 2015. Rynair, EasyJet and many others have rendered long distance trains useless. Although book ahead to keep things affordable. Most are in Google Flights. Saddly, EasyJet is not.
Air is definitely something to consider but train travel can make alot of sense. Sometimes airports are an hour outside city in each place, combined with 2 hours arriving before flight. Trains will take you city centre to city centre, cheap, fast, reliable. Most people recommend anything around 4 to 5 hours to train instead of flight. Overnight trains have their benefits too. Always compare all options.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
whistlepig wrote: Go to the library or bookstore and get one of the big Europe travel guides - preferably one with lots of glossy pictures in your case - and spend an hour making some notes on places/attractions that grab you.
MonctonMan wrote: Or buy the eBook (Kobo, Kindle, Apple Books) and read it on your smartphone like someone who lives in 2015.
This is RFD - my suggestion was simply intended as a moneysaver. For example 'Europe on A Shoestring' on Kindle goes for 17 bucks.

MonctonMan wrote: This is 2015. Rynair, EasyJet and many others have rendered long distance trains useless.
The wisdom of the armchair traveller. ;)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote: This is 2015. Rynair, EasyJet and many others have rendered long distance trains useless. Although book ahead to keep things affordable. Most are in Google Flights. Saddly, EasyJet is not.
There are many reasons to take a train. RyanAir, Easyjet and others have made weekend travel for locals easy but for the vacationer, they are not always a good idea. Airport locations are the biggest drawback.
Train travel is fast, on time, to city centers and you can sleep on overnights saving a hotel room cost. You can even take food and drinks on bard and do not have to pay the outrageous airline prices.
MonctonMan...you gotta get out more. Google travel is just not that same as being there :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: There are many reasons to take a train. RyanAir, Easyjet and others have made weekend travel for locals easy but for the vacationer, they are not always a good idea. Airport locations are the biggest drawback.
Train travel is fast, on time, to city centers and you can sleep on overnights saving a hotel room cost. You can even take food and drinks on bard and do not have to pay the outrageous airline prices.
MonctonMan...you gotta get out more. Google travel is just not that same as being there :)
Planes, while cheaper in Europe aren't always the best option. Even if on an overnight train since you're not paying for a hotel (well depending the price you might)
But a lot of the cheaper flights land outside of major cities/airports. Paris has CDG vs. Orly. And London's Gatwick/Luton vs. Heathrow, the list goes on.

It's just something that one has to keep in mind, in addition to paying extra for putting luggage in the hold as opposed to carry-on only. That "deal" may not seem like much of a deal when all is said and done.